Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 867 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is something going to be done with this eyesore? Its such a prominent building on the Sheffield skyline I would have thought SCC would have done something with it by now. ANyone know of anything, apart from the billiardrome (Is that still an option?)

·
E = MC²
5,552 Posts
I have heard privately that the fabric of the building was in a dangerous state right back in the days when it was still a nightclub. I know someone who worked in there at the time and apparently, bits of concrete kept falling off the ceiling because of the damp and metal fixings which held the enormous lighting rig up ( Remember that? ) were rusty, fragile and dangerous. All was kept very quiet at the time..

The thing about the site is that it is such a prominent position, it wouldn't surprise me if the city planners will refusing any permission for anything other than something absolutely unique, which would lift the profile of the city, I mean some mad scheme like a billiardrome or something.

·
Wise fwom your gwave
440 Posts
Dunno, i would LOVE to have a mooch round inside though! It could be the new gatecrasher...

·
E = MC²
5,552 Posts
You have to bear in mind that they have to get up and running very quickly, maybe in a temporary venue or they will loose the clientele completely.

My predicition is that they will take over a large empty building like the Former Mecca Bingo building on Queens road under the Silver Blades Ice Rink.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I have had many a good night out in the Roxy in my time.

Definately an eyesore though. Can't imagine anything other than demolition helping.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would be a task to demolish it, with the car park under it.
Wasn't there a planning application for the car park recently? If so it sounds like Roxy will be with us for some time.......

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I always thought the long term plan was to demolish both the Roxy and the car park but that the task of ripping down such a huge concrete structure was so huge that it has just been left.

·
Wise fwom your gwave
440 Posts
They'd never knock roxy down and build a new nightclub in time. Although it does seem like a good location as it isn't a residential area.
Nah, no need to knock it down. Wang up some acros and some plastic sheeting to catch the rainwater and the loose bits of concrete being shoved out by the expanding, shit rotten rebar. Et voila! Gatecrasher two :)

·
Registered
9,010 Posts
It would be a task to demolish it, with the car park under it.
Wasn't there a planning application for the car park recently? If so it sounds like Roxy will be with us for some time.......
The planning application was to extend the car park into the area currently occupied by the shops facing Flat Street.

·
E = MC²
5,552 Posts
Nah, no need to knock it down. Wang up some acros and some plastic sheeting to catch the rainwater and the loose bits of concrete being shoved out by the expanding, shit rotten rebar. Et voila! Gatecrasher two :)
I take it you don't know anything about the procedures of applying for a license for such a venue then.. :lol:

·
18,104 Posts
the funny thing is that ive grown extremely attatched to the roxy. ive got hundreds of photos of the complex and ive even got a t-shirt with the roxy disco sign printed on it.

i feel kind of nostalgic when i see it. theres something really tragic yet fond about it. its like an old friend really.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Not quite sure about the following, but im sure i saw some trucks outside Roxys delivering fencing earlier today,i ment to double check but i forgot.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I saw this as well but i forgot to post it!

The vans had written on the side something along the line of asbestos removal or insulation and also i saw lots of yellow rolled up padding outside the entrance. Wonder what they are doing?!?

·
18,104 Posts
hmm, maybe something is happening....

if they are re insulating it (doubtful) then it wont be pulled down. and if they are emoving asbestos then it could go either way.

1 - 20 of 867 Posts