SkyscraperCity Forum banner
161 - 180 of 2372 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think I would swallow my priciples Bio, if Birmingham were to get a tower of this quality on Colmore Row, I much prefer it to the Commerzbank tower which is a monster of a building, well built but too brutalist.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,690 Posts
The Multiplex Tower is beautiful. It's for the Elephant and Castle area isn't it?

I think we can garantee a high quality building here as I didn't see the name Crosby mentioned in any of the news articles here...

·
Simples
7,010 Posts
Anybody got any pics of I-land then? Haven't been down there in ages. Steel work is up isn't it?

·
14,389 Posts
lol dont know what you guys are thinking but crosby are an amazng company and (until orion) have had nthing but top quality developments... there are FAR worse hous builders out ther to be scared of... i for one would love crosby to stay a loyal client!

ps the armeries got rejected (rightly so) when the planning app was sumbitted, aint hard from crosby since on this one!

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Yeah Woody knew it was rejected just hoping a similar scheme is built.

Stephen I hope no-one does that as its one of the nicest bits in the entire south-side/gay quarter.

Anyway, back to Natwest. I hope the replacement doesnt leave the entrance to the adjoining block on Newhall street and the back of the office as visible as it is at present. I know there needs to be an entrance for deliveries but it looks ghastly exposing the rear of the building.

·
time for a change
795 Posts
theres a few 8-12 floor office buildings around that area of birmingham which are very modern, but built on old buildings as bases. edmund street is the only example i can think of right now..

so in natwest's case, one step further than a reclad - remove the dark bricks from the top , keep half of those concrete windows but give them a new look, and then build a more modern extension on top. Keeping a souvenir of that era of architecture

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,690 Posts
134 Edmund Street is a great looking building.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Didn't know this was another Madin building too. Found this in Pevsner.

The National Westminster Bank development by the John Madin Design Group, 1973-4. The most important Brutalist commercial building in the city, disastrous in context but with its own tremendous integrity. Low banking hall to the corner of Newhall Street, tower behind stepping up from sixteen to twenty-one storeys with horns on top, and originally a five-storey block to Colmore Row.

The first designs of 1964 show influence from Louis Kahn's University of Pittsburgh. The layout as built draws on the Smithsons' Economist development in St James's, London. Rough concrete aggregate and plum coloured Staffordshire bricks: industrial, romantic materials. Canted corners to the banking hall, the original metal doors with an abstract pattern of triangles.

The Colmore Row block re-clad and heightened to eight storeys in 1996-7 by the Seymour Harris Partnership, in an attempt, sponsored by city planners, to recreate the lost streetscape of Colmore Row. Well intentioned, but it makes nonsense of Madin's design.
Not a million miles away from the Economist Building

G

·
Thought it would be reasonably tall, I just hope its a unique design or at least something with a spire to make it a tad more recognisable. Its such a prominant position.

161 - 180 of 2372 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.