SkyscraperCity Forum banner
7221 - 7240 of 11085 Posts

·
Like 'Berg'
7,023 Posts
Ditto, LazyOaf - Perhaps the best vantage point of the city cluster ever! I love how all the buildings and styles sit so comfortably in that shot, and Heron is very dominant in the shot (also 100MS looks fair decent from that distance too) - The Shard residents/guests etc are going to have some superb views, it'll be a wonder if they ever manage to tear themselves out of the building to do anything!

·
BLAND
8,888 Posts
I like very much the Heron Tower. It is a fantastic addition to the City. But, yes, indeed, 1CS remains the King.

My concern is about the future. We expected Leadenhall, Pinnacle, and other skyscrapers (some of us, 20 FS, Beetham, etc.). Leadenhall is dead, at least for a couple of years, 20 FS is on hold, Pinnacle will not start rising about ground level before 2011, at the earliest. And who knows, it can even be put temporarily on hold after foundations are completed, depending on the state of recovery of the office market. What's is left for 2010? The Shard. Maybe RS. Maybe.

When I wrote on this forum a back in 2007 that I expected 3 skyscrapers to be completed in the London central by 2012, I had to cope with the anger of some other forumers, expecting much more. Now the evidence shows I was too optimistic. We will have two skyscrapers, including the Shard, the masterpiece. But this all comes as a bit of disappointment. Our expectations were too high.
No.

You faced a lot of anger because you are so entirely negative but worse than that you had to be banned.

You were banned from this site for taking a bonafide international news report and doctored and altered it to fit your predictions before cutting and pasting it on here, risking legal action against this site Maybe we should go back and have another look?. You have sneeked back, but was spotted straight away and you were accepted because you seemed to be showing some contrition.

Here we are again (surprise surprise)

Why oh why do you have to spend so much time pretending to be some wise all seeing oracle. Can you please just post interesting stories (without tampering with them this time) and stop trying to give us the benefit of your wisdom. It is no more valid than anybody elses and doesnt impress anyone. You are just another forumer I am affraid...a really special forumer has just passed away.

Back to the point. Yes, we were all to optomistic. We should all try and remember how long it has taken to change our attitude toward building tall again in this country.

On the other had the City (ish) skyscraper count has more than doubled over the last 8 years or so. Thats really is positive news (and something I had given up on by about 1998)

What a fanstastic shot Gazkins!

Happy New Year :)

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
That pic almost makes Plantation Place look acceptable. Looks like 51 Lime St is rising out of it. Great pic BTW - Shame the Minerva tower is not growing to the right :(

BTW-Since 2007 2x Landmark towers & 2x Pan P towers (with two of some of the tallest resi towers in the UK) & an almost fully formed Heron (Tallest in the city) & Strata tower (tallest tower in South London) have been built. I suppose they don't count being so insignificant.

There's over 1,000 days until the end of 2012& LBT, RS Pinnacle, 20FC,122LH have all progressed to basement level with plenty of schemes with planning permission. I dunno maybe some people can't see the wood for the trees.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'd recommend gazkins picture be used for the 'City of London' article on wikipedia, it really is a smasher. Plus the other one is pretty out of date now!
I agree, that is seriously the best photo of the city i've ever seen, it captures all the different styles, and the hotchpotch nature of the skyline, and plus the weather is great (well the sun anyway, was probably bleeding cold!) and brings the best out of the picture.

·
Just hanging around...
2,949 Posts
I'll do it just now, and will give you credit for it. :)

Done. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London
I gave you credit on the file page - ie. click on the image and it's in the Info box.

Now just got to get one for the actual London page, the picture there is WAY out of date, the Stock Exchange Tower hasn't even been reclad yet. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Just hanging around...
2,949 Posts
Well, stuff them, I'll just change it back. :)

EDIT: Oh, it's still there? That's fine then.
But I have to change that one on the main London page, it's so out of date! :eek:hno:

7221 - 7240 of 11085 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.