Newcastle and the North East RETAIL - City Centre, MetroCentre, Suburban Shopping, Out of Town Retail Parks, etc - Page 258 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #5141
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Thats going to be mahoosive!!

Does anyone have any renders? If their store in Edinburgh is anything to go by, then it will be a pretty impressive and striking shop front.

Renders . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmh88; July 16th 2011

Plans submitted to NCC for the Primark alterations. It's apparently being hailed as a Flagship Store.

Primark App

The most interesting document is the Design and Access Statement brochure (5th from bottom). It has the renderings, amongst other things, of the new facades.

All I can say is - I'm not sure what to make of it... It might grow on me, it might not!

If you thought the Bhs rendering was radical looking! ...

Seen alongside proposed new BHS . .

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #5142
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 175

Hmmm, I don't like that. Might look better once it is finished. It looks like a Christmas decoration covered tatty pound shop.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #5143
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Does the new exterior to the building mean that we are now never going to get the pedestrian walkways above street level?
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5144
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleb View Post
Does the new exterior to the building mean that we are now never going to get the pedestrian walkways above street level?
Yes - looks like it will never happen, mind I think that has been the case for a while . . .

Old June 27th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #5145
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Looks like the old camping store on the Bigg Market is being refurbished as an Army and Navy (Pilgrim St) store.
Not sure if they are relocating or a new store?
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #5146
fazaz

Likes (Received): 0

On the topic of the new Northumberland Street Entrance at Eldon Square.....

As I have a business in Eldon Square, I was invited by the centre manager to attend a retailer meeting a few weeks ago, at which they discussed all things Eldon Square, and we were given rendered drawings of the refurb works to the Mall, including the new Northumberland Street and Monument entrances.

We were told that NUFC is being relocated elsewhere in the Mall, as CSC need the upper level of the current shop for the new double story frontage, which will open up that whole part of the Mall with natural light they say

We were also told that the new frontage is going to get rid of the existing canopy, and the 2 vacant premises are being extended out to the level of the existing canopy, and that 2 tenants have been lined up - but they can not be revealed until the works are complete

They are also considering various proposals to freshen up inside the actual Mall, and the most favored one is to make the ceiling and lighting tie in with St Andrews Way

If I have the rendered drawings lying around in the office, I will upload them in the morning
fazaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #5147
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 746

Thanks Fazaz, I've been wondering for a while why they haven't decided to extent the Northumberland entrance out in line with the buildings on the street with you having to go through a store in order to get into ES from that end. That appears to be similar to what they are doing, the two units either side of it are oddly shaped, the NUFC store itself is just a mess. I've heard rumours for a while that the NUFC store is moving elsewhere but were awaiting for the existing store to move out.

I look forward to seeing the renders.

Also I've given my ideas on what should happen to skid row a few times on here and I doubt it will ever happen but at least it's good to hear that they are sticking with their plans to change it for the better.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5148
flange

Likes (Received): 5701

Managed to get the full list of stores affected.

Quote:
Revealed: List of 60 Staples stores at risk of being disposed of, downsized or relocated

28 June 2012

By Kat Spybey

Staples, the world’s largest office products retailer, is considering disposing of, downsizing or relocating just under half of its UK store portfolio.

The US-based retailer has had a list of 60 stores drawn up, which has been seen by PropertyWeek.com, which includes 20 disposals, 31 downsizings, five relocations and four stores where the fate is as yet undecided.

The disposals include stores in Bristol, Merryhill Retail Park in Dudley, Metro Retail Park in Gateshead, and Tottenham Hale Retail Park.
Full list of store closures is online here, is subscription only though.
http://www.propertyweek.com/news/new...038982.article
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #5149
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Managed to get the full list of stores affected.

Full list of store closures is online here, is subscription only though.
http://www.propertyweek.com/news/new...038982.article
Can t say i am surprised - I think that they acquired this as part of office world. big site, not that many customers and soooo many people will buy online. Though anything that reduces my options for avoiding the chimp fest that is PC World/Dixons is a bad thing !
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5150
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I've just been thinking Fazaz, do you think one of the new tenant in one of the double height facing units could be Sports direct?, they have been rumoured for a long time to be relocating and have apparently got a new location within ES lined up but were awaiting "developments" on it.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #5151
Gary12345

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazaz View Post

We were told that NUFC is being relocated elsewhere in the Mall, as CSC need the upper level of the current shop for the new double story frontage, which will open up that whole part of the Mall with natural light they say

We were also told that the new frontage is going to get rid of the existing canopy, and the 2 vacant premises are being extended out to the level of the existing canopy, and that 2 tenants have been lined up - but they can not be revealed until the works are complete

They are also considering various proposals to freshen up inside the actual Mall, and the most favored one is to make the ceiling and lighting tie in with St Andrews Way

If I have the rendered drawings lying around in the office, I will upload them in the morning
Very interesting, I'd love to see pics if you can share them.
Gary12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM   #5152
flange

Likes (Received): 5701

Quote:

As I have a business in Eldon Square, I was invited by the centre manager to attend a retailer meeting a few weeks ago, at which they discussed all things Eldon Square, and we were given rendered drawings of the refurb works to the Mall, including the new Northumberland Street and Monument entrances.

Looks like the planning application has already gone in for the work.

Quote:
Eldon Way/Northumberland Street Eldon Square Newcastle upon Tyne

Partial demolition, remodelling and extension of shopping centre at its Northumberland Street entrance.
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...=M5V5H0BSAP000

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 1st, 2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Reduce images size
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM   #5153
Seamaster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 41

What are they proposing to do about that slum alley between there and M&S?
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:22 PM   #5154
fazaz

Likes (Received): 0

Flange - these were a few of the photos I was going to upload too, but you beat me to it!

I have 2 more images which are a bit more artists impressions, with window displays and the surrounding shops visible etc - and they give a far better idea of the development

I for the life of me do not know how to upload images onto this - someone care to PM me with an email address that I can send them to and they can put them up???

Cheers
fazaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5155
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
I for the life of me do not know how to upload images onto this - someone care to PM me with an email address that I can send them to and they can put them up???

Cheers

These LINKS may help . . .

Quote:
..P
Ph - Pn

Ph

PHOTOS . . .

How to "insert/attach" photos into posts on this forum
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=2094
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1042

In the meantime though, I have sent you my e-mail address by PM.

Happy to post the photos onto here for you, if you wish.
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5156
GrahamSoult

Likes (Received): 34

Revamped Wilkinson, Newcastle

I don't know if anyone's been in in the last few weeks, but Newcastle's Wilkinson store has now had its new signage outside and a full makeover inside.

The most interesting change is that the upper-floor windows have been opened up on both the Nun Street and Newgate Street sides, allowing views out and bringing in natural light. It's astonishing quite how much of a difference it makes - it's really a much more pleasant experience to shop there now.

Image credit: http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/20...-and-brighter/

Last edited by GrahamSoult; July 1st, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
GrahamSoult no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM   #5157
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
What are they proposing to do about that slum alley between there and M&S?
It will stay, it will still be needed for the Northumberland arms pub. Shame really, if the extended it to cover that ally then the front facing unit (on the right) could have been a well designed entrance to the pub.

I know they can't do much with alterations and unit reconfigurations but surely they could have came up with a better idea as it still means the units are a weird shape. How about if they created the entrance to the right where the NUFC shop and the ally way is and ran the length all the unto where it meets at Fenwicks/John Lewis corner. This way all those units that are small and some of them weirdly shaped could have been made into double height mezzanine stores with much larger space as the would have been able to come out a bit more towards the right.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:14 AM   #5158
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
I have sent you my e-mail address by PM.

Happy to post the photos onto here for you, if you wish.

Fazaz has sent me his images . . .

Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:33 AM   #5159
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Wow I love those renders. I do suspect though that the ones in the planning application are dumbed down somewhat.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:14 AM   #5160
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 28

Interesting. The Northumberland Street entrance always did feel a bit...cavernous. Like you were in a metro station or something rather than a main shopping centre.
That area has been suffering a bit lately, used to be the main part I saw.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
high street, high streets, newcastle, newcastle retail, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, retailers, shop, shopping, shops, suburbs, temporary thread