SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIFA plans Europe's tallest office for City site
By Jenny Davey

DIFA, the German fund manager, is preparing to submit plans for a London building that would be the tallest office skyscraper in Europe, The Times has learnt.

The group is meeting English Heritage, the historic buildings watchdog, today to discuss proposals for the tower, which is thought to be about 1,000ft (305m) tall.

DIFA has already discussed its plans with Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, and the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment, and is thought to be aiming to submit a formal planning application on about June 20.

Property sources said the tower would be built on a site at 22-24 Bishopsgate and Crosby Court in the City. DIFA has been working up plans for a tower on the site for more than two years. In 2003 the group replaced Helmut Jahn, the Chicago-based architect, with Kohn Pedersen Fox.

The move came after plans ran into trouble when early discussions over Herr Jahn’s 216m proposal faced objections from English Heritage, which was concerned about the impact a tall building would have on the view of St Paul’s Cathedral from Fleet Street. It is unclear how English Heritage will respond to the new plans.

Property sources said that after the initial setbacks in 2003 DIFA was in no rush to develop the tower because of the weak state of the City’s commercial property market.

However, signs emerged last year that it was starting to work up fresh plans after Greycoat, a private property group, was appointed development partner to replace Tishman Speyer, the US developer that was part of the original team.

The DIFA tower is one of a number of skyscrapers proposed for the London skyline. A consortium led by Sellar Property Group has planning permission to build London Bridge Tower, a 310m building.

Minerva has permission for a 217m tower on the City fringe, while next year Heron International plans to start on the 183m Heron Tower on a speculative basis, without tenants lined up.

Despite strong interest from property developers in new schemes, about 14 per cent of existing office space is empty and demand for new space remains comparatively subdued. The property groups are banking on a sharp upturn between 2007 and 2010.

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
Interesting, sounds too good to be true but I hope it gets built. However I'm now much more interested in the fate of LBT. I wasn't really following all the news regarding this project but, afaik, the construction of LBT was supposed to start this year (?).

Yestarday passing Blackfriars bridge I stopped for a second trying to imagine how the skyline would look like - City, Canary Wharf and LBT would be all visible in one shot. I myself can't wait to see all this in reality!

·
Administrator
34,885 Posts
interesting. some sentences from that report are taken almost verbatim from my site. nice to see they are only 2 months late with that!

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
gothicform said:
interesting. some sentences from that report are taken almost verbatim from my site. nice to see they are only 2 months late with that!
this is intersting,too! :hahaha:

·
Registered
511 Posts
wjfox2002 said:
DIFA, the German fund manager, is preparing to submit plans for a London building that would be the tallest office skyscraper in Europe, The Times has learnt.

The group is meeting English Heritage, the historic buildings watchdog, today to discuss proposals for the tower, which is thought to be about 1,000ft (305m) tall.
But isn' the 1,425 feet high Federation Tower in Moscow already under construction? I doubt that DIFA will be fast enough to come first and earn the title.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Oh come on gothic... you only had it on your site because I told you about the story in Estates Gazette! The Times have been leaked the new specific info, they haven't lifted it from ssnews. I'm actually surprised we've managed to keep it secret for so long, and have still managed to keep any images from being leaked... quite an achievement!

When they say Europe, they're excluding Russia. I know this debate has been had many times so I'm not wishing to reopen it, I'm just telling you that when they say Europe's Tallest Building, they mean Europe not including Russia.

·
Super Moderator
11,284 Posts
:eek:
Does this mean another 300m+ for London?
Bloody crap or whatever you guys say on your islands, on top of that the position is perfect within the City's skyline!
Let's only hope they can master the design and London will for sure be ahead of Frankfurt IMO in 2010.
But competition aside, wow again!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Its like world trader center
You thought that was the actual design?! That's just a render Will did to show how tall it will be... the real design is slightly more interesting!

Does this mean another 300m+ for London?
It's only the second... albeit the tallest. It is also one of the most stunning... I think other cities may be very jealous!

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
Indeed, can't wait for the renderings in June or whenever. Britannia is the only one to have seen that design and he's said its quite special....so.... :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts