Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

1 Kemble Street / Space House, London

13269 Views 28 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Fletch73
Completed: 1962
Floors: 18
Height: 52m
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/buildings.php?id=2313

Designed by Richard Seifert who was responsible for most of the decent pre-90's scrapers in London (i.e. Centrepoint, Natwest Tower). Right in the centre of London, but so tucked away that a lot of people aren't aware of it, and it's difficult to get a decent photo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Your poll options were wrong, so I edited them.

How come literally EVERYBODY gets the poll options wrong, EVERY TIME?? Jesus...

Anyway - sorry - don't mean to sound aggressive, but I had to get it off my chest. :)

Nice looking building!
Nice 9/10

Looks like a round version of Centrepoint........or a Honeycomb
Nice, reminds me of a low rise here in Brum on New Street. 8/10
This would look great if it was twice the height. A sort of round Centrepoint tower ,although I would still prefer Centrepoint.7/10
Sorry boss, what did I do wrong? Is it better just to stick to a staright 1-10? I'm new to these polls so I have an excuse. Everyone else should be thoroughly ashamed though ;)
Your poll options were wrong, so I edited them.

How come literally EVERYBODY gets the poll options wrong, EVERY TIME?? Jesus...

Anyway - sorry - don't mean to sound aggressive, but I had to get it off my chest. :)

Nice looking building!
If Centrepoint and the Rotunda had a baby girl, it'd look just like this. Delightful, especially the cantilever. 7/10 - she loses a couple of marks for being a bit podgy.
Nice, reminds me of a low rise here in Brum on New Street. 8/10
Nice Variety compared to the common boxy shapes

8/10
Where exactly is this, how come I've never seen this before? 7/10
^^ i cant quite place it, but i have seen it a few times......i think it pops into views from Hyde Park
Its the Covent Garden side of Holborn, just off the road that connects Holborn with Aldwych ... opposite the LSE buildings probably

It looks nicely sculptural in the sunshine, just it doesnt work in overcast weather (the problem with concrete in this country and why glass and steel will always be better). Ground level it doesnt work either, its quite a tight street network in this area and this building instead of placed in the middle of a square or circle or on the end of a row is plonked along the street edge. Other buildings around here are as guilty but this just adds to the mess.
I've got a bit of a soft spot for this "centre point style" skyscraper and quite like this one. Would be interesting to see what it would look like a bit taller. 8/10
Imagine giving birth to it though with all those points!! :lol:

Absolutely love it!!! One of my favourite modern buildings. For me the height is right - all the detail would be too much for a building much taller.

You can see Brum's Alpha Tower in there too (also a Seifert) :)

9/10
If Centrepoint and the Rotunda had a baby girl, it'd look just like this. Delightful, especially the cantilever. 7/10 - she loses a couple of marks for being a bit podgy.
Awwww what a great lickle big building! It looks so clean and well kept. Reminds me of those two "corn cob" buildings in Chicago - Marina City. 9/10
big fan of this building. pity it was almost halved in height from the original plans. interesting fact is it predates centrepoint.
love it. it's like a hotel that bond would stay at in the 70's era. plus its got the big block outside to skate.
centrepoint should have been the shorter of the two
there are loads of modern designs just like that, clean the concrete up and it could easily pass for 5-10 years old 7/10
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.