SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Illustrator
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 101m, 23 floor high highrise Sparkasse in Hagen that was built in 1973 was destroyed
in 2004. They made it implode. It was not a beautiful, but I think it is said since there
are no other buildings in Hagen that are close to this buildings height and they could renovate
it. Now I wonder if anyone know why they destroyed it?

The imploding:

Emporis site:
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=129641

This text I copied from Skyscraperpage diagram:

"Imploded on Sunday, March 7th, 2004 at about 10 AM.

From September 29th - October 2nd, 2003 the 18th floor was open for public access from 9 AM - 4 PM

It was the tallest highrise in Europe to be destructed by explosives.

Infos: http://www.pl2-pluralis.de/content/projektnews_spk_hagen.html (in german only)"

·
-
3,506 Posts
Why should they conserve that building, because it' s only tall?

·
28,084 Posts

·
28,084 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
It was the tallest highrise in Europe to be destructed by explosives.
At first I wanted to protest - in 1995 there was imploded enormous 19-floor Soviet military building (receiver "Darjal") in Skrunda, Latvia. Then I loked in .emporis - they say - it was 91 m high "only". Other sources say - it was 117 m high...

·
re re re ra ra ra
4,745 Posts
de flatneuroot said:
Nice imploding but it is a shame that they build a lowrise building where ones the tower stood.
Yeah, true

·
28,084 Posts
how it looked

·
Banned
288 Posts
Another candidate for some explosive action! :guns1:

Name : Steglitzer Kreisel
Height: 119m

The decision about the destruction of this building is expected for this year.

·
Krakus rodowity
5,749 Posts
at night it looked very good!

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is very stupid to destroy those buildings. Unless the building was structurally not sound, then they could have renovated them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nightsky said:
Yeah, it looked good at night like almost all highrises. And not so bad at day either it seems on the last pics, but ugly as hell on the implotion pics.
Well, no wonder it was ugly before demolition. They striped the facade away so that the debris (glass, steel...) would not damage the surroundings. The building looked great before the demolition. I would not expect an International style highrise in a small German town. What a shame to bring it down.

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
24,536 Posts
Why are you all acting like this is the end of the world. The people over there apparently hated it. Highrises aren't that popular in Germany anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts