SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Akmerkez was built and commissioned on December 18,1993 by the joint venture of the Akkök, Tekfen and Istikbal groups. The aim of this four storied shopping center is to provide a cleaner, safer and more comfortable environment for visitors with its year round air conditioning / heating equipment, detection, warning and suppression systems, music broadcasting system, modern security systems and impeccable building automation services. The Akmerkez complex is established on 180,000 square meters and comprises a four story shopping area, 14 and 17 stories of office space and 23 stories of residential area. The shopping center is spread over a triangular area and is connected to the surrounding main galleries through 3 atriums. There are 41 escalators, 2 panaromic elevators, and 30 elevators which provide greater speed and access to visitors.

In 1995, Akmerkez was selected as "The Best Shopping Center in Europe" by the International Council of Shopping Centers, ICSC. In the competition organized by this same council, Akmerkez received the " Best Shopping Center In The World" award in 1996. It also received the highest accolade given by the ICSC the International Design and Development Award. Akmerkez is the first shopping center in the world to receive both of the above mentioned awards. In 1999, Akmerkez received the ICSC Solal Marketing Award in the "Community Relations" category. In March 2001, Akmerkez received a second ICSC Solal Marketing Award in the same category for the "Exterior Windows Display Contests". ICSC Maxi Award, which was granted in October 2001 for the "Exterior Windows Contest", is the most recent accomplishment of Akmerkez.

Akmerkez is open every day of the week between 10:00-22:00 and is visited by 1-1.5 million people every month (daily traffic of 40.000-45.000 during the week days and over 70.000 on weekends and holidays). The cleaning, security and general maintenance is provided by a cleaning work force of 120, a security force of 146 and a technical and managerial team of 115.

Akmerkez provides a wide range of products to it's visitors and has topped the world average of 85% occupancy with a leasing of 98%. The types of shops are determined by the "shop mix" method employed elsewhere around the world. Akmerkez, with its 246 shops, provides outstanding women's, men's and children's clothing and textiles, stationery, toys, sports, shoes, eyewear and gift shops along with restaurants, cinemas, hairdressers, banks, a currency exchange office, electronic goods, orthopedic goods, car accesories, shoe shine services, a tailor, a pet shop, and a supermarket for all the shoppers' needs.

Transportation services are provided free of charge to business centers and hotels nearby, allowing for a greater variety of visitors.

Visitors in Akmerkez spend an average of 3,5 hours in this shopping center, the world average being 2,5 hours.

The various social and cultural activities organised by Akmerkez make it more than just a shopping centre; they make it a part of a life style.

After a brief introductions let's have a look at the mall :D:

·
re re re ra ra ra
4,745 Posts
Excellent quality shopping mall - thoroughly impressed when I went :eek:kay:

·
I am sterdam
4,762 Posts
I was there too. I like it. The women too ;) :) . I didn't no that there was security by the entrances.

Inside

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Akmerkez today

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
after i took the picture suddenly the lights were on, and my bus was coming, and i was there in the middle of the road trying to take another picture:D my hands shook a little

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Akmerkez today

·
Registered
4,077 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
inside

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I prefer Cevahir and Kanyon. Contrary to popular belief it is only the 5 biggest mall in the world in terms of gross retail space. 2 new megamalls in China will push it further down the list in the near future.

Kanyon

·
Banned
10 Posts
The biggest mall of the world(MALL OF ARABIA) will be built in DUBAI.The constructions of the biggest mall will end 2008 with 1,8 million m².It is more than five times bigger than Cevahir.The
second big mall of Dubai is DUBAI MALL with 1,1million m².

Mall of Arabia

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
having the biggest or the second 3rd, n.th etc. isn't such a cool thing

i don't like Cevahir
i'ts too big

·
Registered
18,110 Posts
Akmerkez Tower 1 : 100m / 28 floors ; completed in 1992
Akmerkez Tower 2 : 76m / 21 floors ; completed in 1992
Akmerkez Tower 3 : 65m / 18 floors ; completed in 1992

Akmerkez Shopping Mall is the only retail facility which won both the "Best Shopping Mall of the World" (1996, 1999, 2001) and the "Best Shopping Mall of Europe" (1995) awards from ICSC.

Interior:

At christmas time:

·
Awesome User
3,292 Posts
Looks nice, they must renovate or they have no chance for the future... Akmerkez isn't that much hit or groovy place anymore. It lost all of its popularity...

·
Head Knockin' Forever
12,983 Posts
Yes they are going to renovate it, I wasn't aware that it was including the outdoors, BUT IT IS!!!

Look at the news.. http://www.nethaber.com/Haber/53508/Akmerkez-mart-ayinda-baslayacak-ve

Akmerkez'i, daha önce Capitol'ü yenileyen ve Pekin'de olimpik kentteki alışveriş merkezinin mimarı olan Concept i Design yapacak. Alışveriş merkezinin hem içini hem de dışını tamamen değiştireceklerini dile getiren Concept i Genel Müdürü Geoff Morrison, "İstanbul son derece saydam ve yansımaları olan bir şehir. Biz de buradan ilham aldık. Parlak doğal taşların kullanılacağı yeni Akmerkez, Boğaz'daki hareket eden bir geminin suyu yarması görüntüsü verecek. Açık renkler kullanacağımız iç görünümde, en son teknolojiler yer alacak" diye konuştu.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts