Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 315 Posts

·
Rotherowl
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Star reports today

A new four star hotel is to be built opposite Sheffield railway station on the site of the former Hallam Uni students union building.
CTP St James are buying the NMB from Yorkshire Forward.
They have submitted an application for outline planning permission to build a 200 bedroom hotel and 65,000 sq ft of Grade A offices on the site which will be known as 1 Sheaf Square.

They also reported that plans are expected to be subitted soon for the office building which will stand between the station and the multi-storey car park.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
From my earlier post in the City Centre Hotel thread:

From the Sheffield Star (31/05/2007)

http://www.thisissheffield.net/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=58&articleid=2916266

A NEW four-star hotel is to be built opposite Sheffield railway station on the site of the former Sheffield Hallam University Students' Union building.

CTP St James, the developers behind the £130 million St Paul's Place project beside the Peace Gardens, are buying the Nelson Mandela Building from Yorkshire Forward for an undisclosed sum.

They have submitted an application for outline planning permission to build a 200 bedroom hotel and 65,000 sq ft of Grade A offices on the site, which will be known as 1 Sheaf Square.

It is the latest piece of the jigsaw that will become the new Gateway to Sheffield. Earlier this year Sheaf Square was officially reopened after a £50 million transformation that has seen water features, trees, public seating and the 'Cutting Edge' sculpture installed to greet people coming out of the train station.

Work has also begun next to the Transport Interchange on the building that will become the hub of Sheffield's digital industries - the E campus.

It will provide dedicated services, cutting edge technology and flexible facilities for high growth companies in the creative and digital industries.

And plans are expected to be submitted soon for the office building which will stand between the station and the multi-storey car park.

CTP St James director David Topham said of the plans for the new four-star hotel: "This is a tremendously exciting development, situated in the heart of Sheffield City Centre. It is extremely well served by the road network and by public transport and we are confident it will fulfil an increasing demand for high quality offices as well as providing the city with a new high end hotel."

Andy Topley, Director of Regeneration at Creative Sheffield, the city's development company, added: "The Heart of the City development so far has had a huge impact on both the face and fortune of the city centre, providing stunning new public realm and significant economic benefits in terms of investment, higher rental levels and jobs. There is every reason to believe that 1 Sheaf Square will do the same."

King Sturge and Knight Frank have been appointed agents for 1 Sheaf Square.

·
Registered
218 Posts
****, well that's blown the chances of seeing a tower of any sort fronting the station. 65,000 is roughly the same size as St. Paul's block 2 and given the size of land available from the demolition of Sheaf and Dyson we will have to hope that another building will also go on this site. Otherwise it's lowrise city.

Of course, i'm just going on bits and bobs of information but surely there needs to be something more dramatic to greet the visitor as they step off the train. A five storey hotel just won't do it, neither will a max. 6 storey office block. How disappointing. Nice design of the hotel though, just a pity it's not somewhere more appropriate.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
It also says plans are expected to be submitted for the office block to go between the station and car park.

Maybe this will be taller.

·
Registered
218 Posts
OK, maybe i'd confused the original info. Wonky eyes you see.

Still, I'd hoped for a tower on the site of the old NMB.

M

·
18,096 Posts
haha i knew it would only take 1 min before someone made a thread on this :)

like i said on the other thread, the orange part of the building has around 8 stories, so its quite big. i like the look of this whole thing. do we know what its relationship to the square is, it looks a pretty long building..

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I think the new building on the old student's union site should be relatively low rise, to avoid a cramped feeling in the square.. The Sheaf and Dyson sites should house something higher though.

Good to see we are getting a hotel by the station too!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
so where exactly is that building going?

its not where the showroom is, is it?
No, its where the NMB is currently and the land to the right of it. If you stand in front of the station looking towards the city, it will be just to the right and infront of The Howard, going down right towards the road which buses use to enter the station.

·
Registered
766 Posts
:lol: yes thats it, and a lot easier to understand from that than my wordy effort above!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't understand the scale of this building. I didn't think that "NMB" site includes the neighbouring SHU building which Hella has outlined on right side of the photo above, that's separate (it wasn't part of the plot marked out on the Knight Frank site). However, the NMB footprint and the small adjoining lawned area next to it are quite small plots and don't seem large enough to accomodate what's shown on the sketch.

Given that it is a fairly narrow plot, I'd think that they would have to go upwards to accomodate that much sq ft. Anyway, its a hell of a lot more imposing than whats there already and hopefully it will really close that square in and look fantastic from the station :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Here's a larger render of the 1 Sheaf Square, you can just make out the steps next to the Cutting Edge scuplture in the bottom right corner.

·
Registered
744 Posts
i love it. it's about time something with a bit of imagination was built in sheffield.

as for it's length, is there any possibility that it could be built on top of the turfed area at the top of the square steps? it would make quite a nice visual gateway towards howard street with the showroom on the otherside.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Right. So it IS going to be built on top of the grass judging by the steps next to the cutting edge. Not as much site clearance then! Quick start?

Also thats mean a very dense walkway/entrance to Howard st.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The whole area should look very modern and stylish when coming out of the station, specially as the Digital Campus will be visible next to 1 Sheaf Square.

·
Registered
744 Posts
not so sure about a quick start. they'll still have to demolish and clear the NMB before they can do anything.

and skyfitsboy you're right, this area will look amazing when the campus is also done. a far cry from the concrete shambles which faced visitors a couple of years ago!

1 - 20 of 315 Posts