SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
come on now, this is ridiculous! why the hell does vancouver have such high gas prices being so close to Alberta.

I say **** the freemarket system, gas and all other forms of energy that are produced in Canada should be sold on the cheap to Canadians first, then the prices jacked up for the international market

·
Registered
318 Posts
How do they put that on the sign? I always wondered what would happen if gas prices went over 99.9 because there is no room for the extra digit.

But seriously. Why are gas prices so high in Vancouver! I don't get it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They added an extra digit to all the signs around Vancouver, I guess you could say it is a sign of the times. I remember when gas prices were considered outrageous at 60 cents a litre, those where the days

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
Yeah BC does have expensive gas for some reason, here is a chart of Ont, BC, and Alberta.

I think the sharp rise for Alberta at the end is a mistake.

·
Registered
695 Posts
DrJoe said:
I think the sharp rise for Alberta at the end is a mistake.
The only mistake is that it's not Alberta or Ontario, but Louisiana. Also, the prices are in U.S dollars measuring U.S gallons.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Man, that is an awesome site.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I hate price discrimination. Gas prices in New Brunswick are averaging about 98cents/litre. Meanwhile, there is the largest Oil Refinery on the eastern seabord of North America sitting 10minutes away from me. WTF?

·
261 Posts
How do they put that on the sign? I always wondered what would happen if gas prices went over 99.9 because there is no room for the extra digit.

They could sell it by the half litre so then the prices on the signs could be knocked down to 50 cents.

It's selling for 85 cents/litre here right now which is about the highest I've ever seen it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
416 said:

But seriously. Why are gas prices so high in Vancouver! I don't get it.
The most obvious solution for those who have not obtained the new digital signs is to simply eliminate the tenth of a cent pricing. Instead of seeing prices like 99.9cents ($0.999) you would see $1.01.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Most of the signs in Vancouver are still the plastic letters that are put up by hand.
So instead of a "9", they have one piece of plastic that has a "10".
So it all still fits on the sign.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Is that gas prices a result of the high taxes imposed by past NDP governments?

Finally, high gas prices which is what is needed in Canada. I don't remember the exact stats but in the past when prices were cheaper, costs of policing, road work, etc. spending at all levels of government barely equalled that of all gas taxes collected. Hence, no deterant to driving. You only hope though that the BC gov't is spending the extra gas tax revenue on public transit.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Vanman said:
come on now, this is ridiculous! why the hell does vancouver have such high gas prices being so close to Alberta.

I say **** the freemarket system, gas and all other forms of energy that are produced in Canada should be sold on the cheap to Canadians first, then the prices jacked up for the international market
No way, man. Let the free market dictate energy/gas prices. People will do nothing to reduce their over-consumption of electricty/oil unless it hits their pocketbooks. We'll have to think green.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Roch5220 said:
You only hope though that the BC gov't is spending the extra gas tax revenue on public transit.
It goes to translink. That's why gas is cheaper east of Langley. The TTC on the other hand only gets the occasional handout.

Same for Montreal, it's more expensive than Quebec City.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Roch5220 said:
Is that gas prices a result of the high taxes imposed by past NDP governments?
The Liberals raised the fuel tax, & it was definitely the right choice to make. How else could they lower income & corporation tax?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for the sign info. I'm not a driver as you can tell.

It doesn't seem that long ago that gas prices were at 49.9. One of my first was jobs was working at an Esso station and people used to bitch (at me for some reason) about the price of gas when it reached say 53.9. HIGHWAY ROBBERY some guy yelled at me. HAHA. Like I have something to do with global crude oil prices prick!

Anyway, cheap fuel = good economy. Look back just before the tech bust. Gas prices were really low and things were rockin'. That bubble burst (prices starting going up) and really, since 2001 seems like our economy has been stagnating.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Vanman said:
I say **** the freemarket system
Communist. ;)

I suspect a bit of a monopoly is being allowed or encouraged to exist (intentionally or unintentionally) by government policies. If not then that's simply the true price of energy. Ccompanies are greedy! If there was money to be made by offering cheaper gas prices, a company would in order to get a better share of the market and incrase their profits.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts