SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Where did you get these plans? It´s probably a very interesting read.

In June/July of this year, Samtök Steitarfélagana á Höfuðborgarsvæðinu (the collaberation between the councils in the capital area) released the new city plans from 2015. They outline how the city should grow, and shows development areas. The Mayor of Reykjavík has signed under this plan, among other officials.

ssh.is/svaedisskipulag - In icelandic

In this report, they outline a light rail system, called ´Borgarlína´, which seems to be the same system that Bjarki posted. This means that light rail transport is ´on the agenda´ for Reykjavik, but preemptive studies are still in the works. It will be interesting to see where this will head.
I don't remember the particular document I got these plans from but it was in relation to SSH regional plan, probably a special transportation annex to the SSH plan. I was pleasantly surprised to see the plan being approved unanimously by the seven municipal authorities that form the SSH. This general outline seems to have support in different municipalities and across party lines so I guess it will move forward in some form. I consider BRT more likely than light rail though, at least to begin with.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Any news on the Keflavík-Reykjavík rail line? Haven't seen any articles for a while
This is the latest I could find:

Investors hope to set plans of a high-speed rail link between Reykjavík and Keflavík Airport into motion in 2018

A group of investors hopes to set plans of a high-speed rail link between Reykjavík and Keflavík Airport into motion within the next three years. Fréttablaðið newspaper reports that a high-speed rail link would cost 105 billion ISK (37.5 million Euros) to construct. In addition to private investors, Reykjavík, Kópavogur, Hafnarfjörður, Reykjanesbær and Garðarbær municipalities will partake and contribute to the challenging project.

[...]

“We are confident that we will be able to provide funds to launch the project in February [2016]. The next three years will devoted to assess the impact a rain link will have on the environment and to prepare preliminary designs and plans. Our hopes are that construction can begin in 2018,” Runólfur said.

Source: http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/investors-hope-set-plans-a-high-speed-rail-link-between-reykjavik-and-keflavik-airport

101 - 105 of 105 Posts