SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 2506 Posts

·
囧!
10,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
^^
Apart from that winking smiley-face, I see no indication of that.
Finnair is a great low-cost alternative if you want to fly to Asia from northern Europe - I know tons of Swedish people that have used Finnair this way.
Although AY's long-haul product isn't really on par with the bigger players in Europe, "you get what you pay for". This is what I've heard, as I haven't flown Finnair myself. I prefer SAS's direct services from Copenhagen or one of the Asian Star Alliance carriers such as Singapore Airlines, THAI or ANA.

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Finnair is a great low-cost alternative if you want to fly to Asia from northern Europe - I know tons of Swedish people that have used Finnair this way.
Sure. That's because Finnair has its "orient strategy" due to Finland's location.

But when I've booked flights from Helsinki to central european cities, SAS has always been cheaper than Finnair. Always. That's why we have used it so many times.

Although AY's long-haul product isn't really on par with the bigger players in Europe, "you get what you pay for". This is what I've heard, as I haven't flown Finnair myself.
I've flown both, Finnar and SAS. And I have to say that according to my own experiences from those flights, Finnair beats SAS in every sense, except the price level. For example, Finnair has LCD-screens showing weather information, etc. - even in budget class seats.

I'm not praising Finnair here (like DW), cause it certainly isn't the best airline on earth. So, I'm not being biased or patriotic here, but calling Finnair a "low-cost airline" sounds just ignorant. Of course those cheap flights to Asia may be different thing than flights between European capitals.

·
Registered
119 Posts
no, neither would I call Finnair a low cost airline. i´ve travelled with them a couple of times and the service has always been great.

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
I'm sorry for that i tend to be a bit "slow" sometimes, but I have to ask though - Were you sarcastic with that sentence?
no, why should I :)

Sure. That's because Finnair has its "orient strategy" due to Finland's location.

But when I've booked flights from Helsinki to central european cities, SAS has always been cheaper than Finnair. Always. That's why we have used it so many times.
SAS might be cheaper than Finnar when it comes to flights within Europe but we talked about flights to Asia here ;)

I've flown both, Finnar and SAS. And I have to say that according to my own experiences from those flights, Finnair beats SAS in every sense, except the price level. For example, Finnair has LCD-screens showing weather information, etc. - even in budget class seats.

I'm not praising Finnair here (like DW), cause it certainly isn't the best airline on earth. So, I'm not being biased or patriotic here, but calling Finnair a "low-cost airline" sounds just ignorant. Of course those cheap flights to Asia may be different thing than flights between European capitals.
Same here but i cant say I've experienced any bigger differances except that finnair got some old planes. Didn't know finnair had lcd-screens on every seat on their airplanes. Never experienced that on any flights within Europe before :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Same here but i cant say I've experienced any bigger differances except that finnair got some old planes. Didn't know finnair had lcd-screens on every seat on their airplanes. Never experienced that on any flights within Europe before :)
No they don't have lcds in every seat, don't know about that A340 but others don't. Finnair has very new fleet now with no md-80 planes anymore like SAS has lots of. And definitely not low-cost airline in any sence :weird: :lol: !

·
囧!
10,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Jape,
Some corrections:

There's a big difference between long haul and intra-Europe flights. Finnair's intra-Europe product is supposed to be really good (better than SAS for example) whereas their long haul product isn't all that much, except for when it comes to the cheap tickets.

SAS has PTVs in all seats, in all classes on all their long haul aircraft. Also, they are currently refitting all their aircraft with AVOD PTVs (Video on Demand), so that you can choose when the movie will start/end etc.
On the other hand, I don't even think Finnair has PTVs in their MD-11 aircraft, only in their A340 aircraft. Although, I'm not entirely sure of this as I have never flown on AY.

Also don't be putting words in my mouth.
I have never said that Finnair is a "low cost airline" or an LCC - I wrote that Finnair is a great low cost alternative if you want to fly between Northern Europe and Asia, and that's exactly what it is. A great low cost alternative.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Also don't be putting words in my mouth.
I have never said that Finnair is a "low cost airline" or an LCC - I wrote that Finnair is a great low cost alternative if you want to fly between Northern Europe and Asia, and that's exactly what it is. A great low cost alternative.
I agree with this statement. Also I did not spot any LCDs in the backseats when flying back and forth between Europe and Asia with Finnair. Would this keep me from flying with them again? No not as long as their prices are as competitive as they are.

KLM seems very cheap currently and with flights directly to Chengdu they offer an advantage compared to others. I would like to ask if people have any experiences flying with them? (yes I know they are not S&B)

·
Registered
115 Posts
KLM seems very cheap currently and with flights directly to Chengdu they offer an advantage compared to others. I would like to ask if people have any experiences flying with them? (yes I know they are not S&B)
I work at a callcenter, and one of the things we deal with is travel insurance. KLM seems to be the company that loses most bags by far. I strongly recommend handluggage only if you're going thru Schipol.

I havent flown with KLM personally, but i used to work for Air France, and my impression is that KLM's standards are slightly better (i.e. average european standard, and not even close to asian)

·
囧!
10,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Cafo,
I did PVG-AMS-CPH-AMS-PVG this Christmas with KLM, and I can say that it was a pleasant experience. Similar to what I've experienced on the other larger European carriers such as Air France, BA or SAS.
Although, KLM does not have PTVs in their B747s flying to Asia.

SAS is of course the preferred carrier if you're based in the Öresund area considering the direct flights as well as good in-flight service and entertainment.

:)

·
Registered
921 Posts
OK thanks for the info guys. I usually find SAS to be quite a tad more expensive than the other carriers and being able to fly to Chengdu with KLM is interesting if one wants to go to say Tibet/Western China.

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
SAS increases traffic to China. Beijing is the SAS gateway to China

As part of SAS's new China strategy, the aim of which is to rationalize air
traffic and become better at meeting customer needs through such activities as
expanding accessibility to the Chinese market, SAS has chosen to focus on
Beijing from several locations in Scandinavia.

SAS has an extensive route network between Scandinavia and China. SAS will
operate ten flights a week to Beijing Airport and from September 2007 traffic
will be strengthened with additional departures from both Stockholm and
Copenhagen. With Beijing's geographical location, the new airport terminal that
will be completed later in 2007, and SAS extended cooperation with Air China,
Beijing will be an excellent point for transfer. From March 25, 2007, it will be
possible to fly nonstop to China from Stockholm with the launch of the sought
after Stockholm-Beijing direct route.

"Beijing governs much of China's economic and industrial development. We see
that many of our customers often prefer Beijing as their gateway to China. We
want to open all of Scandinavia to China and our future vision is that Beijing
will become SAS's gateway to China, regardless of whether customers fly from
Stockholm, Oslo or Copenhagen and regardless of their final destination," says
Lars Lindgren, CEO Scandinavian Airlines International.

SAS has noted increased demand for connections to Shanghai that are not routed
via Pudong International Airport. The most sought-after destination among SAS
customers today is currently Shanghai's domestic airport. With the aim of
meeting these demands and appealing to a broader market in Scandinavia, SAS has
decided to reorganize its traffic to China and will discontinue flights to
Shanghai's Pudong International Airport from April 8. Instead, SAS can offer
excellent connections to the domestic airport Hong Qiao Airport in Shanghai and
to a range of other important points in China.

"Through our close partnership with Air China, we can offer travelers wishing to
connect to other destinations a unique network of direct flights throughout
China. In addition, this partnership means that customers earn Euro Bonus
points, enjoy a smoother check-in and the availability of connecting flights
that meet their specific needs," says Lars Lindgren, CEO Scandinavian Airlines
International.

SAS will continue operation of the sales office in Shanghai.

Scandinavian Airlines International

·
Registered
282 Posts
This hasn't been mentioned yet I suppose.

Press Release
24 Jan 2007
Finnair launches daily flights to Osaka

Finnair will begin flying between Helsinki and Osaka, Japan daily from the end of May. Finnair's Helsinki-Nagoya return flights will also increase by one when frequencies are upped to four times a week from mid-June.

"Thanks to the additional frequencies, Finnair becomes the third largest western airline operating between Europe and Japan. Next summer Finnair will have two daily flights to Japan, when the current number of weekly flights goes up from 11 to 15 weekly operations," says Finnair VP Network Strategies and Management Petteri Kostermaa.

The airline doubled its Tokyo flights from two to four a week already last December. Finnair is the only airline in northern Europe with routes to all three most important Japanese cities: Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya.

Finnair's long-haul fleet is growing as two new wide-bodied Airbus A340s enter traffic towards the end of spring. Tokyo and Nagoya routes will be operated with the large Airbuses, Boeing MD-11s are used on flights to Osaka.

Finnair Plc
Communications

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rygge Airport Opens

Rygge Airport, a military airport outside Moss, southeast of Oslo will open for civilian traffic this fall. The opening of this airport for civilian traffic have been eagerly anticipated, as it is just as close to Oslo as OSL, in fact, it might actually take a few minutes less to get there by car. Torp Airport are probably shaking in fear, as this looks to be an ideal airport for low-fare airlines.

The first service will be a charter flight to Grand Canaria operated by SAS Subsidiary Spanair.

This means that Oslo now has 3 international airports in its vicinity.

21 - 40 of 2506 Posts