SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 1559 Posts

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much Macedonian cities, so i thought i should share some photo's of Bitola, the second largest city in Macedonia, located in the southern part. Anyone who has read Black Lamb and Grey Falcon, would know that Bitola was really supposed to be the capital of Macedonia, but it didn't end up becoming the capital, maybe because of its location. It's a pleasant city, with very nice architecture and the Bitolcanki (the female's from Bitola) are crazy;) There are many old songs about Bitola, famous one 'Bitola, my birth place' (Bitola moj roden kraj) Now for the pictures (please no arguments or provoking comments) :)

Either old family houses, or Consulates from Ottoman times

Highschool named after Tito

Dedicated to Milton Manaki, who along with his brother opened the first Photography shop in the balkans in Bitola.

Entrance to Jewish Cemetary

Virtual tour, part of Bitola
http://www.exploringmacedonia.com/default.asp?ItemID=57E806BF7BE65D4182209C4510FCC7AB

Anyone else have any Bitola pictures, post them here:) Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Bitola looks nice. The huge commies create a nice contrast. I like the architecture of the smaller buildings. Population? SEcond biggest city?

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some more beautiful pictures of Bitola and the vicinity. Hope to show everyone the city, its inhabbitants, as well as the nature.

Village of Bukovo

School children showing off their masks;)

Mountain Baba (grandmother)

This is in the National Park Pelister, right next to Bitola

Baba Mountain again

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Guys, no offence, but I find Bitola a lot more charming and nicer than Skopje. In Bulgaria it is known as the "city of the consules".

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Guys, no offence, but I find Bitola a lot more charming and nicer than Skopje. In Bulgaria it is known as the "city of the consules".
that's the consensus NB, altough as an subjective Skopjan I'd disagree :gunz: . There are several reasons for this but the one that I find the most important is that Skopje had a big quake and Bitola didn't.

BTW Bitola reafirmed its status as the "city of the consules". I think it has some 10 consulates now, last one being the Bulgarian one.

·
Banned
578 Posts
Skopje has nothing to show regarding architecture.. yes that wasnt the case b4 the 1963 earthquake, but today it has very little to show in terms of history. The only thing where Skopje beats any ither city in MK is in terms of development, infrustructure and industrial aswell as a better living standard.

1 - 20 of 1559 Posts