Stadium Regulations and Requirements - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #1
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2971

Stadium Regulations and Requirements

Technical Recommendations and Requirements for the Construction or Modernisation of Football Stadia

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...ts_en_8211.pdf

i downloaded it 1 year ago
its very good IMO

enjoy it

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (2): 2009, 2018

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (2): 2017, 2018
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014

Last edited by www.sercan.de; September 25th, 2008 at 03:07 PM.
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #2
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 365

Observations from someone that has read this and the UEFA document:

- Roofs again are only recommended when possible. Specifically in rainier, windier or hotter climates. Not required.

- The overall requirements are not as strict as posters would make one believe.

- Some have balked in other parts of SSC on my talk of lighting requirements. I hadn't noticed it before, but wisely unlike the UEFA, FIFA recommends stadiums talk to television authorities. The amount of light necessary for playing was surpassed a long time ago. Now its up to the broadcaster's needs.

- FIFA seems to want all domes or retractable ones eventually.

- FIFA seems to favor infill turfs over grass if you read between the lines. At least it seems like what they want. I remember a friendly at Qwest Field a couple of years ago, where the Qwest folks went all out to develop a grass that would ancor to the infill. It was played on, but FIFA really liked the artificial surface. They also like the hybrid surface at Invesco Field. They've observed, as have many that they are great, consistent surfaces. The one disadvantage is the oxygen they create, though this can be solved with the hybrids. Like in American football, I'm sure fans would rather the game be played on grass, but the new turfs are very consistent and eliminate kinks and divets that can cause injuries as well as consistent balls while having similar "give" and softness.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #3
Bigmac1212
Time for go to bed!

Likes (Received): 216

(- Roofs again are only recommended when possible. Specifically in rainier, windier or hotter climates. Not required.)

Hopefully, that doesn't become mandatory. Otherwise, that would make the American stadiums incompatiable. Even the "soccer-only" stadiums don't have complete roofs.
Bigmac1212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #4
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 365

its not that big of a deal. By the time the US can host again, you'll have enough retractables and domes to more than cover that recommendation.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #5
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Stadium requirements...

Does anyone have the formula for calculating the number of seats in an area of stadium. I remember reading on in a book about football grounds, but can't remember exactly what is was now.
I know it would vary depending on the size of the seats, the spacing between the seats, etc., but I'm curious as to the lower end number - like many here, I assume, I spend a bit of my spare time getting 'creative' regarding stadiums, and I'd be curious to work out capacities for my venues (also, going into a little more detail, to work out how many access ways would be required, etc.)

Also, what would be considered the minimum and maximum 'safe/effective' rake for the seating decks?

Thanks to anyone who can supply the info and does. Pants to anyone who can, but doesn't.
Benjuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #6
EADGBE
Resonation's what u need

Likes (Received): 78

Capacity:

There are other threads on here that relate to seat and spacing dimensions, which I'm sure would help you calculate almost all you'd need to know. The only thing it won't tell you is the maximum number of seats per block, i.e. before an aisle/vomitory must be included. A figure of 28 sticks in my mind.

This is what makes me slightly dubious of the speculation that Wembley will have the ability to raise capacity to 110,000 if planning and feasibility allow, simply by putting the seats closer together. A quick look at the oft-shown fish-eye pic shows a maximum seating array of 24 between aisles. A maximum array of 28 (and I admit I could be wrong about this number) would imply a maximum addition of 16.7% capacity or 15,000 seats, giving a capacity of 105,000. Of course, if the figure is actually 30, the 20k uplift would be theoretically possible, although I doubt they'd manage it with the 90k seats that are in there, as it would require the current spacing between each seat to be a quarter of the width of a seat, which I'd doubt. It'd require a whole 110,000 narrower seats...

Rakes:

I'm sure the maximum rake angle (for the UK) is around 40 degrees.

I seem to remember that the third tier of the main stand at Charleroi is more than that (42 deg?) and this was used by some to claim that Charleroi was an unsafe venue for England for their Euro 2000 game with Germany.

As for minimums, I don't think there are regulations for this because it is a quality, not a safety issue. Looking at the really shallow rakes like Maracana, it suggests that there is a minimum effectiveness level, even if it is not by definition unsafe. Short answer: whatever you can get away with?
EADGBE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #7
pompeyfan
PompeY2J

Likes (Received): 167

I made this one myself. You will need excel

http://rapidshare.com/files/10853489..._1_.1.xls.html

Keep up with my latest projects here
pompeyfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #8
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post
Capacity:

There are other threads on here that relate to seat and spacing dimensions, which I'm sure would help you calculate almost all you'd need to know. The only thing it won't tell you is the maximum number of seats per block, i.e. before an aisle/vomitory must be included. A figure of 28 sticks in my mind.

This is what makes me slightly dubious of the speculation that Wembley will have the ability to raise capacity to 110,000 if planning and feasibility allow, simply by putting the seats closer together. A quick look at the oft-shown fish-eye pic shows a maximum seating array of 24 between aisles. A maximum array of 28 (and I admit I could be wrong about this number) would imply a maximum addition of 16.7% capacity or 15,000 seats, giving a capacity of 105,000. Of course, if the figure is actually 30, the 20k uplift would be theoretically possible, although I doubt they'd manage it with the 90k seats that are in there, as it would require the current spacing between each seat to be a quarter of the width of a seat, which I'd doubt. It'd require a whole 110,000 narrower seats...

Rakes:

I'm sure the maximum rake angle (for the UK) is around 40 degrees.

I seem to remember that the third tier of the main stand at Charleroi is more than that (42 deg?) and this was used by some to claim that Charleroi was an unsafe venue for England for their Euro 2000 game with Germany.

As for minimums, I don't think there are regulations for this because it is a quality, not a safety issue. Looking at the really shallow rakes like Maracana, it suggests that there is a minimum effectiveness level, even if it is not by definition unsafe. Short answer: whatever you can get away with?
Is Wembley not working on the notion of putting rows of seats closer together (ie less leg room), thus being able to add numerous extra rows of seating right around the stadium?

As for rake - the angle on the top deck at Cologne is seriously steep, must be approaching 45 deg.

Anyway, big thanks to both you and Rexfan for your help.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #9
dunwyn

Likes (Received): 0

This question sort of came up in this thread

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=330547

basically you need to know the area of seating then divide this by the area of one seat. Also minus the amount of aisle space (do this as a percentage).

I also use an excel spread sheet with 10 parameters and can work out the capacity for a rectangle or oval field for any number of tiers.
dunwyn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #10
dunwyn

Those 10 parameters I should explain are:

Field Length - Length of Playing Field
Field Width - Width of Playing Field
Seat Height - height of the seat (where you sit) to the ground
Seat Width - width of each seat
Row Space - distance between rows
Boundary Width - Distance between playing field and 1st row of 1st Tier.
Minimum View - Minimum height between rows on 1st tier.
Aisle Percentage - this includes any other areas not used for seating
Tier Height - Distance between 1st and 2nd tiers.
Maximum Centre Height - Maximum height level someone sitting in 1st tier but under 2nd tier.

Also you need to define how many rows for each tier.

Some of these parameters are to calculate the angle of tiers this is important if you want as many people as close to the playing field as possible. The closer the tiers are the greater the angle. People don't want to sit at 45degrees.

PS If someone knows how to show a profile in 3D I would be grateful.
dunwyn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #11
EADGBE
Resonation's what u need

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Is Wembley not working on the notion of putting rows of seats closer together (ie less leg room), thus being able to add numerous extra rows of seating right around the stadium?
How could they? These distances are governed by the dimensions of the terracing beneath the seats:
_
.|_
....|_
.......|_

You couldn't just 'squash' the step pattern up a bit. It would require the whole concrete bowl to be re-engineered from the rakers up.

The only way you can do it IMO is to squeeze more seats into each row, between aisles. I guess this is why there currently are 24 seats between aisles, when there could be more. Why else would you not have as many as the regulations allow other than for expansion? I suspect all other stadia work to 28* seats per block row.

*If anyone can confirm this figure (or the correct one), I'd be grateful.

Last edited by EADGBE; January 9th, 2007 at 11:35 AM.
EADGBE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #12
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 8666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
if it is, it wouldnt be able to host a World Cup match, where the minimum distance is 80 cm. (from chair back to chair back)
AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #13
Zaro
Just a freak

Likes (Received): 3904

UEFA Stadium Regulations

Hi everybody.

I'm looking to find some sort of a document, if any, governing the stadium construction and licensing. So far I found UEFA Stadium Infrastructure Regulations only.

Is there any other document in this field?

Thank you.
В известен смисъл мирогледът на партията се възприемаше най-безусловно от хора, които не бяха способни да вникнат в него. Тях можеха да накарат да приемат и най-грубите изопачавания на действителността, защото те не можеха да схванат напълно чудовищността на онова, което се изискваше от тях, и не се интересуваха достатъчно от обществения живот, за да забележат какво става.
"1984"
Zaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #14
kazetuner

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaro View Post
Hi everybody.

I'm looking to find some sort of a document, if any, governing the stadium construction and licensing. So far I found UEFA Stadium Infrastructure Regulations only.

Is there any other document in this field?

Thank you.
emm yes, the fifa document sercan put on the first post...
kazetuner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #15
Zaro
Just a freak

Likes (Received): 3904

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetuner View Post
emm yes, the fifa document sercan put on the first post...
Actually he moved my post.

Thank you, Sercan.
В известен смисъл мирогледът на партията се възприемаше най-безусловно от хора, които не бяха способни да вникнат в него. Тях можеха да накарат да приемат и най-грубите изопачавания на действителността, защото те не можеха да схванат напълно чудовищността на онова, което се изискваше от тях, и не се интересуваха достатъчно от обществения живот, за да забележат какво става.
"1984"
Zaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM   #16
Benjuk

FIFA's official stadium requirement document...

There's often debate about what FIFA want from stadia... Here's the document that gives all the details...

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...ts_en_8211.pdf

(apologies, didn't know it had been posted previously)

Last edited by Benjuk; November 1st, 2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:15 AM   #17
JYDA

Likes (Received): 97

The distance from first row to touch line is excessive in some cases. Just look at the Emirates. Brutal views in the first few rows and It's not like it protecting the players from the fans when Spurs fans have no trouble invading the pitch to celebrate the equalizer on Wednesday
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM   #18
Benjuk

It's not about protecting fans or players - it's about providing the maximum space for unobstructed views of advertising.
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM   #19
bing222

Likes (Received): 12

I agree with Benjuk

2010-11

SYDNEY FC CHAMPIONS

2005-06
2010-11
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM   #20
Redhotkop

Now I would like to know the stadium requirement to host European Championship.
Redhotkop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement