SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't think this has a thread but even though it isn't too highrise it's nice infill and across the railway line from BCU campus and next to canal.

Application number
C/05191/06/FUL
Date application received
15/08/2006
Date application registered
16/05/2008
Status
Report In Draft
15 Andover Street, City, Birmingham, B5 5RG
Proposal
Erection of 6/7 storey building for mixed use to include 83 residential units, 690 sqm of commercial floorspace, access and parking. (Use Classes - A1 shops, A2 financial and professional services, A3 restaurant and cafes, B1 business, C3 dwellinghouses and D1 non residential institutions)
Applicant name and address
Concept Development Solutions
Concept House
14 The Courtyard
Gorsey Lane
Coleshill
B46 1JA

Agent name and address
McBains Cooper
3rd Floor, Seacourt Tower
West Way
Botley
Oxford
OX2 0JJ

Council decision
Under consideration

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Looks nice, and liking the different uses. Thanks for the info feltip.

Is this is the former 'blast zone' from that chemical place that has been downgraded?

This reminds me of an art-deco-like proposal a year or two back that disappeared without trace. Wonder whether this is it revived?

·
Registered
561 Posts

I love this view. Keen on all of it but that view in particular. That section reminds me of Masshouse, but much better IMO because it addresses my only criticism with the current Masshouse blocks, not enough glass.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Aah, I found a picture of that a long time ago (the artwork). The fingers stick out and join in the middle. I dismissed the picture as I thought it was an old proposal.

This is good though. Looks slightly run of the mill but the shape makes up for it.

Some photos of the site and area:

Here's the picture I was on about as well:

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Thanks for all the information . I like it ; I like the curves , the glass , the ground floor , and the top floor . It appears to use the space well too . Thumbs up .:)

·
Proud European
6,473 Posts
This looks really good.

One concern. If we're building flats next to Proof House does that mean the Nimby attitude that has been coming out elsewhere in Digbeth and across town will be a threat to it.

They still fire guns to test them there, and lets face it, it's not going to be quiet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The area looks better now in Erebus 2nd photo than it does in the pictures of the new development. You could make low density housing out of and alongside the current buildings. Unfortunately we get this instead and it is totally out of character for the area. As we get more of these huge grey clad slabs along the side of the canal we will be in danger of losing the soul of Digbeth. The whole point is it is small scale warehouses, grain and grunge. Replace it with this and you could be anywhere.

I thought there was a conservation area around here?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Digbeth should be helped to develop in the same way places like Tribeca in New York, reuse old industrial buildings for loft apartments, encourage young people and creatives etc to move in, rejuvenate the area, then becomes desirable. Incentives should be offered to turn old buildings into accommodation. They should be true to the spirit of the conservation area. That was also the view of Parkinson wasnt it. I dont understand how this building fits in with his vision or with the Council's own planning documents

This is the kind of thing from NYC

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
great, but most of this part of digbeth consists of low rise (1 - 2 storys) factory units (heath mill lane for instance), I agree there are several buildings, Typhoo Factory, Meriden House and lots of small scale Victorian buildings in serious need of rescue, but comparing this area to tribeca is pointless, those New York buildings lend themselves to residential buildings, alot of Digbeth does not..hence sensitive new build along side good restoration should be the way forward

alot is happening here with eastside project space, vivid, ikon, screen westmids, lots of converted factory spaces ie custard factory etc

so the right kind of residential new build should be welcomed, although I don't think its in danger of being carpeted in identikit residential schemes, there sthe rest of the city centre for that ;), don't panic

·
Registered
437 Posts
great, but most of this part of digbeth consists of low rise (1 - 2 storys) factory units (heath mill lane for instance), I agree there are several buildings, Typhoo Factory, Meriden House and lots of small scale Victorian buildings in serious need of rescue, but comparing this area to tribeca is pointless, those New York buildings lend themselves to residential buildings, alot of Digbeth does not..hence sensitive new build along side good restoration should be the way forward

alot is happening here with eastside project space, vivid, ikon, screen westmids, lots of converted factory spaces ie custard factory etc

so the right kind of residential new build should be welcomed, although I don't think its in danger of being carpeted in identikit residential schemes, there sthe rest of the city centre for that ;), don't panic
Im with you on lots of this. Re: Tribeca its more about the way it regenerated and the vibe that I think is a lesson. Dont know about you but I think the proposed build isnt that sensitive. Its going to be interesting to see how the area develops - the market will dictate more of the kind of stuff we see proposed here; so the city planners are going to need to show some vision to prevent it becoming the norm.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
yes Joe, I agree, keeping the grit and bold new build would be good....not just rendered apartment blocks...and very mixed use

I think the Custard Factory and Bond developments show the way forward here

who knows, maybe we will get the 'Tea Factory' one day

1 - 20 of 49 Posts