SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 40806 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what you guys think about russia current catastrophic demographics (loosing many each year). as an european im worried by this. this immense country needs a big population. For example if siberia looses too many people it can be flooded by chinese people and slowly taken..

is theire a debate in russia about this, or people and medias dont care? a russian girl told me once after the theater hostage crisis that in russia people always think "theire is an infinite ammount of people". is that true?

and what are the reasons and what are the solutions to that problem.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The government has already created laws limiting abortion and such, but for now it's probably gonna create more problems than solutions. The only way the birth rate can go up is if the economy recovers to a level where families won't be intimidated by having more than one-two kids.
It's true though, China or any other country for that matter won't be able to take Siberia simply because Russia still has the means to defend it, and China won't be able to cause much damage to Russia even if they use nukes because of the working ABM and SAM-AMD systems deployed across Russia. You'd either need A LOT of warheads, or some sort of advanced maneuvering warhead to really destroy Russian cities. China won't be able to do it, and they know they will be destroyed if they attack Russia.
New Russian military doctrine allows use of nuclear weapons in case Russia is attacked.

What's more troubling is that there are a lot of Chinese immigrants in Russia. Legal and illegal. I don't have anything against them, on the contrary they are welcome, as long as they don't claim their rights to the land. Chinese are welcome to display their culture, speak their language, whatever, but the idea is that they are still living in Russia and as soon as some sort of conflict arises, Russia has the means to end it.

Another [although unlikely] scenario, is that if Russian population drops drastically, like to 50 mln or so, a chunk of Russia might be sold to China, or whomever buys it. But in this case you'll have a small and rich Russia with lots of nukes and weapons, as well as lots of money to build more stuff. Not sure if anyone wants to see that happen.

·
Registered
327 Posts
someOne, you can find in countries Africa wich are 10 times poorer but have the worlds highest birth rates.

I wish that an ukrainan-style revolution comes to china, north korea, russia and all other clan-ruled countries that are devoloping dangerous weapons like this.

·
Banned
387 Posts
sOmeOne said:
The government has already created laws limiting abortion and such, but for now it's probably gonna create more problems than solutions. The only way the birth rate can go up is if the economy recovers to a level where families won't be intimidated by having more than one-two kids.
It's true though, China or any other country for that matter won't be able to take Siberia simply because Russia still has the means to defend it, and China won't be able to cause much damage to Russia even if they use nukes because of the working ABM and SAM-AMD systems deployed across Russia. You'd either need A LOT of warheads, or some sort of advanced maneuvering warhead to really destroy Russian cities. China won't be able to do it, and they know they will be destroyed if they attack Russia.
New Russian military doctrine allows use of nuclear weapons in case Russia is attacked.

What's more troubling is that there are a lot of Chinese immigrants in Russia. Legal and illegal. I don't have anything against them, on the contrary they are welcome, as long as they don't claim their rights to the land. Chinese are welcome to display their culture, speak their language, whatever, but the idea is that they are still living in Russia and as soon as some sort of conflict arises, Russia has the means to end it.

Another [although unlikely] scenario, is that if Russian population drops drastically, like to 50 mln or so, a chunk of Russia might be sold to China, or whomever buys it. But in this case you'll have a small and rich Russia with lots of nukes and weapons, as well as lots of money to build more stuff. Not sure if anyone wants to see that happen.

From what I read, the chinese are more in the border lands of the fareast (where incidently many russians don't immigrate even after russian govt incentives).

Basically they are reclaiming the land that the russians took and forced the border on amur and ussuri olga rivers (the riverx that forms the north and north-western border of China-Russia now and went hot when Russians and chinese fought a brief war over it in the sixties..).

·
Banned
387 Posts
Scotty said:
someOne, you can find in countries Africa wich are 10 times poorer but have the worlds highest birth rates.

I wish that an ukrainan-style revolution comes to china, north korea, russia and all other clan-ruled countries that are devoloping dangerous weapons like this.
WHy do you want a revolution?? :sleepy:

To make these countries more unstable (make it easier for black market to speed up the smuggling of the nukes and weapons?? :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: ).

·
Banned
387 Posts
Russia will really sell???? :D
LOL

Russia is now no. 8 (dropped from no. 7 last year in population as bangladesh overtook it).

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Scotty said:

Russia had enough revolutions. Birth rate in USSR was higher, btw.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Marshal said:
WHy do you want a revolution?? :sleepy:

To make these countries more unstable (make it easier for black market to speed up the smuggling of the nukes and weapons?? :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: ).
I said a peaceful revulotion. So we can get a stable democratic leadership that handle this weapons with responsibility and not devoloping it further.

·
Banned
387 Posts
Scotty said:
Yeah that's for the whole USSR (15 states and else??).

It would be helpful (though doubtful how secret and conspiracy-proon the soviet establishment was..) if there could be a breakdown of the populatoin of russia and other member states!!

But then soviets (russians) haven't really gotten over the fact that their neighbours were forced (not came BY CHOICE) in the totaliaristic soviet union! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
145 million then, means it would be around 150 million now if not for immigration and economic troubles.
But right now the mentality has changed and population is declining, even though Russia is accepting a lot of foreign immigrants.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Marshal said:
But then soviets (russians) haven't really gotten over the fact that their neighbours were forced (not came BY CHOICE) in the totaliaristic soviet union! :eek:hno:
Not initially. People didn't know they created a monster back in 1920s.

·
Banned
387 Posts
I doubt the other SSRs (maybe slavic neighbours??) ever wanted to be part of Russia..

Otherwise USSR should've survived the economic and political problems it had and survived post-91!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
USSR was a Union, Russia was part of it. The idea was that everybody would be equal, and nobody expected to become "part of Russia". There's a reason USSR is called USSR and not RSFSR. But eventually USSR evolved into a dictatorship, and unfortunately the orders were given out from Moscow, and eventually people realised that the communist experiment was not working, so the USSR broke up. Russia wanted to get rid of the communists just as much as Ukraine or any other member.
Not only Slavic countries were part of the USSR.

Just imagine the scale of the change that happened after the 1917 revolution, they even moved the capital from St. Pete to Moscow. Everybody wanted to be part of the new system where everybody would be equal. Most intelligent people, who protested it, were either robbed and thrown to jail or they managed to escape to US. In light of those events, I beleive Russia was also "occupied", by Bolsheviks, because the opposition (elite, and just people the didn't want communism) were eliminated. That is one of the reasons why I beleive people from ex-Soviet states as well as Balts should not bitch at Russia for reparations, because Russia deserves them just as much as everybody else. It just happened to be the biggest of the republics.

Anyway, that's off topic.

1 - 20 of 40806 Posts