What does your city name mean? - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #61
GeneratorNL
From Holland with love

Likes (Received): 5198

I'm from Papendrecht, a town of some 30.000 inhabitants in the Netherlands.

A "Paap" is a catholic monk, and a "Drecht" is an old Dutch word for a not too deep place in a river where you can wade through to get to the other side of the river.

So basically Papendrecht means something like "Place where catholic monks wade throught the river" (or something like that)
GeneratorNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #62
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Feldkirch = field church .... coming from an thousand year old "church in the field"

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #63
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 25

I was born in Dublin, Ireland. The name Dublin comes from the Gaelic Dubh Lin, which means 'black/dark pool', after a pool on the River Liffey.

Interestingly, the current Gaelic name of Dublin is not Dubh Lin, but Baile atha Cliath, which means 'city on the ford of the hurdles'.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #64
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 268

DOHA in Arabic means an area by the sea with a large tree.

DOHA is located in a "doha"

Old April 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #65
cHemon

Likes (Received): 624

Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok's full name is "Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit"
(In Thai: กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลกภพ นพรัตน์ราชธานี บุรีรมย์อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์)

It translates to "The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukam".

For short, Krung Thep = City of Angels

cHemon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #66
PedroGabriel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Interesting thread!

Póvoa de Varzim is a bit complicated to explain

the earliest part of the name Varzim, earlier thought to be a Germanic name is in fact Roman, and derives from a Roman family known as Euracini that settled here in the 1st century BC. With time, more than 1500 yrs, the name Euracini changed it became veracini,varazim, Varzim (during the 15th century).

The name "Povoa" was given in 1308 by king Denis of Portugal (we've just celebrated in March tthe 700th anniversary of this event), and it was the name of small medieval urban settlements in his time, in Spanish it can be translated to "Puebla". Has there was royal land here, he ordered the locals of Varzim to create Póvoa de Varzim in an hilly area (the city does not consider this event the founding day of the city though), that area still exists, and is now just a neihbourhood known by another name, as the town expanded a lot since the 17th century, reaching the old town (Vila Velha) before the 14th century and the original place of the Roman town. So that's why it does not consider that to be its founding day, just an important date to remember.

so

Póvoa de Varzim = Settlement of the Euracini (family)

Last edited by PedroGabriel; April 28th, 2008 at 02:53 PM.
PedroGabriel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #67
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 1590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHemon View Post
Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok's full name is "Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit"
(In Thai: กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลกภพ นพรัตน์ราชธานี บุรีรมย์อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์)

It translates to "The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukam".

For short, Krung Thep = City of Angels

Year... but what does "Bangkok" actually mean.
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #68
cHemon

Likes (Received): 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Year... but what does "Bangkok" actually mean.
from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok
"The town of Bangkok began as a small trading center and port community on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River serving the Ayutthaya Kingdom, the precursor of modern Thailand which existed from 1350 to 1767. It is believed that the town's name derived from either Bang Makok, bang being the Central Thai name for towns or villages situated on the bank of a river, and makok being the Thai name of either Spondias pinnata, Spondias mombin or Elaeocarpus hygrophilus (plants producing olive-like fruits), or Bang Koh, koh meaning "island," a reference to the area's landscape which was carved by rivers and canals.

After the fall of Ayutthaya to the Burmese Kingdom in 1767, the newly declared King Taksin established a new capital in the area of then-Bangkok, which became known as Thonburi. When Taksin's reign ended in 1782, King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke reconstructed the capital on the east bank of the river and gave the city a ceremonial name which became shortened to its current official name, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon (which, similarly to "Los Angeles" means "city of angels"). The new city, however, also inherited the name Bangkok, which continued to be used by foreigners to refer to the entire city and became its official English name, while in Thai the name still refers only to the old district on the west bank of the river. The city has since vastly modernized and undergone numerous changes, including the introduction of transportation and utility infrastructure in the reigns of King Mongkut and King Chulalongkorn, and quickly developed into the economic center of Thailand."
cHemon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #69
Juan Pilgrim

Likes (Received): 117

New York's Nickname

Why is New York City called "Gotham"?

"Gotham" was first used in reference to Manhattan by Washington Irving in the early 19th century. The word itself is English in origin and dates from the Middle Ages. Gotham, or "Gotam", was the name of a real and often-ridiculed town in England, whose residents had a reputation for madness.

