SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I don't believe this city has yet been presented here. So here we go, this is second-oldest city in Ukraine after Kyiv. It's ancient and is also a few hundreds of years younger than Kyiv. It's only like 50km away from Belarusian border.

Byzantine style Church - built in 12th century. Often used in illustrations of different books as characterizing byzantine style.

Another ancient Church built in 1033-1041 One of the best remaining ancient Ukrainian Churches.

This one just slightly older than the one above. Built during 1120-1123

Taras Shevchenko, high relief, free standing sculpture.

Pushkin bust

Beautiful city-centre

Bohdan Hmelnic'kie

Chernihiv defenders

12th century caves. Similar to what is found in Kyiv. These were underground temples and burials.

Now tell me if you can see images, or I'll have to re-upload them imageshack or smth like that.

:eek:kay:

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chernihiv is a northernmost regional capital with population of 305.000

Shostka is not a city, it's a town with a population of only 86.000 I'm surprised you know it, I only remember this name because of famous company based there :)

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nearby Chernihiv, in a village, there is a famous park with a beautiful palace:

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
Does anyone live in that palace? because it looks like it could use a little TLC :(. or are those oler photos and by now it is fixed up?

great pics btw :) :eek:kay:

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know about the palace :)

Here is Chernihiv railway station

·
Registered
572 Posts
Pan_Stanislav said:
Chernihiv is a northernmost regional capital with population of 305.000

Shostka is not a city, it's a town with a population of only 86.000 I'm surprised you know it, I only remember this name because of famous company based there :)
lol, Sarajevo only has 300.000 people in the city area (420k in metro). In our part of Europe a place of 86.000 people is a major city.

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
doc said:
you meant SVEMA ?

Yes about palce. who owned it?
No, I don't know SVEMA. Is that the factory, some kind of kombinat that's located there?

I meant a car-renting company "SHOSTKA".

I don't know who owned the palace before the revolution. But during soviet times it was some kind of pointless storage, you know how it was. But it doesn't look like it has any more important role today. But I am quite fascinated by it. For an entirely unknown palace in a middle of nowhere, it's a very good palace :)

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
L3D3NI said:
lol, Sarajevo only has 300.000 people in the city area (420k in metro). In our part of Europe a place of 86.000 people is a major city.

Haha :) well Ukraine has 37 "cities" of population between 100.000-500.000 and they're still referred to as "towns" or on a good day "a small city"

Also we have 9 cities that are 500.000+ in population

5 cities with over 1.000.000+ population

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some city-pics of Chernihiv

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
3tmk said:
aren't you ashamed? Not to remember your very own thread!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=141751
:rofl:
I have to say the city looks quite interesting, and the palace interests me the most.
is it of a local noblesman, or even better, a Royal Palace?
lol! I really don't remember posting it.. well, I do suffer from amnesia.

I don't know much about this Palace. There are actually quite a number of them through out Ukraine that nobody knows about. Even within Ukraine. They weren't taken care of during USSR and are not taken care of now. I guess with time they will be renovated and put to some use. Museums or something.

Now some pics from my old thread :)

eh mcdonalds :(

The front of the railway station. I wouldn't mind such one to be in Kyiv, along with others, that is.

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:)

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wrong city, lol.. that was CHERNIVCI, this is CHERNIHIV

1 - 20 of 380 Posts