SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The international consortium ASG Power SA said Saturday that it would build a US$1.9 billion (euro1.54 billion) power plant and regasification terminal in southwestern Albania in the next three years to provide power and gas to the region.

The Lugano-based (Switzerland) consortium, made up of the AET Swiss public utility company and other European and U.S. investors, signed a memorandum of understanding with the Albanian government in March, according to the consortium's statement.

The Albanian Parliament was expected to approve the project in June.

The project, to be built in the Fieri district, 100 kilometers (62 miles) southwest of capital Tirana, would consist of an LNG regasification plant with an annual capacity of 10 billion cubic meters and a combined cycle power plant to be constructed in three phases of 400 MW each.

Liquefied natural gas is transported by being cooled and condensed into a liquid form. It is "regasified" at receiving terminals, where it is stored until it can be converted back into a gaseous form and delivered via pipeline to customers.

The project, expected to be completed in 2009, is to provide Albania with all of its power, as well as providing gas and power through international connections to the European grid, turning Albania one of the biggest producers and exporters of gas and power in Europe, the consortium said.

The tiny Balkan country, which has suffered power cuts during post-communist period since 1990, would have the right to purchase gas and power at below market rates in order to meet its domestic energy needs.

A significant portion of the project, in excess of US$600 million (euro487 million) is to be financed by the U.S. Import Export Bank.

ASG Power SA has signed agreements for the LNG regasification, power plant and undersea pipeline construction with the Italian-U.S. joint venture of SAIPEM and Black & Veatch, and also with the German company ABB for all electrical interconnections and high voltage DC line construction, according to the statement.

Power grids linking Albania to Italy and Greece would comply with the European Union technical requirements, allowing for connection to the European grid, according to the statement, which added that "Europe will have access through this connection, to additional inexpensive and renewable energy sources."

Albania was expected to use 2 billion cubic meters of gas for the power plant and other industry, and the remaining 8 billion cubic meters of gas would be transported via an undersea gas transmission pipeline to Italy, the consortium said.

It said the project would stimulate economic development in southern Albania with as many as 3,500 jobs during construction and 300 during operation.

In the next two months there would be completed the project's technical and legal terms would be completed and the approval by the Albanian Parliament of the final contract was expected by June.

Llazar Semini, AP
Chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/3812074.html

Project location:

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
you need to put in the source illir or this thread will be closed

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is probably the most important investment in Albania since the country electrification during the communist times.

PS: Lakerdar thnx, I forgot copying it ;)

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
me rrufsh bolet said:
so is this one of those plants that causes a LOT of pollution
from what i understood it will be a natural gas plant meaning it will have low levels of pollution

·
Banned
55 Posts
i hope so, because if its high pollution its not worth it honeslty....but if it's very low pollution or no pollution then they should definitely do it!

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lakerdar123 said:
from what i understood it will be a natural gas plant meaning it will have low levels of pollution
Exactly, in term of specific pollutents, measured in pounds per billion Btu of energy input, natural gas plants relate in the following way to iol and coal plants:

Carbon Dioxide:
NG: 117,000 O: 164,000 C: 208,000

Carbon Monoxide
NG: 40 O:33 C: 208

Nitrogen Oxides:
NG: 92 O: 448 C: 457

Sulfur Dioxide:
NG: 1 O: 1,122 C: 2,591

Particulates:
NG: 7 O: 84 C: 2,744

Mercury:

NG: 0.000 O: 0.007 C: 0.016

·
Старий М
5,285 Posts
Congrats on major investment! Welcome to the energy exporting club! (ok that was stupid lol :D )

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
well it will take a while for us to start exporting energy in any numbers worth mentioning. i don't think it will start as soon as this investment is finished. probably around 2011 or 2012.

·
Banned
213 Posts
Parku Energjetik në Fier ose Porto Romano
Zëvendësministri i Ekonomisë, Tregtisë dhe Energjetikës, Gjergj Bojaxhi, tha dje, se shteti shqiptar, duke qenë i interesuar për zhvillimin e korridoreve energjetike në vendin tonë ka nënshkruar Memorandumin e Mirëkuptimit me kompaninë "ASG Power". Sipas Bojaxhit, me përjashtim të TEC-it dhe kompanisë "Petrolifera Italo-Albanese", të cilat do të ndërtohen në Vlorë, projektet e tjera të një parku energjetik do të zhvillohen jashtë Vlorës. Ai shtoi se parashikohet të lëvizet parku energjetik nga Vlora drejt Fierit ose Porto Romanos.

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
This is indeed a very important project, however Albania's biggest problem has been lack of political will and determination to do anything, rather then finding strategic investors.

I'm not holding my breath until the Albanian Parlament will approve it and construction will start.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
^^same here. I was even thinking what if they cancel this one. but that would be suicide

·
Banned
33 Posts
This Project will deff. revive Albania! A very good start for us to finally come into economic prosperity in the near future. =)

·
Banned
55 Posts
dude too many power plants what the hell..porto romano, near vlora, idk but im scared of these things..i dont want anything that causes pollution near the water

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If this project goes ahead and the environmental issues are not large, it is also a huge boost for the new goverment. They have also seemed lately to have found funds for many roads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.