SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1166 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ŽILINA is a centre of northeast Slovakia and one of the largest towns of the Slovak Republic. It is a seat of administration of the Žilina Region, one of the 8 regions of the Slovak Republic, with the area of 6,788 sq. km, and with the population of 692 582 inhabittants. The Region of Žilina involves 4 historical regions: Kysuce, Liptov, Orava and Turiec. The District of Žilina covers an area of 815 sq. km, and its population is 156,921 (1 January 2000) who inhabit 50 villages and 3 towns - Žilina, Rajec and Rajecké Teplice.

In the 15-19th centuries Žilina was an important centre of craftsman manufactures, trade and education. "Articles" of the furrier's guild originate from 1488. In later years further crafts were established: the tailor's, butcher's, blacksmiths', draper's etc. At the end of the 17th century there were 16 guilds in Žilina and 200 manufactures, out of them 150 draper's.

Old city centre has been proclaimed the urban sight preservation (mostly reneisance manor house on the Marianske square with typical vaults, baroque churches and monasteries).

Now the city and the whole region enjoys the relative prosperity. Also thanks to the mayor of the town, Jan Slota, which is regarded as one of the most skilful in Slovakia, some say, the only real competition to him is the mayor of Bratislava Andrej Durkovsky.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
its a cool city, I always go there when I'm in Lipotovsky Mikulas, could you also create a thread about Martin please

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Martin deserves a special thread, the centre is more broad and the architecture mostly from 18-19 century. The pictures on official Martin thread are protected, but in the meantime coul help at least this site http://www.martin.sk/?s=foto&ob=1 - architecture on the album "Pešia zóna".

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Wicky said:
Thanks, Martin deserves a special thread, the centre is more broad and the architecture mostly from 18-19 century. The pictures on official Martin thread are protected, but in the meantime coul help at least this site http://www.martin.sk/?s=foto&ob=1 - architecture on the album "Pešia zóna".
Martin has a beautiful city center, and amazing landscapes (as the whole Slovensko)
Dakujem Kamaratku

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, Slovakia never ceases to amaze me. When I go to Poland next year, I will definetly find some time to visit this country.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you.

Let me post some more pictures of Zilina:

Dam Hricovkska priehrada

little bit folklore, as the region is quite rich in folk traditions:

in the near there are also some mountain walks, this the place, called Janosikove diery:

And the projects are going on as well, the proposal of the new administrative and residential complex:

Also the places in the near of Zilina, Terchova (birthplace of Slovak Juraj Janosik, which character is similar to the Robin Hood), Rajec, Vychylovka are quite worth of visit. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice!!

In the spirit of that Slovakia/Slovenia comparison thread I strated a few weeks ago, this castle (or, more accurately, its location)...

Wicky said:
...really reminds me of Bled Castle, Slovenia:

^^^ Note the lake at the bottom of the pic!

Top image: burger.si; Bottom image:slovenia-tourism.si

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AZ2SI said:
Nice!!

In the spirit of that Slovakia/Slovenia comparison thread I strated a few weeks ago, this castle (or, more accurately, its location)...

...really reminds me of Bled Castle, Slovenia:

^^^ Note the lake at the bottom of the pic!

Top image: burger.si; Bottom image:slovenia-tourism.si
Well, Bled is near the lake, while Strecno is near the river. And Bled is renovated, or preserved castle, while Strecno are the ruins. But anyway, thanks :) and will post shortly the thread about Martin, or Turciansky Svaty Martin (the old name of Martin) ;)

·
Registered
16,881 Posts
but what about Hyundai investment?
Kobierzyce(near Wroclaw) lost this project. I have heard there is a lot of problems about it.Whats going on now?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rafis said:
but what about Hyundai investment?
Kobierzyce(near Wroclaw) lost this project. I have heard there is a lot of problems about it.Whats going on now?
Yes, there has been problems, which have been occupying our media for at least 3 months. The owners of the land did not want to sell the land, under which the future plant will exist, for the offered price and they requied huger sum. However, the foundation stone was layed down in October. Now the Ministry of Economy is much more careful and announces only the projects, which sites and cisrcumstances are possibly problems-free, it means, that the mayors and city councils first made agreements with the land owners and following up is the site offered to the investors.

And, by the way, Poland won Whirpool investment - Whirpool moved part of the production from Poprad, Gilette and others...

·
Registered
16,881 Posts
Wicky said:
Yes, there has been problems, which have been occupying our media for at least 3 months. The owners of the land did not want to sell the land, under which the future plant will exist, for the offered price and they requied huger sum. However, the foundation stone was layed down in October. Now the Ministry of Economy is much more careful and announces only the projects, which sites and cisrcumstances are possibly problems-free, it means, that the mayors and city councils first made agreements with the land owners and following up is the site offered to the investors.

And, by the way, Poland won Whirpool investment - Whirpool moved part of the production from Poprad, Gilette and others...
Ok now I understand. Whirlpool's factory is building in Wroclaw :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Polish-Slovak friendship.

·
Krakus rodowity
5,749 Posts
I like the location, beautiful mountains!
And the city looks very nice.

Great view!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are the photos of commemorating the national monument. I guess, you are hinting mayor Jan Slota views. I may not approve all of his opinions, but despite his political attitude he did a lot to make Žilina a prosperous city - booming university, infrastructure investments, comparable lot of new constructiins and projects. Btw, in Žilina is a seat of Slovak-Polish Chamber of Commerce - I think in Bielsko-Biala is a Polish-Slovak one.
And - a cute girl on the photo.

1 - 20 of 1166 Posts