Floorspace (NIA)

Office: 30,000m²

Retail: 1,500m²

Servicing: 6,000m²

Non-residential institution: 750m²

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Although I am in favour of retaining older buildings and incorporating them into a new development, I find the corner plot being retained much less interesting than the Regency/Georgian row on Commercial Street which would be lost. They even have the original glazing.

·
Registered
22,151 Posts
This is how London is going to end up isn't it. Older Victorian buildings submerged in 21st century slabs on top.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ugh... This will be an UGLY trend if passed. Just look at how they do it in Toronto. They have this mistaken belief that ANY juxtaposition between old and new MUST be beautiful.

No. Just no. :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Although I am in favour of retaining older buildings and incorporating them into a new development, I find the corner plot being retained much less interesting than the Regency/Georgian row on Commercial Street which would be lost. They even have the original glazing.
I find it incredible how easy it seems to be in London for developers to utterly screw up historic streetscapes and buildings. It should be illegal to do so.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Why are they demolishing the nice terrace beside it? It is so sad to see things like this always happening in london. The surrounding area is so ugly and characterless, if the terrace could be restored it would have actually improved the area. The building being maintained is nothing special it just looks good with the other buildings as part of an ensenble. But now it just makes the already shit looking tower look even worse. I just despair of 21st C urban planning

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is any one going to bother to respond to the consultation or just moan here as usual?
I have already sent a comment objecting to this (I urge everyone else to do so).

Clare Richmond,

I am writing to voice my objection to this particular proposal, particularly to demolish the historic buildings along Commercial Street. These buildings are within a conservation area and are of human-scale, which is lacking amongst the new developments being built around Aldgate. Perhaps ask the developer to keep the facade?

I am also objecting with the quality of the new build being proposed above the retained facade on 98-105 Whitechapel High Street. It looks ridiculous and hideous. It reminds me of the ugly facadism that is propping up in Toronto (please visit http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=148938847&postcount=4 for examples). Toronto is a city lacking of any architectural merit and should not be used as an example for planning purposes. I feel that approving this will open the floodgates of ugly facadism that is plaguing that Canadian city.

While I agree that this site is ripe for development, I am hoping that in your wise judgement, you will ask the architect to go back to the drawing board. For such a site, we expect the utmost architectural standards, which I'm sure Foster + Partners can deliver if they try.

·
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales
1,036 Posts
Those Canadian examples look absolutely ridiculous. When it comes to integrating the old with the new no one does it better than London.
Agreed. The plans look a cut above the area. As for the crass pastiche nonsense posted as examples... come on there is no substitute for taste old boy!

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Be surprised if that was listed.

Absolutely do not see the point in retaining it. The better looking block next door is already going.
Maybe because architecture doesn't know how to turn a corner these days. Takes care of that. Also, restoring that building gives the impression that we are dealing with a development that is 'respectful' and 'sensitive' to its surroundings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't actually mind that design but agree they should have looked into incorporating the terrace facade down Commercial Road.

Also, never realised how that corner building could look with the full height arches and the removal of a Mike Ashley emporium - looks quite neat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts