SkyscraperCity banner

18441 - 18460 of 18475 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I woudnt call it a casting disaster. Unni Mukundan and the kid has done a marvelous job

Mammottys dance could have been avoided. Rest of it I felt it was a good movie. It could have been better.

Casting was perfect be it heroines , character artistes etc

I would give a rating 3/5

Was a big disappointment after all the hype around it...Appeared more of a drama in big screen...casting disaster on an otherwise good story...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Kettiyolanente malakha

The movie have some soul in it and touches heart in many scenes. Asif Ali's acting is super. All young people preparing for marriage should see this. The movie is strightly for adults, avoid kids
Agree... Kids can start asking questions seeing the movie but its fine. After all it deals such a subject right 😉

Watched it today @ PVR Lulu and was 90% filled...

·
Registered
751 Posts
I woudnt call it a casting disaster. Unni Mukundan and the kid has done a marvelous job

Mammottys dance could have been avoided. Rest of it I felt it was a good movie. It could have been better.

Casting was perfect be it heroines , character artistes etc

I would give a rating 3/5
I just hated Mammukka's intro bg music...No way matching a big budget movie..

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Saw three women oriented movies. Stand up, Kamala and Prathi Poovan Kozhi.

Kamala and Stand up are a class apart but Prathi Poovan Kozhi was below average .

Prathi Poovan Kozhi is a typical Manju Warrier heroism movie.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Thank you Kochi resident for saving my 200 rupees. I thought of watching 'Mamamankam' in a theatre. I have not entered a theatre for the last ten years.

I thought of the unthinkable just to find out how a historical theme is handled now a days. In the past when I was young, such movies were made in the most crude and ridiculous way. I thought the next generation must have moved far ahead.

But the song sequence put up by Kochi resident in the teaser is powerful enough to make me puke in the theatre. And I would have been given the unpleasant task of cleaning my own vomit. By the theatre owner.

Thank you Kochi resident. If Mammootty is so short of money, let us donate and collect a fund to be handed over to that poor fellow. We should not torture a 70 year old man like this.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
The movie is not that bad as you think it is. There is a history behind it and they have picturised it beautifully.

When you comment that the historical movies are not mad properly we had Vadakan Veera gatha and Pazhasi . So dont generalise everything based on a single dance sequence

Thank you Kochi resident for saving my 200 rupees. I thought of watching 'Mamamankam' in a theatre. I have not entered a theatre for the last ten years.

I thought of the unthinkable just to find out how a historical theme is handled now a days. In the past when I was young, such movies were made in the most crude and ridiculous way. I thought the next generation must have moved far ahead.

But the song sequence put up by Kochi resident in the teaser is powerful enough to make me puke in the theatre. And I would have been given the unpleasant task of cleaning my own vomit. By the theatre owner.

Thank you Kochi resident. If Mammootty is so short of money, let us donate and collect a fund to be handed over to that poor fellow. We should not torture a 70 year old man like this.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
You say 'vadakkan Veera gatha' and 'Pazhassi Raja' are historical movies? I have watched one among these - OVVG. I find nothing historical there. Everything is fantasy. Nothing realistic about it. Not the language of the place. Not the dress. Not the architecture. Not the period. Not the mannerism of the characters. Not the story or the authenticity or historicity of the theme. Not the domesticated animals shown. Not the lighting during night time. Nothing else.

If you think both these movies are fantastic and true to the history, it is your pleasure. I admit tastes vary. That is OK. But do not claim historicity to it. Plainly say it is a fantasy movie.

Even for a fantasy movie, it is hilarious to see young girls young enough to be Mammooty's grand daughters or great grand daughters fantasizing about a 69 year old geriatric person.

But it gives immense hope to me. I am one year younger to Mammootty. Who knows which ever eighteen year old girls are fantasizing about me? Where is my hair dye and botox injections? Take it out my dear wife. I am not for you, a 62 year old rag.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Saw Driving licence. After a series of box office duds as an actor(other than Lucifer) Prithvi has made a grand comeback in an entertainer . It is an out and out entertainer which will never disappoint you.

Suraj has performed equally well.

Rating:- 3.75/5

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
This is for serious viewers of cinema.

I mentioned about teenage girls fantasizing about a 69 year old man. As picturised in our cinemas.

In real life usually the opposite happens. It is always old men fantasizing about young girls.

And this theme has been dealt with in a beautiful and credible way in some of the Hollywood movies and some English novels. But the old men are shown as old men and they never pretend to be and act like young men. And the young girls shown in such relationships are always shown susceptible. Or having some emotional issues.

This relationship is always followed by severe guilt and regret on the part of the old man and devastation on the part of the young girl.

Take for example 'Lolita'. A man who marries a middle aged lady with a thirteen year old daughter, turns infatuated with this step daughter of his who is emotionally unstable.

The rest of the story is the trauma both of them and the mother-wife undergo. The guilt, the trauma and the devastation of their life.

See our films. A 60 year old Mohanlal or a 70 year old Mammootty developes a relationship with a girl young enouugh to be their daughter or grand daughter, go on merrily and in the end win their girls. Without showing any conflict in their minds or the minds of the young girls involved. Which is never seen in our daily life. The simple trick is they pretend to be young through a hair weave or some botox injection. Finished. The job is done.

Similar is the case with the warriors who go on a war expedition in a film like 'Mamankam', where the warrior, his wife and children clearly know it is a suicide mission. There is huge emotional upheaval happening all around. They never show this aspect of human face in our films. Everybody is picturised in the most unnatural ways. The warrior as a hero and his family members who know he is never going to come back waving their hands and saying 'TATA BYE BYE', as if he is going on a picnic. At the most applying a 'tilakam' on his forehead valiantly.

And we celebrate those as great movies. Our directors know nothing about human psychology or human behaviour.

·
Registered
751 Posts
In recent past I cant recollect any movie where Mammooty or Mohanlal plays a love-charecter where a girl loves them and finally gets. of late they have tried to remove romance elemts from their movie.

In Ittimani though honeyrose is the heroine, its been depicted as a normal arranged marriage and not love

Same is the case with mammuka movies too, I think

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I was speaking about the song sequence posted by Kochi resident as a teaser to the film Mamankam.

Where it is shown, Mammootty gyrating his seventy year old hip hilariously and decorating the hairs of young girls with jasmine garlands. This could be a song fantasy sequence or a dream sequence. What ever it may be, it is ridiculous and hilarious.

I said I have not watched the film. But this sequence put me off.

Having said it, I have no objection if anybody enjoys it. It is up to them. All I said is I find it ludicrous personally. Even Kochi resident put a lol emoji on it.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Watched following films with Family 3-4 weeks ago.
1. Helen
2. Andriod kunjappan

Total amount spend is around 2400

Both films are now available on prime video. I feel like cheated. I have decided not go for movie whos media partner is Amazon or Netflix.
This is a serious issue that gonna kill Malayalam Industry. there should be at-least 3 months gap.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Nothing will happen to the industry since the producer is getting good amount through such means. There was a super mega flop movie for which shows were cancelled in multiplexes but the producer made profits through satellite and digital rights.

Distributors of small films may lose money but not big films because they get heavy initials and within three days they will be in safe zone

Watched following films with Family 3-4 weeks ago.
1. Helen
2. Andriod kunjappan

Total amount spend is around 2400

Both films are now available on prime video. I feel like cheated. I have decided not go for movie whos media partner is Amazon or Netflix.
This is a serious issue that gonna kill Malayalam Industry. there should be at-least 3 months gap.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Pullikaran stara has Mammotty marrying Deepthi Sathi who may be younger than his daughter or maybe even DQ.

You are right they have stopped romancing heroines who are young enough to be their daughters except for Nayans who have played Mammottys wife or lover in a couple of movies.

Mohanlal has played a love character in Odiyan where there was a romantic song between 60 plus mohanlal and 40 plus Manju

But its better than before. He has stopped doing Run Baby Run or Laila o laila kind of movies

In recent past I cant recollect any movie where Mammooty or Mohanlal plays a love-charecter where a girl loves them and finally gets. of late they have tried to remove romance elemts from their movie.

In Ittimani though honeyrose is the heroine, its been depicted as a normal arranged marriage and not love

Same is the case with mammuka movies too, I think

·
Registered
116 Posts
Watched Anjaam paathira. an engagging thriller after a long time. Movie kicked of in great style and ended on an emotional note. Nothing new in storyline, but makers managed to package it interestingly. Overall a slick, fast paced thriller and must watch from theatre to experience the terrific BGM, sound effects and cinematography.

18441 - 18460 of 18475 Posts