Hull and Humber Forum PHOTOGRAPHY - Current photos, mainly taken by Forum Members - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Hull and Humber

Hull and Humber For Hull and East Riding.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #1
RSWB

Likes (Received): 2

Hull and Humber Forum PHOTOGRAPHY - Current photos, mainly taken by Forum Members

This thread was originally called, when started in 2005 well prior to the formation of the Hull and Humber Forum in October 2009 . . .

Kingston upon Hull Pics

I was in Hull at the weekend and thought I'd take some pictures of Hull city centre, I'm sure some of you who haven't been to Hull would be interested to see if it really lives up to it's 'worst place to live' reputation, so here goes, judge for yourself:

These were taken on Sunday 23rd October 2005, in the rain - I got soaked

Pics from around the city centre

Work starting on the St Stephens development (will include a new transport interchange and shopping centre)

Queen Victoria Square

The most unique and best building in Hull imo, the maritime museum, former dock office HQ

Hull city hall

Princes quay shopping centre

BBC east yorkshire and lincolnshire HQ

Pics of Hull's old town

The guildhall

Various pics

The tallest building in Hull city centre, kingston house

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 5th, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
RSWB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2222

Well, for a city of its size, I've always thought Hul doesnt reall do it, but I suppose it has potential, and it does have some nice buildings. The rain doesnt exaclty help... Hopefully it will benefit from regeneration such as that seen in Leeds, Sheffield and even Doncaster now. On the note of UK's top 10 worst places to live, Bradford didn't come itno it, suprisingly... Hull City Centre is OK, not much there though, just like an average town centre. It doesnt have anything 'different' in the way that Leeds has VQ/Markets/Cornx, Manchester has Printworks/Exchange Sq. and things like that... With money put into it, it could become similar to Liverpool I suppose..
Old October 24th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #3
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1234

some impressive monumental architecture there.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #4
di Livio

Likes (Received): 1386

Bad start, quite seedy, but got much better toward the end.
The old town is magnificent.

Much better than its -on-Thames equivalent!
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2222

Yes I thought that too- got better towards the end... Has potential!
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #6
RSWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
Well, for a city of its size, I've always thought Hul doesnt reall do it, but I suppose it has potential, and it does have some nice buildings. The rain doesnt exaclty help... Hopefully it will benefit from regeneration such as that seen in Leeds, Sheffield and even Doncaster now. On the note of UK's top 10 worst places to live, Bradford didn't come itno it, suprisingly... Hull City Centre is OK, not much there though, just like an average town centre. It doesnt have anything 'different' in the way that Leeds has VQ/Markets/Cornx, Manchester has Printworks/Exchange Sq. and things like that... With money put into it, it could become similar to Liverpool I suppose..
Yes, well there is some regeneration going on but some of the developments are very average and I feel that Hull council are just going along with anything a developer comes up with as they don't want to lose out on investment in their city, currently there are two retail led developments in the pipeline but the location of these (especially with st stephens) are right on the edge of the city centre and will drain life out of other areas such as the old town (shops down whitefriargate which are already shutting down) prospect street, king edward street etc, what would be better would be to redevelop the real streets of the city and bring life back into some already run down shopping streets, rather than build an out of town like shopping centre with a HUGE tesco extra flagging it.

Hull is a waterfront city but you could be forgiven for forgetting this fact as the area fronting the river Humber is cut off by a busy dual carriageway and more effort should be made by the council so that the area fronting the river humber is opened up to visitors and residents, and along with some good quality leisure developments in that area it could be something really special, something like Portsmouth's gunwharf quays would be good here.

Well ... what am I to expect from what was named last year as the worst performing council in the country!

Also I wish Hull city council would stop their dream of becoming a top ten city, it gets so annoying it's printed in all the council's publications and I really don't think Hull could ever be top ten, it is too far out from anywhere - and the city population is one if not the fastest declining in the country, they need to sort this out first and get realistic god damn it!

ok rant over

Last edited by RSWB; October 25th, 2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old October 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #7
ranny fash
quacked

Likes (Received): 75

my brother went to uni in hull, but was so depressed after 6 months that he quit and came home.
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #8
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Based on all the recent picture threads in this section, it would appear it's been raining alot in Britain lately.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #9
RSWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by di Livio
Bad start, quite seedy, but got much better toward the end.
The old town is magnificent.

Much better than its -on-Thames equivalent!
Yes the first 6 pics were taken on friday night as I arrived into Hull, it was dark, rainy and I needed to catch a bus with my girlfriend so I rushed them a little as she was nagging me to get a move on lol, the others were all done on sunday on my own.

Oh and also my camera was set onto the lowest quality setting so I could fit more pics onto it.

Last edited by RSWB; October 25th, 2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #10
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1739

It doesnt look as bad as people make it out to be. Queen Victoria Square could really be great if it was modernised.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #11
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!
Likes (Received): 0

ignore

Last edited by scouserdave; October 27th, 2005 at 01:36 AM.
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #12
ranny fash
quacked

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond
Based on all the recent picture threads in this section, it would appear it's been raining alot in Britain lately.
it has. i miss summer.
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #13
andyains
Collar and cuffs

Thanks for the pics Brighton Boy. Takes me back a few years to my 'Ull days.

It doesn't loom great in the rain does it? But then where does? The Guildhall is a particularly impressice building whatever the weather.

Shame you didn't manage get a shot of the Deep to highlight some of the recent additions to the city

andyains no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #14
RSWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyains
Thanks for the pics Brighton Boy. Takes me back a few years to my 'Ull days.

It doesn't loom great in the rain does it? But then where does? The Guildhall is a particularly impressice building whatever the weather.

Shame you didn't manage get a shot of the Deep to highlight some of the recent additions to the city
Yeah I was going to go down there and take some pics around the marina and waterfront as well but it was pouring down and it didn't really put me in the mood to walk down there, I will try to take some next time i'm up in 'Ully
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #15
andyains
Collar and cuffs

I don't bame you mate, it looked like a miserable evening.

Do you know what the plans are for Ferensway? Last I heard was that the city council were going to redevelop it to form a covered street with a stream down the middle. The state of the station reminded me. Looks terrible
andyains no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #16
RSWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyains
I don't bame you mate, it looked like a miserable evening.

Do you know what the plans are for Ferensway? Last I heard was that the city council were going to redevelop it to form a covered street with a stream down the middle. The state of the station reminded me. Looks terrible
They are building a new bus station which will be joined onto the train station and form a transport interchange, which will be good, but also along side this will be a new shopping centre (with about 30 large units) which looks like an out of town centre and will include a massive tesco extra, it doesn't impress me one bit, it will mean already run down shopping streets in the city centre will become more run down as the main retail focus moves west onto the western edge of the city centre and away from the main retail streets like prospect street, king edward street, whitefriargate etc

This is the site for the new development - http://www.ststephens-hull.com
The front page reads - Hull's new centre, Out of town - in town

Also there are plans to expand princes quay westwards with 60 odd new shop units which will really put the nail in the coffin for the real streets of the city centre, Hull will not be able to cope with all these new units and I predict what will happen is existing stores will move to the shiny new premises and leave their old shop units/buildings to rot and become either empty units or cheap pound shops (Hull has too many of these already) as I have said in one of my posts above I think the council are going for anything that comes along, it's such a shame really, there is potential in Hull.

The latest retailers to sign up to the st stephens shopping centre are - Tesco (extra) , Next, Sports soccer and new look, which all already have a store in Hull. (why have a Tesco Extra in a town centre? these stores are meant to be out of town - it's gonna kill retail in the centre dead

Here are a few renders of the st stephens development:

The hotel is ugly and apart from the curved roof (which is it's only redeeming feature) it looks like nothing more than a bog standard out of town style shopping centre - with a lovely multi storey car park flagging one side of it.

Old October 26th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #17
di Livio

aren't foster and parts involved in something hull-related?
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #18
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 5

SHame about the weather. Some good pics, not sure I'd like to live there though.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #19
RSWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by di Livio
aren't foster and parts involved in something hull-related?
yeah they are involved in the st stephens development above, not impressed with it at all, what do you all think of it?
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #20
di Livio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton boy
yeah they are involved in the st stephens development above, not impressed with it at all, what do you all think of it?
Have to agree with you.
It looks like a '60s airport terminal in a Spanish seaside resort.
No, it does, honestly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement