Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A historic cinema in Liverpool is to be demolished to make way for a discount supermarket.

The Art Deco style former Curzon Cinema in Prescot Road, Old Swan will be knocked down and replaced with a Home Bargains store, after plans were today approved by councillors.

The company said the development would retain 25 existing jobs in the area and create 30 new jobs for local people.

Speaking at a Liverpool Council planning meeting, Tom Warner, from Home Bargains, said the existing building was "substandard".

He said it would not meet modern shop requirements due to its low ceilings and "irregular internal arrangements".

Mr Warner added that refurbishment costs were "prohibitively expensive" and the firm was paying for ongoing emergency repairs to make the building safe.

Architect Brian Ireland, of Glasgow-based Smith Design Associates, said water was leaking into the cinema and brickwork was becoming loose in its upper walls.

He said the new building would be lower than the existing structure and incorporate some of the style of the former cinema.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...urzon-cinema-old-7079331#.U2khIo4GmRs.twitter

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sadly not a surprising development for an area of the city that's had the heart and soul completely ripped out of it in the name of supermarket expansion......surely to God someone in any number of successive councils could have had the foresight and imagination to do something positive for Old Swan with this beautiful building?...instead its gone down the usual spirit-sapping path of being left to rot and ruin in order to justify the (anyname) developers demolition calls........scandalous

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly not a surprising development for an area of the city that's had the heart and soul completely ripped out of it in the name of supermarket expansion......surely to God someone in any number of successive councils could have had the foresight and imagination to do something positive for Old Swan with this beautiful building?...instead its gone down the usual spirit-sapping path of being left to rot and ruin in order to justify the (anyname) developers demolition calls........scandalous

Strange that its not even been grade listed. I'm sure it features in a few English Art Deco books?
Considering I've lived pretty much all my life in Old Swan - would love to get the chance to have a nosy in the above 'unchanged' rooms??

·
Registered
566 Posts
In what way does this new development "incorporate some of the style of the former cinema"? Putting aside the supposed economic merits to the community, this is poor.

One of the things I liked about Old Swan was the massing of the area - the old St Oswald flats, the 60s flats opposite the Curzon, it felt like a much more built-up and vibrant area than surrounding districts. We can only keep our fingers crossed that, if this development is to proceed, it is an economic success for Prescot Road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They argued in the documents that the tiles and the clock are art-deco-ish...
Pretty s**t argument? The mind boggles how they can pull the wool over folks eyes. Art Deco is of an age - particular age - anything else is a pastiche, and judging by those plans, a very substandard pastiche!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Will the last person out of Old Swan please switch out the lights?

Whatever happened the spirit of preservation?

The existing Curzon may not be listed and may not be of great architectural merit but the building replacing it has absolutely no merit whatsoever.

The only saving grace is that it is at least a Liverpool company.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does the Swan still have the mock-Tudor library or has that gone since I left the area in 2004? I used to think it was medieval when I was a kid and that the Lennon's building was ancient. It all seemed so big and imposing back then (1970's). The hustle and bustle of the shops on a Saturday and the cooling red brick entries during the hot summers.

Nostalgia aside, is the round house on St Oswald St the oldest surviving building still?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Does the Swan still have the mock-Tudor library or has that gone since I left the area in 2004? I used to think it was medieval when I was a kid and that the Lennon's building was ancient. It all seemed so big and imposing back then (1970's). The hustle and bustle of the shops on a Saturday and the cooling red brick entries during the hot summers. Nostalgia aside, is the round house on St Oswald St the oldest surviving building still?
The library is still there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Old Swan Curzon cinema

Didn't know where to put this but noticed earlier that ripping out seems to have started and a fence has been put around the site.
Looked like the kind of opportunity an urban explorer might love before demolition with a fence up but some of the shop fronts totally open.
Always wondered exactly how much of the old cinema survives.
Always loved the form of this building and probably the most interesting building in the swan.

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sigh. Another historic building being ripped down for the sake of another pre-fab, cookie cutter retail building. Think this one particularly annoys me because it's so close to home for me. Can't say I'll be surprised if this goes the same way as Kwik Save the other end of the Swan, gets demolished and then lies baron for years.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
well done liverpool
another one bites the dust and with it peoples`memories and all kinds of life experiences to become a discount store whose times will pass away in a few years time becoming the next eyesore

what a shame and thank you for showing us the grandness of this building dotted with such a grand central hall, the former cinema I suppose, which looks perfect for a huge district market split into several levels

the block itself seems to offer enough space for different retailing units facing the street

·
Registered
304 Posts
Having lived by Old Swan for over 20 years now it's absolutely wonderful to see yet another historic building being ripped down. Not sure how well sarcasm conveys over the internet but there we have it. This is probably, certainly by my estimation, the most prominent building in the Swan, being torn down for some two-bit discount store. I suppose the only saving grace is that something concrete is planned to go in its place and it won't be left as baron wasteland like the Kwikky the other end, but still sad to see another pre-fab retail unit in place of a piece of history.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.