1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
dRusenec :)
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The promised Balchik photos :)

The little marina and port of Balchik:

Seaside:

A view from the roof of the hotel and our hotel room :)

Apparently the marina functions as heliport too..

Balchik:

A boat trip:

The streets of Balchik:

The marina:

The Botanical Garden of Balchik and the Palace:

The grave of the Romanian princess Maria:

Near Kavarna: there are hundreds of those around. I expected to see some...but those were just TOO MUCH:

Cape Kaliakra:

Medieval ruins:

The museum of Kaliakra...located in a cave:

Kavarna: an agricultural town trying to become a tourist attraction. Boring, not very pretty, underdeveloped and needs at least 5 years to become a real resort. However, the vicinity of Balchik, cape Kaliakra, 2 golf courses and lots of luxury residential complexes will probably boost its development:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wow, Balchik looks amazing! Im definitely going next time im in bulgaria. Its a shame about the windmills though.

·
Euro Mod
17,277 Posts
How's the beach in Balchik? In the photos it seems it's mostly rocky and abrupt, but I also see some portions which seem to be covered in smooth sand and gently descend into the sea.

Those shots of the marina look great.:eek:

·
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ Well, no, maybe we had one, dunno...up that hill there is construction activity, I think some kind of residential complex or holiday villas are being built there, actually you can even see a digger machine there.

As for the beaches of Balchik...we had one, a very small one really with smooth sand, but the water there was full of algae and not exactly the cleanest one due to the proximity of the marina. Balchik actually is a large (geographically, not in terms of population) town, there are some really nice beaches, but not there.

Anyway, the best beach nearby is in Albena AFAIK. It's an old commie resort about 9 kilometers away from Balchik and has a very good beach. The resort itself...well say I don't like that. It's kinda mixture of 80s big commie resort and a southern Bulgarian seaside town, though it's much more silent after 23:00 :)

The water BTW was cold, I couldn't stand it and preferred swimming pools instead.

As for Balchik...I think it needs another 3-4 years to become a top-class Bulgarian resort. It has a lot of potential, but still some things need to get fixed: one of them is the marina, I don't like it. Another is an ugly deserted industrial building next to it which have to be demolished.

What I like about Balchik is that all the nightlife is concentrated near the seaside and actually most of the town is very calm during the night. This is rarely the case in most seaside towns/resorts here.

There were actually many Romanians there :)

·
Euro Mod
17,277 Posts
My mistake. That picture is actually from Kavarna, as you said. I was referring to Balchik AB...

Btw, is that the smooth sand beach (orange circle)? Lol, I start to sound like Radi...:crazy:

I don't know why you don't like the marina. You probably have your reasons, but it looks good in the pictures here.:)

·
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's an interesting question but I cannot answer since I've never been at that place :) If only I knew...I should have checked.

I don't like the marina because it could be much better. For example, previous year I went to Sv.Vlas and visited the Dinevi Marina:

http://www.venidyacht.com/vbg/vy.php?id=9

There is some difference :) However, the Balchik marina is not so bad....it's only that...hmm it's not so new probably.

·
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW you people drive like crazy :) I almost lost my life today driving back to Ruse because of a crazy Romanian lady in a big big jeep. This woman is crazy, absolute kamikaze! You really know how to overtake cars bravely. But this woman...man...she was playing kinda Russian roulette.

·
Euro Mod
17,277 Posts
Tell me about it.:lol: Wouldn't you like to see these people in their natural habitat, on the Romanian roads?:naughty:

·
Banned
9,467 Posts
Once more bgrs Thanks for the pictures :cheers:

We haven't seen much from this part of BG...as for the wind farms, I don't understand what people have against them...aesthetic pollution??...So would a nuclear, coal or a hydro-electric plant be better?...It is a clean source of energy and more and more developed/underdeveloped countries start to use it :)

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
BGRS, thanks for the pictures. It seems like you stayed in a nice hotel on the water front. Somebody must be doing really well.......financially!

·
19,386 Posts

·
инто спе
6,821 Posts
right? 6th Fighter Air Base that's now rarely used.:D
Yeah it used to be one of the main air-bases, today it has supportive function mainly. It's practically still on service but it's not a fighter base anymore.

bgrs, the shots are great :)

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.