tour de Alps - My holiday photos - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
mlm
Member #109

Likes (Received): 131

tour de Alps - My holiday photos

Time for yet another holiday trip. I decided to do something else than the usual bigcity trip this year, so I took an 8 day drive to the wonderful Alps. I spend 1 night in Bad Hersfeld in the middle of Germany (on the way), 3 nights in Bern, Switzerland, 2 nights in Hohenschwangau, Southern Bavaria, and 1 night in Hannover, Germany on the way home. Although the driving part took much time (4000+ kms driven) I had a wonderful trip, and the Alps are surely amazing. Here're a bunch of photos from the trip, with short descriptions:

1. Evening view of the Swiss parliament in Bern. Bern is the capital of Switzerland and has a population of some 344.000 (incl the metro):

2. The old city of Bern is surrounded by the river Aar on 3 sides. It's very beautiful, and recognised by UNESCO as a Cultural World Heritage Site. The river is hard to see here, but you can see the narrov streets:

3. Another view of the old city, here from the east:

4. The reason I chose Bern was because it is located very close to the alps, so driving there was easy. Here a shot from between Thun and Interlaken, which is some 40 km southeast of Bern:

5. Waterfall somewhere in the same area (close to Mürren):

6. Again from the area, though now in Grindelwald, which is just at the foot of some huge mountains. Here you can see the Grindelwaldgletscher, but you have to climb some 890 wood steps to get there. The beginning of the "climb":

7. View from around halfway up:

8. At the "top" (still far from the top of the mountain) there's this small bridge over the running water from the gletscher. Pretty far down:

9. The same, just from the other side of the bridge:

10. Another day and another place. Now we're in the Wallis/Valais region, which is in southwestern part of Switzerland. From the city Sion I drove south in a valley between two mountains (Val d'Hérémence). At the end there's a small hairneedle turn road, and at the end of that you meet this:

11. La Grande-Dixence - Europes highest Dam with it's 285 tall concrete wall. From the bottom you have to take a cablecar to the top, where there's an amazing view of the valley and mountains:

12. Futher back you see the top of the wall and the lake, which looked stangely white this day.

13. Panorama with the lake, valley and mountains. Click to enlarge:

14. Nothing too exiting, just a mountain I thought looked cool. It's quite close to the town Zermatt which again is close to Matterhorn, but I didn't go there since you had to take a train:

15. After 4 days in Switzerland I drove to Hohenschwangau in Southern Bavaria. It is most or less at the foot of the alps, and it's also just a few km's from Austria. This is a very small village, but still it is one of the most visited places in Germany. This reason is the Neuschwanstein Castle, which is also why I went there:

16. I did really enjoy the days I stayed there, although 2 small things irretatated me. First all of the back was being renovated (I know they have to do this, just not when I'm there ), and then the amazing view you see on all the postcards are more or less impossible to get, since it's taken from a cliff (a view from the east with lakes and mountains behind the Castle). Anyway, here the castle from walking bridge in the mountains:

17. In my idiotic search for the "perfect photo" (which I never got) I deciede to followed a very small walking path on the mountain behind the castle. I did get some unusual views from up there, but not what I wanted:

18. What I did get though, after walking some 3 hours or so was some great views of the beginning of the alps. I had no idea where I was going when I started the walk uphill, and after the very long (and hard for me) walk I ended on the top some 900 meters above the town:

19. I was happy when I saw they had a restaurant at the top, since I was absolutely exhausted from the walk. Not to forgot a cablecar to so I could get down again with killing myself:

20. Again the great view form up there:

21. And a panorama from the same place. Click to enlarge:

22. Paragliders jumping from the top:

23. From the cablecar I got a few more views of the Castle, although I wish I had brought some bigger lenses:

24. Again:

25. View from the opposite side again (the bridge). The mountain to the far right is the one from the previous walk:

26. Evening view over the area from close to the Castle itself. The mountains at the far left is in Austria while the rest is Germany:

27. Another view of the Castle, again in the evening:

28. And now to something completely different. On the way back home I decided to spend one night in Hannover (which I also visited some years ago - thread). Here the cool NORd/LB (Norddeutsche landesbank) building by Behnisch:

29. And finally 2 shots of "Das Neue Rathaus", just next tot he NORD/LB building. This was one of the reasons why I chose Hannover for the night. Last time I was there it started to rain before I got all the shots I wanted:

30. And again...:

That's it for now, might add some more later.
mlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:43 PM   #2
DenverDane

Likes (Received): 14

Absolutely stunning. Who cares about big cities when you can visit scenery like that. Excellent pictures. And they should make a postcard out of the last picture. I don't think it can be done any better.
DenverDane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #3
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 7736

Awesome pics mate!

I love Neuschwanstein Castle and you got some great shots of it!!!

Oh and mountains.. I miss mountains so much!

Looks like an awesome vacation - thanks for sharing it mate!
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #4
sapmi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 96

Damn what a beautiful view! It looks like something from the Lord of the Rings or some story tale.
sapmi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #5
mlm
Member #109

/\ Yeah the scenery is absolutely stunning. That shot is taken through the glass of the cablecar, and it was as close to the "perfect angle" as I could get. I have hoped to get something like this, but it's impossible...
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #6
Stefan E

Likes (Received): 0

Simply beautiful. Stunning pictures...
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #7
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 10623

Always enjoy your photo threads and this one is no exeption - absolutely stunning work and the scenery is just...wow!I believe there will be more right?

Oh is Hersfeld really that bad?
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #8
mlm
Member #109

/\ Not bad at all

Actually I was wondering about all the German cities that called "Bad blablabla" so translated it, and turns it it means "spa" or "bath" (if you didn't already know).

And yes I'll probably add a few more. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by mlm; August 6th, 2008 at 04:24 AM.
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Fab 5

Likes (Received): 3

AWESOME.
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #10
knilaus
Gone

Likes (Received): 4

Last edited by knilaus; February 27th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
knilaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #11
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 10623

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm View Post
Actually I was wondering about all the German cities that called "Bad blablabla" so translated it, and turns it it means "spa" or "bath"
Makes sense!In the UK we have many towns called Something Spa too they tend to be quite grand aswell as they were favoured by the high society in the old days!

Last edited by El_Greco; August 5th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #12
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2357

Just amazingly stunning! Love these photos, and again i have to remind my self to get a new lenses soon and get much better at photography!

You should do more nature/mountain photos, since i see your just as good at that as urban photography! And when mountains and nature landscapes is more stunning than urban i recommend you to take more trips to places such as this one!
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #13
SEAfan
mumbling imprecations

Likes (Received): 19

Sheer magic, mlm! Absolutely spellbinding.

I'm glad you had such a nice vacation.
SEAfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #14
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 4449

Very beautiful shots! Some shots of the castle really look magic!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #15
Vaidas

Likes (Received): 112

Haven't been around for a while, but threads like this makes me want to check out everything I've missed! Great!
Vaidas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #16
Kevlargeist

Likes (Received): 882

High quality pictures these are. Amazing sceneries. Bern does have a charming old town.
Kevlargeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #17
ĜlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 109

Amazing once again mlm!
I'll go to Neuschwanstein anytime soon myself - by then there will probably be some spring colors surrounding this fairytale castle.
ĜlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alps, bern, hannover