SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
EU citizen
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi :) I've decided to start my own thread, because of the lack of Aarhus photos in this forum. I will post different pics i've shot over time and now want to share with you guys :)

Aarhus: 315.000 inhabitants.

ALL PHOTOS TAKEN BY ME, Jimmy J. Antonsen Edited June 30th, 2011

By Jimmy J. Antonsen

By Jimmy J. Antonsen

By Jimmy J. Antonsen

By Jimmy J. Antonsen

By Jimmy J. Antonsen

By Jimmy J. Antonsen

By Jimmy J. Antonsen

By Jimmy J. Antonsen

By Jimmy J. Antonsen

...more to come soon :)

·
EU citizen
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome work,man! :eek:kay: Hmm...is it just me,or does Aarhus really look a bit British? (I have a strong UK-feeling with those pics)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks :) Hmm...a bit british :) maybe. This pic always remind me a bit of Notting Hill in London :)

more to come...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Awesome :) My girlfriend is from Århus and I used to spend quite a lot of time there but it's been a while since I've been, so nice to see some shots :) Especially as Århus is way underrepresented, as you say.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice to se a thread about Århus, a nice city that should be far more represented on this forum!

Denmark is not only Copenhagen, we also have other nice places that deserve more attention on this site. Like Odense, Aalborg, Århus, Bornholm, Skagen, Ribe, Helsingør, Roskilde, Vejle.....just to mention some of the more interesting places...

Århus is a growing city. I remember that when I lived there from 1996-98 there lived 272.000 persons in the municipality of Århus, now 12-14 years later the numer is 307.000. Århus is not huge, but still big enough to have a lot to offer, and small enough not to stress you. So a nice city. It has many of the same things that Copenhagen has, just in minor scale. But it is also a more provincial town than Copenhagen and of course not so crowded with tourists. And the mentality in the city is a little more provincial and a little less open minded than in Copenhagen...that´s why I still prefer Copenhagen, because it is a little more diversificated and open place, while Århus is still a little provincial, even that it DOES have a lot to offer!

What do I mean with this? Well....

- Copenhagen has Christiania, Århus doesn´t ;)
- Copenhagen has a great gay-subculture, Århus doesn´t ;)
- Copenhagen has a lot of tourists from all over the world, Århus doesn´t ;)
- Århus´center is pretty small, while Copenhagens center is divided in some very different, but fascinating areas like Vesterbro, Nørrebro, Østerbro, Amagerbro and the zone around the Townhall Square and the walking street "Strøget".....that makes Copenhagen more fascinating and interesting than Århus, even that Århus IS nice ;)
- Århus only has one big soccer team, AGF which has just been relegated to the first division....while the Copenhagen area has four teams in the Superliga: FCK, Brøndby, FC Nordsjælland and Lyngby...for me as a soccer fan that makes a big difference...

But what I DO like very much about Århus is:

- Århus is pretty hilly, much more than Copenhagen...to bike in Århus is a challenge, but nice :D
- Århus has a very pretty coastline and nice forests both in the north and in the south...Marselisborg and Risskov are both nice green areas....
- Århus has Gellerupparken, which for many danes may be negative, but for me not....I loved to walk around in the Bazar or in the City West shopping center....a very ecsotic feeling....but if you are openminded, like me, I discovered that most of the muslim people there are nice enough ;)
- another good thing about Århus is that in that area of Jutland there are a lot of nice cities and places: Silkeborg, Horsens, Vejle, Randers, Skanderborg, Ebeltoft, Grenaa....and all close to eachother....even that Århus itself is not huge, if you take the whole area there still live more than a million people within one hours trip from Århus....so it´s an area with some potential!
- Århus has a very big and vibrant harbour....much more vibrant than the harbour of Copenhagen......that gives the city a nice atmosphere, I think...
- Århus has a very young population, because of it´s university, the school of commerce and other institutions....I am not QUITE sure, but I THINK that the average age for the inhabitants of Århus is some years younger than that of Copenhagen?!...which gives the city a lot of life and youthfull atmosphere....

1 - 20 of 162 Posts