A variant on this story was that Gothamites were not truly mad but simply "wise enough to play the fool" -- in a variety of ways they merely acted silly to gain their ends. "It was doubtless this more beguiling-if tricksterish-sense of Gotham that Manhattanistes assumed as an acceptable nickname," writes Mike Wallace in Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898.

J.P.
Juan Pilgrim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #70
LondonBVE

Likes (Received): 0

Well Singapore is often referred as a city so let it be than but I will also include my resident area though I still cannot figure out what is the meaning.

Singapore was known as Singapura which means lion (Singa) and city (pura), the name was given by a malay prince during the 14th century named Sang Nila Utama. He was on a ship when suddenly the storm came and the ship started to jerk badly and water gushes in the ship so he ordered his men to throw everything down but to no avail, the ship continue to have water entering so he threw down his heavy crown and the storm subsided. When he went to hunt in Singapore, he saw a strange creature that has a red body, black head and a tail of fish, when he asked his chief minister, he told him it was a lion. Hence he named the country Singapura.

Though this was consider truth, but there was no lion in Singapore at that time and the chief minister must had errorneously told him that it is a lion though it might be a Malayan Tiger.

For my residents area,

It is basically call Woodlands but I still don't understand why is it call Woodlands when in the past it is a harbour and an important place for crossing to our neighbour country. Perhaps it is due to the nearby forest back then when it was undeveloped now is just a number of empty lands.
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #71
Scion

Likes (Received): 7724

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*******%2C_Austria

Someone can go find out what is the meaning of this town's name. :P
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #72
Inconfidente

Likes (Received): 21837

Belo Horizonte means Beautiful Horizon.

Belo: Beautiful
Horizonte: Horizon
Inconfidente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #73
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post

just a normal name for a small village, even austrians don´t know.

but double meanings in different languages are usual in everything

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #74
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 384

Sydney - Named after the British Home Secretary Lord Thomas Townshend Sydney in recognition of his role in authorizing the establishment of the settlement.

As for what the name Sydney means it is a derivation of Saint-Denis a saint who lived in France in the 3rd Century.

The aboriginal names for the Sydney area are Eora (Cadigal), Dharawal and Guringai (Ku-ring-gai) after the aboriginal tribes who lived in the area at the time of European settlement.
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #75
wowsim

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
Some Australian city meanings:

Canberra - Derived from the First Australian Ngabri language "Kanbarra" - which means "meeting place." "karra" denotes a place or location in the language.

Melbourne - Named after Queen Victoria's first PM, Viscount Melbourne (1779). Melbourne's native name in the Kulin dialect is Wurundjeri - and this is now finding various uses.
Before it was officially named, Melbourne was known as Bearbrass. Not quite sure what the genesis of that is, but it would have been a cool name.

Apparently "Batmania" was also an option considered for a time. After John Batman, Melbourne's founder. Imagine, we could have been Batmaniacs.
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #76
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 1590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post

Not too far away is a village called Wank in Bavaria (Germany) and yes, officially the residents are called Wankers. The town is named probably after the nearby mountain called Mount Wank, which is a bit of a tourist attraction where you can take the Wankbahn (Wank Train) up to the Wankhaus (Wank House) at the summit. Nice view up there whilst wanking I guess.

When I last passed through Wank, I did wonder if a person from ******* (Austria) moved there would he be known as a ******* Wanker?

I guess most American's won't get this, but the rest of the English speaking world should.

Last edited by Justme; April 29th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #77
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 1295

Old April 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #78
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 13611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Not too far away is a village called Wank in Bavaria (Germany) and yes, officially the residents are called Wankers. The town is named probably after the nearby mountain called Mount Wank, which is a bit of a tourist attraction where you can take the Wankbahn (Wank Train) up to the Wankhaus (Wank House) at the summit. Nice view up there whilst wanking I guess.

When I last passed through Wank, I did wonder if a person from ******* (Austria) moved there would he be known as a ******* Wanker?

I guess most American's won't get this, but the rest of the English speaking world should.
Hilarious!

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #79
Xtreminal
Azeri Dragon

Likes (Received): 2087

Baku - City of Winds
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #80
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsim View Post
Apparently "Batmania" was also an option considered for a time. After John Batman, Melbourne's founder. Imagine, we could have been Batmaniacs.

Wow. What a lost opportunity.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement