SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
121,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TUI wants to create German rival to Ryanair, Easyjet: report

FRANKFURT, April 28, 2006 (AFP) - TUI, Europe's leading travel and tourism group, is on the look-out for a partner airline with which it could set up a German rival to budget carriers Ryanair and Easyjet, the weekly newsmagazine Der Spiegel said in its latest edition.

TUI officials had held talks with three German low-cost airlines, DBA, Condor and Air Berlin, with a view to merging one of them with TUI's Hapagfly and Hapag-Lloyd Flug carriers, the magazine said in a pre-release of an article to be published on Saturday.

Der Spiegel quoted a TUI spokesman as refusing to comment directly, saying only that "everyone is talking with everyone else in the sector at the moment".

·
Banned
264 Posts
So basically TUI is trying to setup another Thomas Cook in Germany? I thought Thomas Cook was doing quite well.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
What is TUI? I've tried to figure it out but I don't get it. There seems to be alot of different airlines painted in blue with the red TUI logo.

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
What about Air Berlin/Fly NIKI? Or Germanwings? Is there much room for another European Ryanair without killing off the smaller competition like W!zz or flyBE?

·
Rimini expat
408 Posts
Air Berlin is already Germany's second largest carrier and they are floating on the market this week. Who knows, maybe they buy them out.

·
Registered
616 Posts
FM 2258 said:
What is TUI? I've tried to figure it out but I don't get it. There seems to be alot of different airlines painted in blue with the red TUI logo.
it's a german travel company and the biggest in europe (or even in the world??)

·
Banned
264 Posts
Bertez said:
LCC are making airtravel shit........we have lost so many good amentities because of them
That's true! TUI is the world's largest tour operator (at least with it's own airline) as far as I know. Low prices are a good thing, but LCCs are not only costing amenities, but preventing fleet expansion as well. Now if only BA could get some A340s, life would be brilliant :D

·
Global Citizen
4,305 Posts
Bertez said:
LCC are making airtravel shit........we have lost so many good amentities because of them
Who needs amentities if you can fly for maybe 10% of the price of regular airlines. Just bring your own food. And for 1-4 hours you can do without TV's and other similar luxuries. :)

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
Air Berlin is not really a low cost carrier for me. To get the really cheap prices you have to book far in advance. I have the impression that Germanwings is the cheapest german no frills airline, and they are growing. On wednesday I will fly Hamburg-Warsaw with Germanwings. I was lucky to get the 1 Euro-offers (which sums up to 48 Euros incl. return flight, incl. tax and fees).

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
I don't know, I guess if any LCC were to take on the giants, TUI being such a large company would have as big a chance as any. I don't think country of origin matters much within the EU anymore.

·
121,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TUI Sees Svgs Of EUR40M In 2007 From Airline Integration
26 September 2006

FRANKFURT (Dow Jones)--German tourism and shipping company TUI AG Tuesday said it expects cost savings of around EUR40 million in 2007 from the merger of its two airlines, HapagFly and Hapag-Lloyd Express.

TUI in late August had said it would integrate its two German passenger airlines, without providing further details.

TUI Chief Executive Christoph Mueller said he expects 60% of bookings in the new integrated airline to result from single-seat bookings, while 40% should come from tour operators.

The combination of the airlines' schedules provides sustainable growth potential, Mueller said, adding that market coverage will also be increased.

Mueller said a complete sale of the two airlines isn't on the cards.

The two airlines said Tuesday they will operate under one brand after their integration.

A decision on the new name of the integrated airline will be made by the end of October at the latest, according to the airlines.

The two airlines aim to increase their capacity by one quarter by mid-2007 and plan to transport more than 13.5 million passengers in 2007.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I think they've allowed more people with the option of flying. I doubt that 20 years ago you'd find college students hopping around Europe on airplanes. All the amenities might be gone on board but one could argue that alot of amenities have moved to the terminal. If you really want your steak and wine you can usually order one at a restaurant before or after your flight. Flying is still an amazing experience in my opinion and alot of airlines still offer first class if you really want all those amenities on board.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
LCC are no worse then full service airlines in the states, the choice of food is cheaper and wider then on the recent trips I made on United from Chicago to the West Coast, also the planes are much newer and cleaner, the only difference is the lack of a movie but that doesnt really bother me, bring an ipod!

Anyway I also wouldnt count Air Berlin as a LCC they allocate you a seat and serve free food, the drinks are also very cheap, I really like them.

·
517 Posts
I've resurrected this thread and renamed it so all news concerning German low-cost and leisure airlines can be posted here.

And unfortunately we have to begin with bad news: yet another German airline shuts down, this time it's Germania.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...ates-flights-and-files-for-insolvency-455517/

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...tough-conditions-exposed-germanias-fl-455597/

Some opinions are that Germania didn't really know what market it was in: was it low-cost, was it full-service ? Plus, the latest developments with LaudaMotion weren't really helping either.

For now the Swiss subsidiary (Germania Flug) lives on, but I strongly recommend it either rebrands ASAP (to break away from the bad legacy) or also chooses to shut down voluntarily.

·
Premium member
9,950 Posts
^
They were also too small. I read somewhere that in the current market the minimum fleet size is about 100 planes to be profitable (economics of scale). Germania had about 30 planes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts