#COMPLETE: Crowne Plaza / 20 Hindmarsh Square - 15lvl/54m & 14lvl/51m - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > South Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Pistol78
Where am I?

Likes (Received): 2

#COMPLETE: Crowne Plaza / 20 Hindmarsh Square - 15lvl/54m & 14lvl/51m

Quote:
HINDMARSH Square is set to undergo a significant facelift with plans for a 15-storey hotel and 14-storey apartment complex on the old Wallis cinema site.
The proposal, unveiled to The Advertiser , has been lodged with Adelaide City Council with an estimated value of $140 million.
Named 20 Hindmarsh Square, the project comprises two towers over a three-level podium, including ground-floor retail facilities.
The hotel will include 250 rooms and will be run by an international chain, yet to be revealed.
The adjoining apartment complex will have 66 luxury residences.
Hotel and resident facilities will include a "resort-style" day spa with gymnasium, pool and treatment rooms, as well as conference and meeting rooms.
Hines Property director James Hines said the project would complement three other major new buildings planned for Hindmarsh Square - its Conservatory on Hindmarsh project and Urban Construct's two Aurora on Pirie towers - which could see $420 million worth of investment in the square over the next three years.
The Hines Group purchased the Wallis Academy Cinema site from owners Bob Lorna and Michelle Wallis earlier this year. The cinema complex will close on August 8.
"It is a very sensitive development, and a lot of thought has been put into what's being proposed," Mr Hines said.
"There is an ongoing demand for quality apartments in the CBD and this project will transform this corner of the square and continue to build the reputation of Hindmarsh Square as Adelaide's premium residential and commercial precinct.
"Adelaide City Council and the market are both telling us that more apartments and hotel accommodation are needed in the city, and the demand experienced for our recent projects has been testament to this."
Construction of the development is expected to start in early 2008 and be completed by the end of 2009.
There is also a website by Hines if you are interested in information. Click here
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #2
splashmo

Likes (Received): 0

Looks awesome! Great to see another development.
splashmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #3
StopTheWar
All i want is the truth

i think these have been hit with the ugly stick. not a whole lot different to commie blocks. wont improve the site IMO.

sad to see the Academy go, but i know its now outdated. it was Adelaide's Generation-X cinema.
StopTheWar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Pistol78
Where am I?

I really quite like this proposal. It looks quite Perth-esque (well East Perth anyway) and will add to the already vibrant Hindmarsh Square. I can't see how this can be compared to a commie block whatsoever. Using Stop The Wars logic, every apartment building would be considered a commie block.
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #5
sidler2

Yeah i agree pistol

I think this style suits Hindmarsh Sq nicely. The neutral colours/design fit well for this end of town.

I think these may sell better than conservatory to be honest. Being separated from Pultney/Grenfell by the square adds a bit of privacy and those western apartments are going to have some seriously good views.
sidler2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Pistol78
Where am I?

Sidler2 I thought I would give you an indication of the western aspect of those apartments. Would be an awesome view to wake up to.
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 489

Gosh this proposal is brilliant.
One of my favourite proposals at the moment.

That picture is awesome btw pistol, imagine it when COH goes up!
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #8
StopTheWar
All i want is the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol78 View Post
I really quite like this proposal. It looks quite Perth-esque (well East Perth anyway) and will add to the already vibrant Hindmarsh Square. I can't see how this can be compared to a commie block whatsoever. Using Stop The Wars logic, every apartment building would be considered a commie block.
there's no logic to aesthetics. i just think they look dull. they could've done a lot better with this site.

maybe its just me, but this was a place i spent a lot of my youth, now it will be replaced by some exclusive corporate fat-cat apartments and hotel which i wont use.
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Mozsmith

Not a fan of them - Cell Block A and B I assume they are going to be called.
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #10
mykal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozsmith View Post
Not a fan of them - Cell Block A and B I assume they are going to be called.
What do you expect? Adelaide is a very conservative city.

We won't be seeing anything as innovative as this any time soon:

That said, fingers crossed for the 125m on Currie street.

Last edited by mykal; June 10th, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
mykal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #11
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 2592

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopTheWar View Post
there's no logic to aesthetics. i just think they look dull. they could've done a lot better with this site.

maybe its just me, but this was a place i spent a lot of my youth, now it will be replaced by some exclusive corporate fat-cat apartments and hotel which i wont use.

A reasonable looking development, IMO.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Mozsmith

Mykal - I think Daniel Libeskind's work is amazing. The Fiera Milano ( which is featured in your picture) will be awesome when it is finished.

I really like this:

It is the new Royal Ontario Museum. <www.rom.on.ca>

or

Something unique, preferably Australian inspired is what Adelaide needs.
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #13
StopTheWar
All i want is the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post

A reasonable looking development, IMO.
ah ha... yeah have fun with that

and have fun standing back and staring at them getting your rocks off as you moan "oooooooooh density"

Last edited by StopTheWar; June 11th, 2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #14
Cruise
Crazy young doge man

Likes (Received): 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal View Post
What do you expect? Adelaide is a very conservative city.

We won't be seeing anything as innovative as this any time soon:

That said, fingers crossed for the 125m on Currie street.
Where is that? I love it!!!
Cruise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #15
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 33

Milano. Here is the thread on the project in the international section: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=444643

As far as the Hindmarsh Sq development goes, they look standard fodder for modern apartment buildings as far as the 1 render posted so far. Hard to tell yet.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #16
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 489

Well, I thought it looked brilliant.
I am shocked that there is some opposition.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #17
Mandelbrot

Likes (Received): 50

Nice.. but could the building not be set back in tiers? The facade is flush with the footpath the entire height of the buildings.. this would make that NE corner of the square dark and pokey.
Mandelbrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #18
crawf

Likes (Received): 591

Dam that view would be nice to wake up too

I quite like this development. Hindmarsh Square is going to be one different place in a few years time with this, Conservatory on Hindmarsh, the Pirie St Towers and the Hindmarsh Square Redevelopment.
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #19
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 590

Wow Adelaide has the same self hate as Perth on Ozscrapers at the moment. It's a good development and should not be compared to a commie block.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #20
beamer85

Likes (Received): 26

This is now approved:

Quote:
New Hotel and Apartment Complex for Hindmarsh Square

A $69.5 million proposal for a new apartment and hotel complex on the Academy Cinema site in Hindmarsh Square has been approved by the Adelaide City Council’s Development Assessment Panel.

The development, proposed by the Hines Property Group, involves demolishing the existing cinema building and constructing two new towers – one for residential apartments and the other for a hotel. The hotel tower will be 15 levels while the residential tower will be 14 levels. The total complex will provided 399 rooms.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison says the proposed development will deliver significant benefits for the City.

“This development is extremely exciting for the City. It will help deliver more residents to Adelaide as well as provide a new hotel to accommodate visitors.”

“It will also add to the City’s sustainability credentials. The planned development includes a number of green aspects such as a natural gas-fired heating and power turbine to heat the pool, spa and hot water system, a 5-star rated façade, sun shading to north facing windows and compact fluorescent lighting.”

“The developer is also proposing to collect roof rainwater in large tanks to use in toilets throughout the complex.”

“This is a great development for the East End and further adds to the excitement being generated around Hindmarsh Square,” he says.

The Lord Mayor says the development approval also highlights the Adelaide City Council’s excellent track record in dealing with development assessments, with cycle times for the City and North Adelaide averaging 37 days, and an approval rate of more than 90%.

“That compares very favourably with other Capital Cities, and is a testament to the Council’s pro-active approach to development assessment,” he says.

The proposal also includes car parking and commercial tenancies, while the towers would be linked at the ground, first and second floor levels.
beamer85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement