Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
----------------> NEWS <-------------

So the above photo on flickr says May 2015 which is wrong.

It must be from earlier this winter because I have now correct info, as newer photos are gradually uploaded on flickr

It is a painful process to sieve through the internet, for updates....

So we have indeed huge progressed this season, almost all the stadium's columns are up, and suddenly the gymnasium appeared near the yellow crane!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/clairemcox/16867418983/in/photostream/

Compare it yourself. At least 5-6 olive trees are also missing for the gymnasium columns to be restored, and also from near the domed grave, which must be next in line for restoration

This lies on the right of the crane.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sail_4_fun/12368210213/sizes/c/

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The restorations are extensive and impossible to follow closely. There is another colonnade being restored between the Asclepeion and the theather in the agora. Generally speaking by the end of the summer we'll have a better picture, but the only certainty is that we are going full throttle for a new unsesco site/nostra prize

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
http://news.in.gr/culture/article/?aid=1500027047

Στη τελική ευθεία τα έργα στην Αγορά της αρχαίας Μεσσήνης

Η αναστήλωση της δωρικής στοάς, μήκους 34 μ., που βρέθηκε στη δυτική πλευρά της Αγοράς στην αρχαία Μεσσήνη, έρχεται να ολοκληρώσει το αναστηλωτικό πρόγραμμα που «τρέχει» στον περίφημο αρχαιολογικό χώρο της περιοχής τα τελευταία χρόνια. Μαζί της θα αναδειχθεί και το περιστύλιο με τους αρράβδωτους κίονες, που αντιστοιχεί σε αρχαίο κρεοπωλείο (σφαγείο για την ακρίβεια), το οποίο αποτελούσε ένα από τα καταστήματα αυτής της πλευράς της αγοράς.

Η υλοποίηση των παραπάνω, μετά και τη θετική γνωμοδότηση του Κεντρικού Αρχαιολογικού Συμβουλίου, έχει ήδη ξεκινήσει.

Το αναστηλωτικό πρόγραμμα, που πραγματοποιείται τα τελευταία χρόνια στον αρχαιολογικό χώρο, είναι ενταγμένο σε ΕΣΠΑ. Ολοκληρώνεται στο τέλος του έτους και αφορά, εκτός από τη δωρική στοά και το περιστύλιο του κρεοπωλείου, τις αναστηλώσεις μνημείων, όπως της τρίκλιτης βόρειας στοάς της Αγοράς, των εντυπωσιακών Γυμνασίου και Σταδίου κι ενός πύργου στα τείχη της αρχαίας Μεσσήνης.

This must refer to post #8

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Of course! It's one of the best preserved Greek sites.

·
Banned
✓ Fact-checked by CNN cultural marxists
1,774 Posts
Of course! It's one of the best preserved Greek sites.
I am reading through the thread now and I see you are updating on progress of works. I will show you the newest things in Messine from this month. They were working in the Gym and surrounding rooms when I was there.

Gym:

Preparing columns:

Preparing pieces:

Getting ready to add the entablature to the building opposite:

Inside Gym.

Adding some more metopes to the Gym:

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Incredible! It's great to see so much of the architecture surviving. It's a pity most sites only have the foundations and tiny fragments of disjointed members.

Reactions: Busco

·
Banned
✓ Fact-checked by CNN cultural marxists
1,774 Posts
I think what I was little shocked at is how empty the museum is for such a large site. Literally nearly everything of value has been taken from the site over the last 2 millennia perhaps explained by the fact that the site was never fully abandoned.

On the plus the site it self is exceptional. Lots and lots of things to see. What was impressive is some of the parts perhaps the tourists don't venture to. For example the back of the Saithidae mausoleum was really impressive. The state of preservation is very good and it reminded me of a Piranesi print.

And those stunning city walls away from the main site - almost Greece's Great Wall of China.

Would be nice to see these restored.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts