What City in the World has the best Transportation System? - Page 11 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions » Bridges | Cycling | Maritime

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What city has the best Transportation System?
New York City Metro Area, USA 94 8.58%
Chicago, USA 19 1.73%
Washington D.C, USA 11 1.00%
Los Angeles, USA 10 0.91%
Seattle, USA 2 0.18%
Atlanta, USA 7 0.64%
Dallas Fort Worth Metro, USA 13 1.19%
Toronto, Canada 18 1.64%
Berlin, Germany 52 4.74%
Frankfurt, Germany 15 1.37%
Amsterdam, Netherlands 21 1.92%
Vienna, Austria 45 4.11%
London, UK 118 10.77%
Edinburgh, Scotland 2 0.18%
Moscow, Russia 28 2.55%
Dublin, Ireland 2 0.18%
Paris, France 82 7.48%
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 18 1.64%
Tokyo/Osaka, Japan 176 16.06%
Hong Kong/Shenzhen, China 55 5.02%
Bejing, China 1 0.09%
Shanghai, China 22 2.01%
Singapore, Singapore 29 2.65%
Barcelona, Spain 9 0.82%
Madrid, Spain 108 9.85%
Mumbai/New Delhi, India 11 1.00%
Melbourne, Australia 8 0.73%
Sydney, Austrailia 4 0.36%
Seol, South Korea 12 1.09%
Others 104 9.49%
Voters: 1096. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #201
LtBk

Likes (Received): 4923

After looking at the maps of Vienna's transit, I'm beginning to hate the US even more in terms of urban transportation.You bastards are so lucky!
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #202
stefanguti

Likes (Received): 1224

I know what you mean, friends from the US have told me that the urban transportation is weak there.

Regarding Vienna's transportation system, I think it's one of the best worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Vienna has a great transport network.

Heavy rail

Tram

Another Tram map

Vienna Public Transport Thread

Austrian Subforum
stefanguti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #203
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

To give another example of why Auckland's transport system is one of the worst in the world, I am looking into moving from where I live at the moment in Sandringham (about a 20 min bus ride from the city) to Herne Bay (about a 10-15 min bus ride to the city). However, my job is still in Avondale (about a 30-35 min bus ride from the city).

According the wises website, it's a 8.5km drive that should take around 12 minutes. Perhaps a little longer in the morning peak, although it is counter-flow. http://www.wises.co.nz/d/33/Auckland...ollard+Avenue/

Now let's look at public transport options. To get to work by 8.30am the best option that gets suggested to me is a 1 hr 49 min walk! Next best option is a 1 hour and 2 min trip that would include two different buses. http://www2.maxx.co.nz/fullEnquiry.a...=44&Submit.y=8

I think that is a clear example of why Auckland's public transport system is quite possibly the worst in the world for a city its size.
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #204
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
Thanks davsot. The city I live in probably has the worst public transport system of any developed world city its size in the world, so there's plenty I can moan about!
No, mine is the worst in any developed world city! San Juan has a one-line metro lol! It has a HUGE capacity but daily ridership (weekday) is only 40,000. Expansions are necessary to raise the destination choices and more attractive service.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #205
davsot

Wow great photo Assemblage
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #206
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
No, mine is the worst in any developed world city! San Juan has a one-line metro lol! It has a HUGE capacity but daily ridership (weekday) is only 40,000. Expansions are necessary to raise the destination choices and more attractive service.
Why was the metro line built if it was only going to attract such a little amount of people? There's a lot of other cities that carry huge amounts of people on just one metro line.

Did the US fund the metro there? I seem to remember reading that somewhere, but I'm not an expert on US/PR relations and if the US pays for things there. It just seemed strange that a foreign nation would buy another country a metro line when they have such problems funding mass transit in their own country.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #207
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Whilst Melbourne has a OK-ish rail network (overcrowded and constantly delayed) it's tram network really saves the city from complete implosion. It's always frequent (about 4 or 5 minutes in peak,goes to 12 or 13 minutes off peak and maybe 15 minutes on Sundays) and generally clean. Many parts aren't grade separated though, so trams can get stuck in traffic but generally not for long. The map can be quite confusing as all the lines are the same colour, but Melburnians seem to be born with the map tattooed on the back of their heads.

A map from 1998, showing some of the lines separated (about 10 or so lines use St. Kilda Rd & Swanston st, so they're just shown as being the same colour rather than making the streets really huge on the map)

Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM   #208
davsot

Quote:
Why was the metro line built if it was only going to attract such a little amount of people? There's a lot of other cities that carry huge amounts of people on just one metro line.

Did the US fund the metro there? I seem to remember reading that somewhere, but I'm not an expert on US/PR relations and if the US pays for things there. It just seemed strange that a foreign nation would buy another country a metro line when they have such problems funding mass transit in their own country.
It was supposed to attract a lot of people who were going to help promote the expansions. The US partly funded it (federal money). The US isn't foreign to us. We Puerto Ricans are Americans too, and most of us are real proud of it. I agree, though the US does have major problems funding mass transit. A lot of people have acknowledged that.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:07 AM   #209
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

How is PR part of the US? Are you actually a state, or...?

Sorry if that sounds offensive, I don't mean for it to be. I just don't know much about the US-PR relationship. I always thought Porto Rico was its own country.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:37 AM   #210
davsot

Well, when exactly did you learn about the island? That name (Porto Rico) hasn't been used since 1917. And you're not the first so I'm not angry or anything would like to know where everyone reads all this. I mean the name existed for some 20 years of our history and then it was gone. Pssh.

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States (Australia is a different kind of commonwealth). We're some form of a free associated state and for many years the government has tried to hold a referendum to make the final decision. The people almost always pick to stay as we are, but the time will come when we have to make a decision.

We must abide by all federal laws and our government works like any other state, as in it can govern itself, with the main difference is that we have a bicameral system. We will be hosting the Central American Games and we have our own Olympics team.

Puerto Rico ranks 27th in terms of population in the US, making us one of the most dense islands in the world.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Puerto Rico used to have a great national train system and extensive tram lines in many major cities, but it was all destroyed during the car era in the US (in the 1950s). The boom in suburbs, cars, it's all led to sprawl throughout the whole island and our highways are heavily congested. We need public transportation desperately and at least the governemnt seems to be paying attention, but they could always do a better job.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:58 AM   #211
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 385

Very intelligent post above, I must agree. The car and suburb age ruined so much of America. It seems if WW2 never started the age, we would all live in high rises and take subways around.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:09 AM   #212
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Quote:
Well, when exactly did you learn about the island? That name (Porto Rico) hasn't been used since 1917. And you're not the first so I'm not angry or anything would like to know where everyone reads all this. I mean the name existed for some 20 years of our history and then it was gone. Pssh.

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States (Australia is a different kind of commonwealth). We're some form of a free associated state and for many years the government has tried to hold a referendum to make the final decision. The people almost always pick to stay as we are, but the time will come when we have to make a decision.

We must abide by all federal laws and our government works like any other state, as in it can govern itself, with the main difference is that we have a bicameral system. We will be hosting the Central American Games and we have our own Olympics team.

Puerto Rico ranks 27th in terms of population in the US, making us one of the most dense islands in the world.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Puerto Rico used to have a great national train system and extensive tram lines in many major cities, but it was all destroyed during the car era in the US (in the 1950s). The boom in suburbs, cars, it's all led to sprawl throughout the whole island and our highways are heavily congested. We need public transportation desperately and at least the governemnt seems to be paying attention, but they could always do a better job.
Ahh, ok. So you're basically what the British would call a 'Dependent Territory' like the Jersey Islands or the Falkland Islands. That makes more sense.

And excuse my spelling of Puerto Rico - I wasn't sure how to spell it when I was writing it. You never really hear much about PR on this side of the world, as it's not in our sphere of influence (most of our news is about Asia, Oceania or Europe, there's not many Americans here and we don't have a lot to do with the Americas). I'd just assumed that PR was its own country, as it didn't have a place in the '50 states'.
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #213
davsot

Quote:
Ahh, ok. So you're basically what the British would call a 'Dependent Territory' like the Jersey Islands or the Falkland Islands. That makes more sense.

And excuse my spelling of Puerto Rico - I wasn't sure how to spell it when I was writing it. You never really hear much about PR on this side of the world, as it's not in our sphere of influence (most of our news is about Asia, Oceania or Europe, there's not many Americans here and we don't have a lot to do with the Americas). I'd just assumed that PR was its own country, as it didn't have a place in the '50 states'.
Agree with the naming of 'Dependent Territory'. That's why we need to decide if we want to be state or not, we can't be receiving federal funds without making contributions forever. I'm part of what i call the statehood generation. All the kids who were born after a certain point in the history of PR, where I like the American style of living and like being a part of the United States (while also acknowledging we need to do a better job with public transportation ). There's a strong majority who are pro-statehood and pro-independents are actually a minority.

These forums help me connect with the world and is how I learn about many countries around the world, large and small. I've actually been to Australia. Lovely country. I would like to visit the Outback someday. I'm actually considering living there. What can I say, I like the work life in AU.

Melbourne trams are awesome btw.
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #214
davsot

I'm sure many would be interested in this:

image hosted on flickr

http://awesome.goodmagazine.com/tran...gthetrain.html
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #215
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 9132

OK, then Tokyo / Moscow / Seoul / NYC / Mexico City / Paris are the top 6 most used subway cities in the world. thanks for the data, davsot

@ thread-starter :
what is Seol? can't correct to Seoul?

Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #216
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

Wonder why London is not included? Perhaps to make New York's system look like the longest?
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #217
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3228

"Theoretically" London isn't in the top 5. They only took the so-called "Top 5" in both the US and the rest of the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_s...assenger_rides

I think we can all agree the list is flawed in many ways, but the people who made the graph aren't experts in transportation... They're graphic designers, so they're job is to make the image look nice, but not necessarily go through all the work of preparing a sound analysis.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #218
davsot

Exactly. Thanks for that.
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:34 AM   #219
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Quote:
Agree with the naming of 'Dependent Territory'. That's why we need to decide if we want to be state or not, we can't be receiving federal funds without making contributions forever. I'm part of what i call the statehood generation. All the kids who were born after a certain point in the history of PR, where I like the American style of living and like being a part of the United States (while also acknowledging we need to do a better job with public transportation ). There's a strong majority who are pro-statehood and pro-independents are actually a minority.

These forums help me connect with the world and is how I learn about many countries around the world, large and small. I've actually been to Australia. Lovely country. I would like to visit the Outback someday. I'm actually considering living there. What can I say, I like the work life in AU.

Melbourne trams are awesome btw.
Heh, the trams are great outside of peak hour. They're terrible between the hours of 6am - 10am and 4pm - 7pm. They get stuck in traffic and get too crowded.

Where did you visit in Australia? I've never even been to the outback, I think most Australians haven't either. It only seems to be foreign tourists that are interested in seeing it. The population sticks to the coast and rarely leaves the big cities so there's a real difference between 'country Australians' and 'city Australians'.

I'll gladly swap you Australia and PR though! Central and South America are like another world to most Aussies.
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #220
davsot

Quote:
Heh, the trams are great outside of peak hour. They're terrible between the hours of 6am - 10am and 4pm - 7pm. They get stuck in traffic and get too crowded.

Where did you visit in Australia? I've never even been to the outback, I think most Australians haven't either. It only seems to be foreign tourists that are interested in seeing it. The population sticks to the coast and rarely leaves the big cities so there's a real difference between 'country Australians' and 'city Australians'.

I'll gladly swap you Australia and PR though! Central and South America are like another world to most Aussies.
Don't they get some form of right of way? (the trams)

I visited Australia in 2006 on a graduating trip. It was around 80 Puerto Ricans from my school in the South Pacific ! Also, my cousin lives in AU and we're planning a family trip, hope we can do it soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement