Temenos | Middlehaven, Middlesbrough | 50m | Completed - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Completed Projects

Completed Projects From all North East England Sub-forum Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #1
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 151

Temenos | Middlehaven, Middlesbrough | 50m | Completed

Part of the Largest Public Art Project in the World, with structures to be built in Stockton, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Hartlepool and Redcar and Cleveland. Temenos is the first installation in the Tees Valley Giants public art initiative. It will cost £2.7m and will be an awe-inspiring 110m in length and almost 50m high.

Due to be finished by the New Year, Temenos is already Under Construction.

Construction Photos to follow soon.....
bobalania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 531

Wait, there's already a thread on this!
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #3
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

No, the other thread is for all of the Tees Valley Giants (5 in total) of which the next should be announced soon. This thread is solely for discussion and updated on Temenos not on all five of the planned structures.

Hope that clears it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Not usually a fan of massive public art (well cos its usually bits of rubbish put together) BUT that looks brilliant

I take it that it will be permanent?
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #5
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Yes, its part of the Middlehaven regeneration scheme, is one of the only certain things at the moment round there to be going up (other than an office block and some infrastructure).
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #6
lms

Likes (Received): 125

Anyone have any idea why work has stopped on Temenos?
lms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #7
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

If i remember rightly, it was some sort of accident, but i could be making that up. :P They said it shouldn't effect the finish date though. There was an article in the gazette a couple of weeks ago......
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #8
forsakenarchitecture

Likes (Received): 3

Why are there two threads for one project?
forsakenarchitecture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #9
forsakenarchitecture

''No, the other thread is for all of the Tees Valley Giants (5 in total) of which the next should be announced soon. This thread is solely for discussion and updated on Temenos not on all five of the planned structures.''

Just clocked that reply. I've removed the update in the other thread.

A selection of photos from Temenos yesterday (09.11.28). As you can see, I'm still having to make do with the camera on my mobile phone I'm afraid.

Latest article regarding this project from the Gazzette was back in September, when work stopped on site due to an accident. If anyone has any information on the current status for this site - please do post it up.

Quote:
TEMENOS, the huge sculpture set to dominate the Middlesbrough skyline, has been delayed.

Construction of the world's largest public art project got underway last week, but the Evening Gazette can reveal an "incident" has stalled progress.

Neither Tees Valley Regeneration (TVR), who commissioned the work, or Balfour Beatty, who are overseeing the assembly, have shed any light on the nature of the problem at Middlehaven, Middlesbrough.

Sean Egan, Tees Valley Regeneration's project director for Middlehaven, said: "The construction of Temenos is a one-off and - as with any major and complex construction project - sometimes unforeseen difficulties crop up.

He said: "Because of this, the order of work will have to be rescheduled but this will not affect the delivery of Temenos although it will inevitably mean a slight delay to the programme."

TVR were unable last night to elaborate on how long the delay will be.

Balfour Beatty were also at a loss to produce a timetable for construction, but did confirm none of the workers was hurt.

"We can confirm that there was an incident on the Balfour Beatty site at Middlehaven Dock, Middlesbrough, this morning.

"No body was injured as a result of the incident.

"The matter is currently under investigation so we are unable to comment further at this time.

"The health and safety of the public and its workforce is always Balfour Beatty's prime concern," said a spokesman for the London-based firm.

Plans are that Temenos, at 110m long and 50m high, is to be the first of five "Tees Valley Giants", with other erections to go up in Darlington, Stockton, Redcar and Cleveland and Hartlepool at a total cost of more than £15m.
http://ts1.gazettelive.co.uk/local-n...sculpture.html

Cheers, Forsaken.
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #10
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Good photos forsakenarchitecture!

Is this actually in Middlehaven or is it a different/seperate area?
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #11
forsakenarchitecture

Thank you TownPlanningNE

It's on the Middlehaven site, just over the road from the Riverside Stadium.

There hasn't been much change on site from September as far as I can see (except for some scaffolding been taken down).
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #12
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Thanks for those. Where you actually on site there then? Or is there a gap to see through the walls?

It Looks like its pretty much ready to lift into place, or is it that work has just totally stopped? Didn't it say in that article that it wouldn't have too much of an effect on the time plan? The latest i heard is that Temenos is to be lifted into place by Late December/January.

Will look great when its finished!!!
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #13
forsakenarchitecture

On site, except for the last one - which was taken from outside the perimeter fencing.

I'm unsure Bob, I probably know as much as you do at this point. Hopefully you're right that December/January is still a realistic aim. Next time I'm over there in normal working hours, I'll make sure to have a nosey if there is any activity on site.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one too. I'm not usually a fan of large scale sculpture like this, but this one looks very impressive.
Old November 30th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #14
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Ah ok. See if you can get a hold of one of the construction workers and find out what they know! :P

Yeah looking forward to this, but i'm looking forward to seeing what sort of designs they come up for the other regions, IF they ever get round to doing them. I'm sure the Stockton one will be next to the infinity bridge on North Shore, if on the same scale as Temenos that would be amazing!
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #15
forsakenarchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalania View Post
Ah ok. See if you can get a hold of one of the construction workers and find out what they know! :P
Yep, I'll subject them to my usual interrogation :P

I called one of the workers over when they were completing the foundations a few months back, and stopped him working for at least ten minutes :P . He said he'd just finished work on the new bridge at Stockton and that the Temenos was the start to a chain reaction of construction on the Middlehaven site.
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:11 AM   #16
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 579

It's just so frustrating seeing everything lying on the ground waiting to be built, but not knowing when it's going to happen. What on earth is the hold up?
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:33 PM   #17
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

I really don't know. Can't wait to see it go up.

Was an article in the gazette last night about it and it even mentioned announcing the 2nd giant next year!

Sound promising if hes in the know and work will start on RiversideOne. Guess he walks for Balfour Beaty?
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #18
forsakenarchitecture

Quote:
Guess he walks for Balfour Beaty?
Yep, it was a construction worker for Balfour Beaty. There was work on site today but they certainly weren't working on Temenos and it remains in the same condition as the photos above. Three men were on site working on the footpath:

No good news I'm afraid. As Talisker said, I'd like to know why it's on hold still.
Old December 5th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #19
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Who can we contact to find out more info.? We always seem to be kept int eh dark on developments on Teesside. I guess the footpath is just part of the Temenos development? Nothing will be built near Temenos for years, if ever. The land across the dock entrance is reserved for future development, and supposedly something special is planned for there, which i doubt anything will ever come out about it though!
Old December 5th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #20
lms

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Who can we contact to find out more info.? We always seem to be kept int eh dark on developments on Teesside. I guess the footpath is just part of the Temenos development? Nothing will be built near Temenos for years, if ever. The land across the dock entrance is reserved for future development, and supposedly something special is planned for there, which i doubt anything will ever come out about it though!
Bob you are beginning to sound as pessimistic as me!!!
lms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
middlehaven, project - teesside forum