SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 1212 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
OK I got another Q.

Whats with Meshki and Sia... they both mean black right? so whats the issue... i get wound up when I say something is sia then someone else says, "areh meshki" and visa versa. So what is one Arabic word? or what? :bash:

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
im sure sia is original persian cuz Afghans say sia (from the song sia tobah tobah you know :p)

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
LoL
Whats up with the Vanak building that was proposed is it going to be build?

1,160 Posts
i already printed it all out...but i love the illustrations so much plus i want it in book form....

theres so many! :S

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Im not a fan of the illustrations... theyre not 'asli' they were added to the Shahnameh in the Saffavid era... the Iranians were depicted as Turks following Turkish traditions and wearing Turkish cloths to please the rulling party

The only illustrations of the Shahnameh that are 'asli' are Ostan Farchians artwork

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
question

Sorry I didn't find a question about Iran thread, so might as well open a new one.

I just have one question, the ancient persian city is called persepolis.

But both "persia" and "polis" are greek words, what is the original farsi name of the place?

·
Banned
13 Posts
virtual said:
Sorry I didn't find a question about Iran thread, so might as well open a new one.

I just have one question, the ancient persian city is called persepolis.

But both "persia" and "polis" are greek words, what is the original farsi name of the place?
the origional is parsa.

Persia is the latinized form of the greek word Persis, which is the hellenized form of the origional persian word Pars.

it should also be noted that iranians always called their country iran and other variations.

medes called iran arianna
Persians called it arya
Sassanid persians called it eron or eron shahr
During ferdowsi's time it was called Iran shahr
and now its just called iran, meaning land of aryans.

persia is just want the west calls iran.

Reactions: Zaz965

·
Banned
13 Posts
virtual said:
Yep, and so what is the name iranians gave to the city of persepolis?
i already answered that, the origional is parsa, but now iranians use both parsa and perspolis to refer to the city.

Reactions: Zaz965

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Iran said:
i already answered that, the origional is parsa, but now iranians use both parsa and perspolis to refer to the city.

Yep, second time I misread one of your posts in one night, time to go to sleep lol

1 - 20 of 1212 Posts