SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Angers, Athens, Ávila, Baghdad, Bautzen, Beijing, Belz, Bratislava, Brussels, Budapest, Damascus, Deventer, Dublin, Gdańsk, Hanoi, Jerusalem, Kazan, Kiev, Kyoto, Lisbon, London, Lüneburg, Mdina, Mönchengladbach, Nicosia, Oslo, Oxford, Paris, Prague, Rome, Salzburg, Sana'a, Shiraz, Tashkent, Tunis, Vienna, Vientiane, Wrocław, Yaroslavl, Yinchuan,...

[ updating at http://www.cities1000.org/forum/ ] :cheers:

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
There are so many cities older than 1000 years in Europe and Asia alone!

However would be good to define a thousand-year old city:
- having been founded at least 1000 years ago?
- having been granted city-rights at least 1000 years ago?
- other references from at least 1000 years ago calling that place a city?
- certain size of the city now and then?

·
Banned
108 Posts
Moscow became a city 850~ years ago, but there was a village thousands of years before. So, can Moscow be considered a 1000 years old city?

·
Banned
929 Posts
and India, and China, and Iran, and the Arab world, etc.
But you have to give Europe a discount - after all, they did bloom eventually (with a boost from past non-European civilizations).

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
that's a long list, maybe 800 cities can be on list.

·
Resurrected
24,358 Posts
You don't want to know how many cities in Switzerland, Germany and France are older that 1000 years! I would say, name the ones that are 3000 years and older ;)

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
My home city is 2025 years old! :) According to the Romans, who founded it... But there was a celtic settlement long before that time.

·
Resurrected
24,358 Posts
Same here :) I was participating at the 2000 years celebration in 1986. But before the Romans it was a settlement since the Bronze Age. Well it was not a "city" by then though :D

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Tel Aviv Yafo 7500 years old

inc. standing structures up to 3500 years old

this are 3,000 years old Israelite,Jewish,Hebrew houses the time of king Solomon in Tel Aviv.

·
Smirk4Life
1,745 Posts
Byblos, Lebanon

Byblos (Jbeil) is believed to have been founded around 5000 BC, and according to fragments attributed to the semi-legendary pre-Trojan war Phoenician historian Sanchuniathon, it was built by Cronus as the first city in Phoenicia.Today it is believed by many to be the oldest continuously-inhabited city in the world.

It is mentioned in the Bible in 1 Kings 5:18, referring to the nationality of the builders of Solomon's Temple, and also in Ezekiel 27:9, refering to the riches of Tyre.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My home city is 2025 years old! :) According to the Romans, who founded it... But there was a celtic settlement long before that time.
Trier is really great and really old. :) I had a chance to visit Roman Amphitheater, Porta ***** and Roman Baths....Very impressive and what really nicely surprised me is how good the people in your home town take care about historical stuff. Ich finde es ganz toll. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Makkah Saudi arabia is most likely 8000+ years old
Actually Mecca is a relatively young city compared to other cities in the Middle East (first mention of Mecca only dates back to 2nd century AD), mostly due to the fact that nomadic tribes who inhabited the Arabian desert at the time never really build cities to the extent of other civilizations (Egyptians, Assyrians, etc).

·
Banned
846 Posts
^ Makkah is not really in the middle of arabian desert, The Hejaz area of western arabia has always had a civilization

I have been to the museum in Makkah and many of the artifacts there were from 6000 BC.

·
Registered
415 Posts
^ Makkah is not really in the middle of arabian desert, The Hejaz area of western arabia has always had a civilization

I have been to the museum in Makkah and many of the artifacts there were from 6000 BC.
Artifacts from 6000 BC do not really tell us anything. The whole of Europe, Asia, and Africa is littered with artifacts from 6000 BC and older. The evidence that would qualify here is either a mention in a old contemporary text or better yet ancient ruins of the city. As far as I know none of these are present in Mecca.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts