1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well deserved!:cheers:

Skyscrapers: the biggest and best
June 14, 2012

1 Bligh St, Sydney - the 28-story elliptical tower has a ventilated skylit atrium, a ventilated glass facade, and a green roof.
A pair of curvaceous towers dubbed the "Marilyn Monroe" and an Australian skyscraper that breathes are among those named as best new tall buildings in the world.

The Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, a group of architects and structural engineers that monitors tall building projects around the world, said there had been a "renaissance" in skyscraper development.

The 28-storey elliptical tower at 1 Bligh St in Sydney was named Best Tall Building Asia and Australasia for offering tenants a breath of nature amid boxy skyscrapers with its ventilated skylit atrium, a ventilated glass facade, and a green roof.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/executive-sty...st-and-best-20120614-20bkd.html#ixzz1xjPvCNPX[/QUOTE]

----------------------
A look at construction over past 2 years

some stats
architects-Ingenhoven/architectus
number of levels-30
height-139m
45,000sqm

floor plan

influenced by a fly

section

original bldgs from 19thC
Dalgety HQ

5 x70s highrise were demolished to make way for 1 Bligh

the first render

HISTORY
demolition nearly done
23/10/2008

excavation
20/11/2008

14/9/2009
fabian

16/01/2010
fabian

11/03/2010

27/05/2010

4/11/2010

2/02/2011

3/04/2011

4/05/2011

16/05/2011

11/06/2011

CSB

13/09/2011

10/11/2011
eastern37

fabian
21/03/2012

pix by out24q
incredible atrium

lift motor room

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
agreed, great building, but would have been better if the finished product wasnt lost amongst its bigger brothers and sisters...

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sometimes skyscrapers arent about height.
its about its construction/shape/design use/technology ect.
not just another typical skyscraper, sets a new standard.ect

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
^^ Yeah, I went in with a mate of mine - she had a DSLR and I just had my iPhone - the seccies let me take pics, but not her.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haters gonna hate :cheers:
Well, it's not exactly tall is it? It's not a matter of being a "hater". It's a great building, but it does not exactly stand out in that location. 139 metres is a bit of a joke. A tower like that should be at least 210 or 220 metres high.

Sydney is going to get left behind, ironic that the so-called "leaders" in NSW don't have the sort of vision the Brisbane City Council seems to have. A "backwater" city ( according to Sydneysiders ) with 2.2 million people in QLD is doing better than "world class" Sydney with it's 4.7 million population.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Well, it's not exactly tall is it? It's not a matter of being a "hater". It's a great building, but it does not exactly stand out in that location. 139 metres is a bit of a joke. A tower like that should be at least 210 or 220 metres high.

Sydney is going to get left behind, ironic that the so-called "leaders" in NSW don't have the sort of vision the Brisbane City Council seems to have. A "backwater" city ( according to Sydneysiders ) with 2.2 million people in QLD is doing better than "world class" Sydney with it's 4.7 million population.
Let's get a few things straight, Mary

1. Your view is incredibly superficial. Height is but one aspect of a skyscraper. This building was acknowledged for the following;

The centerpiece is Australia’s tallest naturally ventilated skylit atrium, trimmed in glass and aluminum, which soars the full height of the building. Other innovations include a double-skin, naturally-ventilated glass façade and a hybrid system using gas and solar energy to generate cooling, heating and electricity for the building.
http://www.archdaily.com/244297/ctbuh-names-best-tall-buildings-for-2012/

In addition a juror's comment from the same link;

“The dramatic, naturally-ventilated central atrium connects the office workers with nature at the inner depths of the plan, giving a sense of openness for the entire building. The series of communal spaces throughout the building, and especially the fantastic rooftop garden, add greatly to the quality of life for the tenants.”
If you take a look at the rest of the CTBUH's list of award winning towers for the year, only 1 is above 200m. And you only have to look at some of Australia's most loved buildings - the Sydney Opera House, Royal Exhibition Building and the Gallery of Modern Art - to know that quality means more than height.

Now with that out of the way;

2. How is Brisbane, in any way, leaving Sydney behind? This is not a cheap swipe at Brisbane - it has come a long way with a fine visual arts scene, a much improved dining scene, arguably the country's most successful pedestrian mall, a brilliant precinct in South Bank and pockets of eclectic inner city suburbs.

From a skyscraper perspective - yes, Brisbane is building some taller towers than Sydney - but what does that prove exactly? Brisbane is largely devoid of its magnificent crop of proposals prior to the onset of the GFC and the ones that have been built aren't exactly soaring above the tallest buildings in Sydney. In fact only Infinity (U/C) and 111+222 (approved) are taller than the current tallest in Sydney - with the latter 27m taller than the tip of the Chifley Tower spire. So it's not like Brisbane is powering ahead with a vast line up of much taller towers. And Sydney's 115 Bathurst Street is likely to reach 259m in height (provided all goes according to plan) - making it taller than anything in either city except for 111+222 (11m taller).

If you argue from a residential density perspective, inner Sydney is much more dense than Brisbane so that point is invalid.

If you argue from an office space perspective - well Brisbane has an even more restricted central core for office development than Sydney...and it has far less commercial space in the planning pipeline than Sydney (which will get 300,000 sq m alone at Barangaroo). So that too doesn't really hold.

How many 100m+ towers does Brisbane have in the pipeline? How many does Brisbane have under construction? Safe to say less than Sydney on both accounts. Whack in current and future buildings over 70m and Sydney leaves Brisbane for dead.

What other cases can be made?

Outside of skyscrapers, Brisbane has made great strides in culture, dining, shopping and nightlife, but I don't think any of those scenes are at or particularly close to Sydney's level.

Brisbane would need sustained growth over decades at a time (and Sydney would need to be flat) if it is to leave Sydney behind.

And in case you don't know my background - born and bred Queenslander, lived in Brisbane for 4 years and have been living in Sydney for 5 months.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Brisbane gets a handful of 200m towers and Sydney's getting left behind? :lol: :lol: You clearly have no idea what's happening in our city

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

as i mentioned. a skyscraper isnt all about height. its how its built. sounds like Brisbane NOT syddny maybe "left behind" in skyscraper construction. Yu have to put things into perspective.

1 bligh won best skyscraper because of how it was built and its floor layout, skin, star rating ect ect. not because of its height.
i would rather 139m and this design then 220m normal typical run of mill tower.
if your talking height. go the the 115bathurst st thread. with planned 260m tower.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Brisbane gets a handful of 200m towers and Sydney's getting left behind? :lol: :lol: You clearly have no idea what's happening in our city
Well, maybe you are just too Sydney-centric. I never said that 1 Bligh St was a rubbish building. I like the design, I think it is excellent. BTW, FYI, I worked in construction for 20 years ( commercial, residential, industrial ) Actually, I like Sydney, apart from the snobby attitude of some people there ( mostly in the eastern suburbs ) However I feel that a "world city" like Sydney should already have some 270 metre+ towers, I have said that in the NSW thread.

Maybe because I have lived in China for quite a while I get used to seeing mega-projects. I know they are not possible in Australia for various reasons, and our cities don't really need them. As for you taking a swipe at Brisbane, the city is punching above it's weight as far as skyscrapers go ( in both height and design ) I get annoyed with people who like like to complain about Brisbane and the GC.

Even the city I live in ( Nanning ) a major centre in south China with 6 million people does not have many 200 metre plus towers , Liyuan Sky Tower the latest tallie here at 218 metres, and it stands out like a sore thumb in it's location.

Maybe you don't know exactly what is going on in QLD either.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
As others have said, its a truly stunning building (with some fab eateries!) but its height does look somewhat odd imo.

Were it double its actual height it would still fit in with its surrounding buildings but look so much better.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts