SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Бахчисарай - мусульманська Україна | Bakhchysarai

8K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  jsvx 
#1 ·
Bahchisarai is a city in southern Ukraine which was once capital of the Independent Tatar country here. During soviet occupation, most Tatars were deported to Siberia and other parts of Russia. After Ukrainian Independence they came back.

This is a palace in Bahchisarai

See less See more
#2 ·
That "Mosque" has the most beautiful minaret (the tower, like a church steeple) I've ever seen. The whole building is gorgeous, it is more beautiful that the "Painted Mosque" in Travnik. And to see the "Sarai" somewhere else, it brings me a feeling of comfort. So often I feel so isolated from the Western and Eastern worlds due to our unique balance between them. :)

Sharing this, Stanislav, you have warmed my heart. :) I will not forget, thank you very much.

#5 ·
Mila, you're welcome. I'll post more pictures if I stumble upon them. You mentioned "sarai" what does it mean? I have no clue.

Pavlo, you should go. I went there and it's very unusual place, being in Ukraine and all. And Hersones is nearby, which is also interesting to visit. The ancient Greek colony.

#8 ·
3tmk, I'm glad I did. Some Ukrainians have no idea about this either, so it's alright that you didn't.

Mila, great pictures. Always strikes me how different it looks so from northern Ukraine. It has this Balkan-feeling, doesn't it? :) Not all of Crimea, but specifically this western-crimean part. Eastern (Yalta, Kerch, Feodisiya) is a whole different story.

#9 ·
Sarai is Arabic/Persian/Turkish word, it means "Palace". It is also found in the name of my city, Sarajevo.

Saraj is simply a Slavic spelling of "Sarai" - and the "evo" ending is similar to "grad".

Here are some more photos of this small, unusual face of Ukraine:

Begun in the 16th century, the palace is the work of turkish, persian, ukrainian and italian craftsmen employed by the Tatar Khans.

The mosque was designed by persian master builder Omer in 1763.

The Tatar Khans originally moved down from the cave city at Chufut-Kaleh, further up the valley, with the aim of living in greater comfort than the caves could offer. The buildings were added over many generations.

Visitors entered the halls inside the palace through the Demir Qapu (`Iron Gate'), designed by italian architect Alvise Novi.

Look up as you wander through the interior of the palace - the carved wooden ceilings are remarkable.

Daylight enters the 16th century Divan hall through a series of beautiful stained glass windows. The Divan was the state council of the crimean khanate.

The fountain cooled the air here on hot summer days. The Khan and his chieftains would come here to relax after business in the Divan hall.

The minaret of the palace's main mosque soars skyward.​

#10 ·
Thanks a lot Mila. Always interesting to know more about my country. Particularly what "Sarai" means is interesting, it's the opposite of what it means in Ukrainian, as Pavlo pointed out.

#12 ·
Shows how diverse Ukraine is, once again, thanks Mila :eek:kay:

#15 ·

Nice image. I bet nobody would ever guess that it's in Ukraine in GTC.

#18 ·
3tmk, well, Ukraine is the ultimate Holy Land :D

#24 ·
Минулого тижня назнімав там всюди кількасот фото - можливо, щось додам від себе...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.