SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 1689 Posts

·
THE ONE AND ONLY
334 Posts
The project is not ridiculous, perhaps it seems costly, but not ridiculous. The government is simply trying to revive the city's charm as it was before the 1963 earthquake destroyed the city's character. What followed was a concrete jungle of communist and modernist architecture. The government today is simply trying to neutralize the city's image by reintroducing classical architecture (in some cases exact copies of buildings that existed before the 1963 quake). Also keep in mind that this reintroduction of classical architecture is only being implemented in a very small area (known as "mal ring") within the center core of Skopje, and not throughout the rest of the city. And the revival of domestic national figures in the form of monuments or statues is something normal for a country like Macedonia to experience, gaining independence only recently after centuries of foreign regimes.

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
26,430 Posts
Yes, monuments always play an important role in enhancing a city's appearance. Especially monument to historical characters, they assist in binding a nation.

·
·!¦[· (17:50) ·]¦!
8,159 Posts
^^ Beautiful, thanks for the info. :) I just made a parallel with a building that I've seen hundreds of times and that has stuck in my mind. Was the theater before 1963 located at the same exact spot?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

The building on the right side does not belong there. In front of every theater there must be a wide square. Here the effect of the monumentality is lost. Pity. .
Agree... We were discussing it, but that's it.... the building is constructed, now the works are on the facade and the interior, so there is no place for repairs and changes....

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Except all those huge buildings U/C, Ministry of internal affairs started to rise :cheers:

·
Banned
700 Posts
Finally, a picture of the Ministry of Internal Affairs building. I have been waiting for a progress shot but nobody has posted one on build.mk for too long. Thanks.

It's going to be a very large building by the look of it. And it's going to look beautiful once again, just like all the other buildings in the city square.

And here is a drawing for those who don't know what it will look like.

·
Banned
405 Posts
It's great that they have made this decision, it would be nice if they did something like this in other Ex-Yu Cities such as Sarajevo D:

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Dear Macedonians , I am really suprised with skopje , really nice projects ...Greetings from Zadar !!!
Yeah Skopje is a big construction place especially Skopje 2014 its a truly huge project.
Also other cities in Macedonia are starting to develop but the process is still slow. Skopje has even 40% of the population of Macedonia around 700.000 and I think this trend will stop in the future which will be very good for everyone.

21 - 40 of 1689 Posts