SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the last time, electrification won't have negative effects.

It doesn't have to be compatible with the Scottish network at all. Why can't it be compatible with the Japanese network, t. ex.?
To reduce construction cost. Larger loading gauge, longer curve radii and electrification are too expensive for Iceland. Hence Icelandic rail network should be compatible with Scottish rail network.

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Just like a Norwegian HSR-network must be made to suit Norway's needs, a Icelanding rail network must be made to suit Iceland's needs. To start off with the basic premise that it needs to be compatible with any other network (let alone the Scottish) is really quite stupid. I'm pretty sure those making the preliminary study will be capable to figure out such details.

·
Agenda 21 Advocate
4,151 Posts
To reduce construction cost. Larger loading gauge, longer curve radii and electrification are too expensive for Iceland. Hence Icelandic rail network should be compatible with Scottish rail network.
And why not the English or Welsh rail networks? What makes the Scottish rail network so special?

Why are a larger loading gauge and electrification too expensive for Iceland? I didn't know Iceland was a third-world country.

And what happened to the premise that Icelanders are more likely to die of electric shocks? :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I understand that I'm speaking to a wall here, but why this? Because Scotland has left-hand traffic?
Yes.

Just like a Norwegian HSR-network must be made to suit Norway's needs, a Icelanding rail network must be made to suit Iceland's needs. To start off with the basic premise that it needs to be compatible with any other network (let alone the Scottish) is really quite stupid. I'm pretty sure those making the preliminary study will be capable to figure out such details.
Icelandic network should be compatible with Scottish network.

^^That's because they're old. If they were done today, they would certainly be electrified.
No.

Why are a larger loading gauge and electrification too expensive for Iceland? I didn't know Iceland was a third-world country.
Anyway, Icelandic rail network must be built sooner. Hence Icelandic rail network should be 1435mm track with small loading gauge, tight curves and diesel trains.

·
Arae et foci
1,206 Posts
Well, there is already too much air polution in Reykjavik metro area - don't think if railway really happens it will be build unelectrified. That would be a real stupidity and missed oportunity. Usage of cars in Reykjavik is one of the highest in the world - if they want people people switch to trains, the have to be modern, shiny, and electrified. Icelanders like modern, shiny things :) And since electricity here comes from gethoermal sources then it's abundant and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
^^ There would simply be no point in building a diesel powered rail network in Iceland. The big selling point for a rail network is that it could be powered with a domestic, cheap, renewable and clean energy.

·
12,320 Posts
Sorry i didn't see your first reported post Bart_LCY, this went on too long unnoticed. I've deleted many posts now so lets bring this thread back to business!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bjarki, you should send your proposals to the City of Reykjavík. Or perhaps at least send a request to see if the issue could be debated and possible sources of funding examined.

I’m sure if there’s money to re-build/expand Landspítalinn and construct 500 new apartments for students in Iceland then there’s money available to at least look at this possibility. It could provide many areas of Reykjavík with an economic boost, and it will of course create a lot of jobs both during construction and afterwards. The matter has been brought up in parliament before post-kreppa, and whilst there are other big issues to debate at the moment, this still needs to be talked about!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I have seriously considered doing that. The Best Party that now rules in Reykjavík is very open to original ideas. At least it would plant the seed and maybe encourage some discussion.

However, this is something that requires planning for several decades in advance and such long-term thinking is not a part of the Icelandic national character. We are like children that only want instant gratification. Adding more lanes for cars and more multi-level freeway junctions is a relatively quick and cheap solution that provides a short-term fix for mobility in a growing, city but then everybody acts surprised when the city chokes itself to death with congestion and pollution (and its inhabitants get ever more obese and unhealthy from the sedentary lifestyle).

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Since you're from Iceland itself, let me ask you, how's the vehicular traffic going? Are things still manageable atm........or has it started to get congested (i.e. gridlock)........especially in the CBD (Borgartun)

Anyways:
The only way locals will be convinced to shift from their private cars to the trains is:
1) Connection between the capital and KEF airport
2) Urban metro rail in the capital city/city center

It starts from there :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
^^There are certain bottlenecks that grind to a halt during rush hour. Miklabraut west of Kringla for instance. That is a main east/west artery that carries a lot of traffic but can't be expanded any more without going underground.

Traffic goes slowly in may other places during rush hour, such as around Borgartún and Skeifan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have seriously considered doing that. The Best Party that now rules in Reykjavík is very open to original ideas. At least it would plant the seed and maybe encourage some discussion.
I really think you should, I think this is something that should at least be debated. As a student of Icelandic here in Iceland I find this kind of thing fascinating. I was thinking about designing a website for a potential Icelandic train company the other day... I just had loads of ideas! But you seem to have more of an idea of where is best to build the routes etc. so I think you should submit your proposal!

·
forumer #29
4,541 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I'll prepare something soon to send out to politicians and interest groups. I am becoming a Reykjaviking myself in January so I'll also a have a bigger personal stake in this thing.

Now is the time to start thinking big, there is a significant shift in public attitudes towards public transportation that has been happening lately. The Reykjavík metro bus company is reporting record ridership and the modal share of private cars has been dropping. The most popular bus route (route number 1) which is the main north-south trunk route now gets 5000 riders per day and the bus company is having troubles accommodating these numbers with its current vehicles.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts