James Howard Kunstler to Speak in Tacoma on April 23rd. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #1
JacobR
TacoMan Since 1983

Likes (Received): 211

James Howard Kunstler to Speak in Tacoma on April 23rd.

Tickets are on sale now! Tickets for what? Well…

Exit133 has partnered with Local Life Tacoma to bring James Howard Kunstler, urban planning advocate, social critic, journalist and novelist, to Tacoma on April 23, 7:00pm, at the Broadway Center for the Performing Arts’ Theatre on the Square.

James Howard Kunstler is the author of seven novels and countless articles and essays including The Geography of Nowhere and The Long Emergency. Geography earned much attention and praise, launching him into the spotlight as a commentator on America’s hapless urban planning. Mr. Kunstler has lectured extensively about urban design, energy issues and new economies for The TED Conference, Google, American Institute of Architects, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the International Council of Shopping Centers, The National Association of Science and Technology and other professional organizations as well as at numerous colleges and universities.

Mr. Kunstler aptly describes his lectures as “stand-up comedy with some dark moments.” His audience knows he is dependably acerbic, witty, well-read and exceedingly alert, drawing from a tremendous store of hard facts and idealism that ends on a good note: Well-earned and reasoned hope.

His lecture will focus on Tacoma and the state of our city. After the lecture, he will sign books in the lobby. Books will be available for sale from King’s Books.

For more information and tickets, contact the Broadway Center Box Office by phone at 253.591.5894, visit in person at 9th & Broadway or any time online at www.broadwaycenter.org. You must call the BCPA Box Office to receive student pricing.

This event is sponsored by Veritas Mortgage, Embellish Salon, the University of Washington Tacoma Urban Studies Department, Boe Architects, the University of Puget Sound Politics & Government Department, BCRA, and The Broadway Center for the Performing Arts. Student ticket prices are made possible through the generous support of the City of Tacoma.

Link to Local Life Tacoma

James Howard Kunstler

Previously on Exit133
JacobR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM   #2
jessejb

Likes (Received): 508

Awesome!

Too bad its in Tacoma though. Cant make it in time. =(
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:42 AM   #3
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Likes (Received): 20406

I believe Kunstler will be in Seattle at the UW Bookstore on 4/22 at 7:00.
geoffloftus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

Likes (Received): 1

Definatly going to try and attend this. any other tacoms natives planning to go?

AAANL- American Architectural All Nighters League
Puertalian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM   #5
jessejb

Rad! Im totally going to the U District one.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

does anyone know if its possible to buy tickets at the door?

Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:48 AM   #7
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

never mind, just called the box office and they said tickets will be available for purchase at the door.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:16 AM   #8
jessejb

I have a hankerin' that he hates America, but Im willing to forgive that since I agree with him on a lot of other things.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM   #9
jessejb

Anyone else go last night?? I though it was very entertaining! Even though I was the ONLY one who had to sit on the damn floor!! haha
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #10
GVNY
Metropolis

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejb View Post
I have a hankerin' that he hates America.
You would be incorrect with this assessment.
GVNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #11
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVNY View Post
You would be incorrect with this assessment.
yeah i went and while i wouldnt say that he hated america, he had a definate bias towards europe. almost all his examples of good were from europe, and all of his examples of bad were places in america. he seemed to have this notion that europe can do no wrong. he failed to mention some of the recent european dead zones like canery wharf in london. it wasnt bad, it was just hard to have faith in some of his ideas. he went on this "new urbanism" kick where he all but proposed that we turn every new community into a copy of classic french architecture and planning. mostly good stuff, but some of it was a little over the top.

Old April 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #12
GVNY
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puertalian View Post
yeah i went and while i wouldnt say that he hated america, he had a definate bias towards europe. almost all his examples of good were from europe, and all of his examples of bad were places in america. he seemed to have this notion that europe can do no wrong. he failed to mention some of the recent european dead zones like canery wharf in london. it wasnt bad, it was just hard to have faith in some of his ideas. he went on this "new urbanism" kick where he all but proposed that we turn every new community into a copy of classic french architecture and planning. mostly good stuff, but some of it was a little over the top.
Of course he does not hate America! Mr. Kunstler is actually very optimistic about the potential of America to recover a lost urbanism; an urbanism that was once very beautiful and unifying for the United States.

His criticism is foolhardily and dismissively being disregarded as 'hate,' when it very clearly is not.

Additionally, his calculated use of successful examples from Europe as opposed to those within the United States was to simply reaffirm that we need to reinsert European (civilized) principles of urban living back into the heart of American cities. Yes, we do possess exciting and vibrant markets, squares, etcetera, however those tend to be big-city anomalies. Mr. Kunstler made it clear that the real change toward a new appreciation of urban living will not be within New York or Chicago, but within Tacoma, and Omaha, and Boulder Springs, and ourselves.

Continuing, he certainly did ignore the blunders of recent European projects, but I fail to understand why he should have incorporated them into his speech. What purpose would they have served in his overall thesis, which was that American cities need to inject sound urban principles into their cities and once again inhabit them?

Mr. Kunstler is certainly a fan of New Urbanism (as am I), but he made it particularly clear that is strong emphasis for New Urbanism was its strong commitment to the fundamentals of urban layout. He further stated that design was not the critical element of New Urbanism, thus establishing a precedent (in his opinion) for vernacular architecture. Consequently, I fail to understand why you write him off with your 'French architecture and planning' comment, when it clearly was not his position whatsoever. That is quite a misconstruing of his ideals.

Finally, his support for New Urbanism is based on the undisputed fact that the city, in its 'natural', pre-Industrial Revolution form, is compact and human-scaled, urban truths readily acknowledge by that particular school of urban planning ideology.
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #13
jessejb

Haha I wasnt that serious when I said "hates America".

Im a big Kunstler fan and I support his wanting to get our current community development dilemmas addressed.
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #14
GVNY
Metropolis

A lot of people were upset by Mr. Kunstler's style, not just individuals within this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement