Visiting Georgia

Main international Airports

- Tbilisi (TBL)

- Kutaisi (KUT)

- Batumi (BAT)

Main ports for Ferry

- Batumi

Visa policy

Georgia adopted a new law of on Legal Status of Alien and Stateless Persons that went into effect on 1 September 2014.
All visa exempt nationals are allowed now to stay for a maximum of up to 90 days within 180 days. After this period, citizens who want to continue working in Georgia will have to obtain a visa, for which they will have to leave Georgia, as the visa is issued only in Georgian embassies abroad. Citizens of countries that require visas are issued with visas for a single entry and a 30-day stay. The list of countries whose citizens have the right of visa-free entry to Georgia is no longer provided in the new law, it is determined in the separate ordinance of the Government of Georgia. The extension of visa-free stay is not be possible for holders of ordinary passports. The visa-free list was approved on 26 August 2014.Nationals of the following countries and territories may visit Georgia without a visa

Online visa

In February 2015 Georgia launched an e-VISA portal allowing citizens of countries that are required to obtain a visa to do so online without a visit to the Georgian diplomatic mission or consulate. For the following nationalities it is required to hold a valid Schengen visa or a valid visa from any of the OECD member countries or a valid residence permit of a Schengen or OECD country:

Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Cameroon
Chad
Gabon
Guinea
Iraq
Liberia
Mali
Nigeria
Pakistan
Republic of the Congo
Sierra Leone
Somalia
Sri Lanka
South Sudan

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I will travel to Georgia in May 13th !! Flights booked :)))
Though I will travel alone.

Have 1 question : I know that Svaneti is such a stunning place, but is Kazbegi ( Stepansminda) anywhere closer to the level of Svaneti in terms of beauty ?
For some reasons, location-wise Kazbegi seems more feasible for me because it's not far from Tbilisi. But if Svaneti is really an another level from Kazbegi then I should go there !

·
2,847 Posts
I will travel to Georgia in May 13th !! Flights booked :)))
Though I will travel alone.

Have 1 question : I know that Svaneti is such a stunning place, but is Kazbegi ( Stepansminda) anywhere closer to the level of Svaneti in terms of beauty ?
For some reasons, location-wise Kazbegi seems more feasible for me because it's not far from Tbilisi. But if Svaneti is really an another level from Kazbegi then I should go there !
you must definitely go to Svaneti! you will regret if you don't :)

For some reasons, location-wise Kazbegi seems more feasible for me because it's not far from Tbilisi.
you can fly to Svaneti from Kutaisi or Natakhtari airports.( near Tbilisi ) as I know ticket price includes transfer from city center to Airport
contact and booking here..
VanillaSky.ge

pricing as of 2016

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
^^ flight ticket is super cheap, unbelievable! Allow me to consider it seriously.
Or perhaps I could visit both.

·
Registered
291 Posts
How much time do you have? Kazbegi is just a few hours away from Tbilisi. If you just want to hike up to the church and spend some time around a 2-day one night visit would be just enough if you are time constrained. It would even be possible in 1 day, but that would be a bit of a waste for the entire experience.

Svaneti is definitely a step higher in experience, and I wouldn't know of another place that is easier / faster to reach. The drive from Zugdidi up to Mestia is rewarding (the highway to Zugdidi is mostly boring) but I guess the flight straight to Mestia would do as well for the experience (a small airfield between the mountains in the valley). With clear vision you'd have spectacular viws over the mountains nearby (with some of the famous peaks like Ushba and the Tetnuldi massive)

Mestia is a good base for some day hikes in the area, but if you're in for a bumpy ride Ushguli area is definitely worth the visit.

Good luck!

·
Travelor
23,879 Posts
Hi guys!
I'm thinking about a one week trip with my wife to Georgia 2nd week of September.

My rough plan would be something like this:
https://goo.gl/maps/aXnJwRVQE3A2

Ideally I would rent a car (no sure from where and if a normal or a 4x4).
I also have no idea about the road quality, unfortunately there is no Streetview.

Would you recommend to avoid some roads I selected and use others? I don't have off road driving experience, especially on mountain roads.
How reliable are the Google estimations? It looks like they average to around 50 km/h.

I heard driving in Georgia is hard for Westerners, but I have experience in Romania, Italy, Albania so maybe it wouldn't be such a big issue.

Would you think going by public transportation and taxi would be better?

Are there flights from Mestia Queen Tamar Airport to Kutaisi or Tbilisi? I can't find anything related to that or where to book them...

·
2,847 Posts
Hi guys!
I'm thinking about a one week trip with my wife to Georgia 2nd week of September.

I also have no idea about the road quality, unfortunately there is no Streetview.

Would you recommend to avoid some roads I selected and use others? I don't have off road driving experience, especially on mountain roads.
How reliable are the Google estimations? It looks like they average to around 50 km/h.

I heard driving in Georgia is hard for Westerners, but I have experience in Romania, Italy, Albania so maybe it wouldn't be such a big issue.

Would you think going by public transportation and taxi would be better?

Are there flights from Mestia Queen Tamar Airport to Kutaisi or Tbilisi? I can't find anything related to that or where to book them...

Hi there!

depend on this road,shown on your Google map best choice will be SUV or the most popular 4x4 Mitsubishi Delica minivan.(almost every car rental has one).there is not much offroad on this map.

whole 132km is 4 lane motorway.

Zestaponi - Kutaisi bypass and Samtredia road is mixture of 2 lane super motorway and 4 lane motorway

whole Seaside road to Batumi is in perfect condition.

the only unpaved road is on Goderdzi pass(Mountainious) between Batumi to Akhlatsikhe on your map.

you can use Domestic flights also. Georgian airways flies between Batumi and Tbilisi for 55 EUR. another Company VanillaSky flies from Mestia, Kutaisi,Ambrolauri and Natakhtari airport(near Tbilisi)

VanillaSky - booking

Natakhtari(near Tbilisi) - Mestia costs 65 GEL
Kutaisi - Mestia costs 40 GEL
Natakhtari - Ambrolauri costs 50 GEL

prices are for 1 person for one side.

·
Registered
291 Posts
^^
The road across Goderdzi pass (Batumi -> Akhaltiske) is definitely 4WD recommended, between Khulo and Adigeni.

I did it years ago with an old Scandinavian classic (2WD) and we just managed it. But we had severe stone damage on the suspension, as result of one critical passage.
Since then, the road stil hasn't been renovated, despite plans to do so, except for the part east of Adigeni.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi guys!
Edit: just noticed my answers are a month overdue! :lol: Hope somebody else can use them anyways.

Hi guys!
To give you an idea of the roads/highways from Tbilisi to Batumi, as drawn in your map, here are a few video's I compiled from various drives on this route (all from summer 2015, driving my own EU car)

Samtredia --> Batumi

Zestafoni - Khashuri(opposite direction of your plan)

Gori --> Kaspi (opposite direction)

And a summary of the whole stretch Tbilisi --> (Kutaisi) --> Zugdidi

I don't have recordings of the other parts of your planned route, but I've shown you the worst part of the road between Batumi and Akhaltiskhe.
To go short: until Khulo it is generally fine (sealed asphalt road) - just watch the typical holes etc. From Khulo it starts to turn bad until Adigeni. So, if you are not comfortable to drive mountain roads, then you may need to reconsider this. If you rent a 4WD it should be worth to consider this road..

I have good experiences with cars4rent.ge (used them a few times when I wasn't there with my own car). They also rent out from Kutaisi. Check the filter in the website.

I think you'll be fine if you're used to these countries. :)
Vanilla Sky flies from Natakhtari Airport (north from Tbilisi, near Mtskheta) to Mestia. Turbo prop plane, not sure what they charge, but what I've heard so far it is reasonable. I noticed their new website doesn't look very finished, so I am not sure what is their current business and service status. I drove myself to Mestia.

·
Travelor
23,879 Posts
^^Thanks for the answers :)
Unfortunately it didn't work out with Georgia this year.
Maybe next year :)

(we went to the Faroe Islands in the end)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello, at the second half of september I will spend a week in Georgia. I cant find a lot of info on web, so I have some questions:
1. Is that true that night train Tbilisi - Yerevan and Yerevan - Tbilisi are canceled in september? If it is true, what is the best alternative?
2. Is it possible to go from Batumi to Martvili directly with public transport?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts