SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 923 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Former Fix Factory

Another interesting (proposed) addition to the urban landscape of Athens. The existing Fix Factory is a listed building. I assume it is to be retained and incorporated into the proposed scheme...Something to watch out for.... :)

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Great animation. I've heard about this conversion and actually thought it was underway.

It's great to see Athens becomimg one of Europe's true cultural capitals. Not just a a major destination for the arts of antiquity, but contemporary interests as well. Athinais in Votanikos is an old silk factory that has been converted into a museum, amongst other uses.

NicolasII welcome to the forums. :)

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
12,288 Posts
After a very long period of anticipation, the part of "Fix" brewery that is not demolished will become a museum, following a long period of legal fights and uncertainty.

Not truly a piece of art but a representative sample of industrial modernistic architecture, it will create a bipole as far as contemporary arts are concerned, combined with the "Onassis House of Letters" in Syggrou Avenue which is already topped out.

With these two museums, and with the Acropolis museum which is expected to be completed next year, Athens becomes world-class as far as its museum infrastructure is concerned since other museums like the Archaeological,museum, have been renovated too.

But the Fix, is going to be something else... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is not the design if u drive past the building u can see they are keepin the frame of the old building and just modernising the facade with new glass windows etc http://andreasangelidakis.blogspot.com/2006/07/grande-promenade-opens-tonight-in.html and the interior will have escalators like the outside of the Pompidou center I think http://www.emst.gr/MUSEUM-org_ENG.asp?lang_id=ENG&msi1=MUSEUM&mssi1=MUSEUM-org If someone takes a photo of the actual building standing now its is covered by the new design of what it will look like. I'm not 100% sure about the project, nothing is very clear about it like what company is reconstructing it etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the final plan is to keep the large uninteresting square building as a musuem than it is disapointing, I don't beleive the Fix factory is an important historic building, I beleive it is a large minimilistic building with no appeal or originality and Athenians hate it!!!

It's always been an ugly big rectangular building as any athenian will tell you. How could Athens new modern museum be so boring and bland. It should be demolished and made into a state of the art showpiece museum. How can it be a historic building apart from it's size and old function the actual architecture has no importance to architecture in Greece or anywhere it is just a simple rectangular building anyone can design that!!! Can someone please justify it's simplicity??? It's not elegant, It's not revoloutionary, what is special about the old factory????????? Technopolis had enough architectural features to help pull off it's success Fix has none. Even Tate Modern in London looks very simple from afar, but if u look closley it has certain details and features like it's brickwork etc which are simple and effective.

If the basic frame and shape of the building is kept, many dramatic changes to it's overall look will have to be made, infact it would actually be a huge architectural challenge to just make the building look attractive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
H shmasia tou Fix

Hi guys. I do not know how relative you are with design and architecture, but the Fix building was designed by Takis Zenetos, one of the most internationally renown Greek architects. It is a declared monument building, considered a preserved landmark building by ICOMOS (International Council On Monuments and Arts). See this:

http://www.culture2000.tee.gr/ATHENS/ENGLISH/BUILDINGS/BUILD_TEXTS/B48_t.html

And that is why it is so important and what the fuss is all about in the greek and in the international architectural community. Regarding the Modern Tate building, before the Herzog/De Meuron renovation, it was not anything unique architecturally as there are other stations like this in Britain. It was simply at the most advantageous location and in better condition than most.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Fix Factory is worthy of its status as a listed moderm monument (heritage Item). Its austere utilitarian facade certainly adds to its appeal.

Let's not forget that one of the Athens' greatest charms is how the various urban layers of the City's development interact to produce the vibrant metropolis that we have today.

I think the City of Athens can only benefit when these older buildings are retained and reworked into the modern fabric of the City.

The OAKA site was reworked to give it a modern new face and I'm certain that the same approach will also be successful on the Fix site.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I read that there were problems with the builders not doing a good job and that they were looking for a new builder.

Zenetos is my favourate architect, most of his buildings are in a bad state or have been destroyed.

I personally have seen 14 of his buildings.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Reconstruction of the former FIX factory into a museum to finally start!

Aπίστευτο κι όμως αληθινό: σήμερα στις 12.30 το μεσημέρι ο υπουργός Πολιτισμού Γιώργος Βουλγαράκης και ο πρόεδρος του Διοικητικού Συμβουλίου του Εθνικού Μουσείου Σύγχρονης Τέχνης Κυριάκος Γριβέας θα υπογράψουν τη σύμβαση κατασκευής του κτιρίου του νέου μουσείου.

[...]

Σε δύο περίπου χρόνια, η ελληνική πρωτεύουσα θα αποχαιρετήσει την εξευτελιστική λίστα με τις (ελάχιστες) ευρωπαϊκές πόλεις χωρίς μουσείο σύγχρονης τέχνης. (!!!!!!!!)

Το νέο Εθνικό Μουσείο Σύγχρονης Τέχνης θα εγκατασταθεί σε ό,τι απέμεινε από το εργοστάσιο του Φιξ στη λεωφόρο Συγγρού (έργο Τάκη Ζενέτου). Η αρχιτεκτονική μελέτη που απέσπασε το πρώτο βραβείο του διεθνούς διαγωνισμού υπογράφουν τα γραφεία 3SK Στυλιανίδης Aρχιτέκτονες, Tim Ronalds Architects I. Mουζάκης & Συνεργάτες Aρχιτέκτονες EΠE. Ενώ στην όψη της Συγγρού «ανασυντίθεται» η κεντρική ιδέα του Ζενέτου, στο μέτωπο της οδού Kαλλιρρόης επιχειρείται μια συμβολική υπόμνηση της τοπογραφίας της περιοχής: η «τομή» του γειτονικού Iλισού, που έρρεε μέχρι τη δεκαετία του ’50 πριν καλυφθεί από τη λεωφόρο Kαλλιρρόης, «επανέρχεται» με την πέτρινη «κουρτίνα» που ντύνει την όψη της εισόδου του μουσείου, αναφορά στα ιζηματογενή πετρώματα της κοίτης του, και τον υδάτινο τοίχο στο επίπεδο του ισογείου, ανάμεσα στον όγκο των εκθέσεων και το έδαφος.

Source: http://news.kathimerini.gr/4dcgi/_w_articles_civ_2_26/06/2007_232053

Σύμβαση για την κατασκευή του έργου: "Κατασκευή του Εθνικού Μουσείου Σύγχρονης Τέχνης - Πρώην Κτίριο FIX", προϋπολογισμού 42.126.281,98 Ευρώ υπέγραψε η Βιοτέρ. Ο χρόνος κατασκευής του έργου είναι 24 μήνες.

Source: http://www.imerisia.gr/article.asp?catid=5971&subid=2&pubid=314027

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

·
Ομόθρησκ&#
5,331 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The park just outside the future museum (covering the underground parking and metro) has been completed! They've planted grass, trees, and plants - it really looks good... :)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Any pictures??

·
Banned
677 Posts
When will it be completed?

·
Banned
677 Posts
1 - 20 of 923 Posts