Emporium, PA - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME
» Development News | Baltimore / Washington DC| Buffalo / Niagara Falls | New Jersey | New York City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #1
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4940

Emporium, PA

Emporium is a borough in Cameron County, in north central Pennsylvania. The borough's population is around 2,500. Emporium is the seat of Cameron County.

Businesses on Fourth Street.

More businesses on Fourth Street.

The Cameron County Courthouse, on Fifth Street between Cherry & Chestnut Streets. The courthouse was built in 1890.

A house on Fourth Street.

Houses on Fourth Street.

A house on Chestnut Street.

A house on Fifth Street at Chestnut Street.

Houses on Fourth Street.

Houses on Second Street at Maple Street.

Houses on Fourth Street.

Houses on Broad Street.

Houses on Sixth Street.

A pizza place on Allegheny Avenue at Woodland Avenue.

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Evergrey
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare

Likes (Received): 5

amazing... you photographed Emporium almost exactly two years after I did... it's only 19 miles east of my hometown... and is one of the most remote settlements in PA (after Renovo and Austin). It's been in the news lately because a different pizza place on the main drag (Pizza Palace) was named "Best Pizza In The Northeast" by some magazine or media outlet due to their "cajun chicken pizza" ... it really is a scenic little town... tucked tightly in that narrow valley bounded by steep wooded mountains... far from any other town... the social scene is obviously quite limited... but I feel like it has its charms... certainly some attractive Victorian houses (and I love that courthouse!)... and there's just a "freshness" in the air on a cool summer night

I've never been to Luigi's... but I remember seeing it whenever we would travel to Cameron County High School to play them in football... always wanted to try it

Last edited by Evergrey; April 15th, 2008 at 04:58 AM.
Evergrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #3
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
it really is a scenic little town... tucked tightly in that narrow valley bounded by steep wooded mountains... far from any other town... the social scene is obviously quite limited... but I feel like it has its charms... certainly some attractive Victorian houses (and I love that courthouse!)... and there's just a "freshness" in the air on a cool summer night
Emporium seems like a really nice little quiet town, especially with that picture that you posted in the Northeast Photo Thread.

Actually, when I think of it, Emporium seems a lot like the fictional town of Mayberry, except in the north. Mayberry is a really small town (just a few thousand) in a sparsely-populated county; Emporium has a couple thousand residents, and the entire county has about 6,000 residents. There is no major road anywhere near Mayberry, and the way in and out is a two lane road through the wilderness; Routes 120 and 46, roads that I took, have this feel. Mayberrry is a place where people sit on their front porch and enjoy Summer nights; from your comments about the freshness of the air, it seems like the same could be done. Mayberry is a place where big crime is someone going 5 mph over the speed limit; Emporium seems to be the same way, although the rural roads into town allow you to go as fast as you want, since no one important uses them anyway. Hunting and camping seem like obvious and sufficient means of entertainment in Mayberry; the mountains oaround Emporium seem to be just as useful for those purposes.

Really the only differences between the two are that Mayberry was in North Carolina, and Emporium is in Pennsylvania; the courthouse in Mayberry is on the main street, and Emporium's is up the hill from the main street; and Mayberry apparently is literally the only town in the county, whereas there is another borough in Cameron County.

I wonder if places lie Emporium will become destinations to live in in the future because they are so far off of the beaten trail? With communication getting better with every generation, working from home becomes easier, and so small, middle-of-nowhere towns are as convenient as any outer-ring suburbs or exurbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Evergrey

That other borough (Driftwood) only has a population of 103 though! Emporium is basically the only population center in the county... along with a sparsely populated string of small villages along PA120 between Emporium and Driftwood (Cameron, Sinnemahoning, etc.) btw, which highways did you take in and out of Emporium?
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #5
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
That other borough (Driftwood) only has a population of 103 though! Emporium is basically the only population center in the county... along with a sparsely populated string of small villages along PA120 between Emporium and Driftwood (Cameron, Sinnemahoning, etc.) btw, which highways did you take in and out of Emporium?
I took Route 120 in, and took Route 46 out. I came in from the west, because I took pictures of Ridgway and St. Marys, and then I went north afterwards because I took pictures of Smethport and Bradford.
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #6
pcnorth22

Likes (Received): 0

wow...

I'm from Buffalo..but my Mom grew up in Emporium...moved to the big city of Buffalo when she was 18.

My grandfather lived in a house 4 doors down from Luigi's so we were there a lot. Cabin Kitchen is gone...but they used to have some good food.

I love that small town...can't wait to get the money together to buy her family house back.
pcnorth22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #7
Evergrey

Cabin Kitchen's gone? I know it burnt down a few years back... but then they rebuilt... I ate at the new version maybe 5 years ago
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #8
kenworth
Toronto

Likes (Received): 1

Kind a nice town!
kenworth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Nomadish

OK I found this forum a year and a half after you posted this thread, but I just wanted to comment that I was born in Emporium in the late 1960's and lived in the red Victorian on the corner of 4th and Broad St.'s. It belonged to my grandparents, who finally sold it in the mid 1970's and we moved away. It is a grand old house and I still miss it.

Emporium is such a beautiful little town in a beautiful setting. It is too bad that much of the industry (primarily Sylvania) is gone now. I still think it might be nice to retire there. Anyway, thanks for all your great photos of Emporium!
Nomadish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Nomadish

Doh!

Last edited by Nomadish; September 10th, 2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: double post
Nomadish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
pennsylvania