78K views 291 replies 271 participants last post by  F-1945 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bank One Plaza
Chicago, USA

HEIGHT: 259m/850 feet
FLOORS: 60 floors
COMPLETION: 1969
ARCHITECT:C.F. Murphy Associates

This building triggered the development boom in Chicago's inner city. The design team developed an office skyscraper consisting of a single, 60 storey tapering curve. This design was born out of the need for large, unimpeded circulation areas providing public access on the lower floors, and, on the upper floors, smaller areas for offices with natural lighting. The building, which stands perpendicular to the main streets, has a 2 storey atrium hall at street level. It is entered on the narrow ends through revolving doors located at both sides of the circulation core. A sunken courtyard at the front of one of the long sides provides a focus for activities around Dearborn Street. attracting office workers, tourists and shoppers throughout the day. Fountains and landscaping, and a major work by Marc Chagall - a massive rectangular mosaic - enhance this pleasant, public plaza in the Loop district.

See less See more
#13 ·
I know more about this building than I would ever care to. One of my professors at school actually worked on this building, so he talks about it all of the time.

I like the building, and I like the sweeping facade, even though that has been done numerous times now. I think that it makes the building seem taller when viewed head on. Like alot of the concrete wonders of this era, I think the building is quite bland, and too cold and impersonal looking... But I still like it...

7.0/10

G
#14 ·
Credit given where credit due. It's hard to pull off the proportions of a widening base without looking dumpy, but this building does. If not for that it would look like any of hundreds of similarly styled buildings of that period (down to the universal tripartite facade division). I suspect the shape was considered innovative at the time it was built.
So, not bad, a period piece but at least a good period piece from a period when most pieces were terrible.

#22 ·
I love the slope but the building is a little brutal looking & they could have done more with the sides however the slopes heads into a sunken plaza with a fountain which is kind of unique..

the slope & the sunken plaza really make it for this building...7.5/10

#23 ·
7.5/10

not bad;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.