SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
born again cyclist
3,659 Posts
very nice.

milwaukee is on one hell of a roll lately!

if all of these proposed and rumored projects pop, the milwaukee skyline is gonna be entirely transformed.

Reactions: RN_NM

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Seems a lot taller than 23 stories! Wonder if it is 23 stories of apartments on top of seven stories of parking. Tried counting from the rendering but hard to tell what is at ground level.

·
3,705 Posts
Seems a lot taller than 23 stories! Wonder if it is 23 stories of apartments on top of seven stories of parking. Tried counting from the rendering but hard to tell what is at ground level.
From what I read, the apartments would start on floor 5 with 3 levels of parking underground and 4 above.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Newb
76 Posts
This is really exciting. I like the look of this tower, and hope they keep that orange block!

I'm also glad that they aren't just demolishing the Goll house. Its a really beautiful older building.

·
Registered
222 Posts
New proposals are always exciting ... but I will not be holding my breath waiting for this one to start. I hope it does go forward, but I think many serious challenges lie ahead, not the least of which is NIMBYism from neighbors.

I think this is a good looking and fun proposal, and a good compliment to other recent high rises along Prospect. There is a lot going on here, when taken as a whole, but not too busy/chaotic. It kinda presents a different face to each elevation, without feeling like it is overwhelming you with a thousand things at once. Nice balance somewhere between monotony and visual chaos. The orange is bold ...I only worry that it may prove to be too trendy, and look quickly dated (but I tend to be hyper conservative with color.)

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,215 Posts
New proposals are always exciting ... but I will not be holding my breath waiting for this one to start. I hope it does go forward, but I think many serious challenges lie ahead, not the least of which is NIMBYism from neighbors.

I think this is a good looking and fun proposal, and a good compliment to other recent high rises along Prospect. There is a lot going on here, when taken as a whole, but not too busy/chaotic. It kinda presents a different face to each elevation, without feeling like it is overwhelming you with a thousand things at once. Nice balance somewhere between monotony and visual chaos. The orange is bold ...I only worry that it may prove to be too trendy, and look quickly dated (but I tend to be hyper conservative with color.)
The good thing is at the neighborhood meeting for the 13 story Farwell proposal, there were a vast majority of the attendees who loved it, want the increased density, and several outright mentioned they want to see more high rises for the East Side, and many taller than 13 stories. I'm sure some condo owners at 1522 Prospect might be peeved, but in the end I think the overall opinion from the neighborhood will be a positive one.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
If it can get through the historical preservation part of the approval process I think it's a go. That will be the hard part. If it goes through I imagine it wouldn't have too hard a time on the common council outside of maybe Bauman who was skeptical about it in July. (What isn't he skeptical of these days).

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

Isn't this the same lot that the Transera was proposed? I see this failing just like the Transera did, and for much of the same reasons. And while I wont denouce this design, as I see it pointless, I do think the Transera was a much better design for that site.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
It's weird how little this matters to me.

Ho Hum, another high rise apartment building along Prospect.

I guess until the entire street is lined with similar buildings it will just blend into the rest. If it were downtown it would be more important. Maybe it's because there are so many more holes in downtown that need to be filled. On Prospect it all just looks the same, but downtown is so much more deep, textured.

Weird.

Somehow, the river matters more and it is pretty much limited to 4-6 stories. But seeing the river get built out is so much more satisfying than seeing Prospect or Farwell do the same. I guess it comes down to expectations. You know Prospect will get the buildings, but until ten or fifteen years ago I never really thought there would be all this construction along the river and now it's nearly complete.

That's progress!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Isn't this the same lot that the Transera was proposed? I see this failing just like the Transera did, and for much of the same reasons. And while I wont denouce this design, as I see it pointless, I do think the Transera was a much better design for that site.
That one failed due to lack of funding for it. If this one fails it'll be for different reasons. Aka Bauman might not support a building that's "fatter than was approved before". -_-

·
Registered
17 Posts
mbradleyc you read my mind...

While I like the design and buildup on Prospect, I agree that it'll blend into the surroundings like all the other buildings along that stretch.

From a pure aesthetic point of view, I like the color scheme as it certainly makes the building stand out amongst the crowd. Plus the height is fairly substantial for that location.

Could you imagine if at least half of those buildings along Prospect were built in the core of downtown, along the river, or the Third Ward? Talk about solid infil.....

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's weird how little this matters to me.

Ho Hum, another high rise apartment building along Prospect.

I guess until the entire street is lined with similar buildings it will just blend into the rest. If it were downtown it would be more important. Maybe it's because there are so many more holes in downtown that need to be filled. On Prospect it all just looks the same, but downtown is so much more deep, textured.

Weird.

Somehow, the river matters more and it is pretty much limited to 4-6 stories. But seeing the river get built out is so much more satisfying than seeing Prospect or Farwell do the same. I guess it comes down to expectations. You know Prospect will get the buildings, but until ten or fifteen years ago I never really thought there would be all this construction along the river and now it's nearly complete.

That's progress!
Yeah, I guess that's the feeling I was going after in my post in the main development thread. I'm just not very excited about this one. Why does it have to be here?

As for NIMBYism, I have a few friends who live in that area, and they're already pissed -- and they supported the new development on Farwell. It's different on Prospect, this will seriously mess with the panoramic views of the lake and downtown from buildings around it, and people pay premium prices for those views.

We'll see. I think this will be held up for awhile at least. The NIMBYs are going to fight this, and it's political season. If neighbors make a big enough stink, this will wait until after local elections.

Overall...meh at best.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yeah, I guess that's the feeling I was going after in my post in the main development thread. I'm just not very excited about this one. Why does it have to be here?

As for NIMBYism, I have a few friends who live in that area, and they're already pissed -- and they supported the new development on Farwell. It's different on Prospect, this will seriously mess with the panoramic views of the lake and downtown from buildings around it, and people pay premium prices for those views.

We'll see. I think this will be held up for awhile at least. The NIMBYs are going to fight this, and it's political season. If neighbors make a big enough stink, this will wait until after local elections.

Overall...meh at best.
They should delay it until after election season. NIMBY's should be slapped down hard. They live in a dense area that can be denser. This is a city, they should really have no say what's build next to them, especially when their precious buildings and views blocked someone else's in the past and we know they don't care about that in any way.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I mean, that's a nice ideal, but as we see in cities like Chicago, NIMBYs very frequently have their way, at least in significantly reducing the height of proposed buildings. I'm not going to say I hope I'm proved wrong because I honestly don't like the look of this building at all. But I very well could be wrong. I just think you guys are being way too over-optimistic.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I mean, that's a nice ideal, but as we see in cities like Chicago, NIMBYs very frequently have their way, at least in significantly reducing the height of proposed buildings. I'm not going to say I hope I'm proved wrong because I honestly don't like the look of this building at all. But I very well could be wrong. I just think you guys are being way too over-optimistic.
I think the biggest hurdle is the historic preservation part. If it makes it through that and the Goll Mansion is moved I don't think Bauman and Kovac will stand in the way.

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,215 Posts
Not sure that it'll blend in as much as people think. This building is 90-100 feet higher than 1522 Prospect next door to the south, and 140-150 feet higher than the Harborside Apartments two properties to the north. The property next door to the north is only 9 stories, so I'm not sure if this is going to seem that tightly packed in from most vantages.

I do like that the project would bring the mansion closer to the street. It's a gorgeous building and should be more predominant on Prospect.

Except for 1522 on the Lake, the area between Odgen and Brady near Prospect/Farwell hasn't had a new high rise since Landmark on the Lake was completed in 1989. 1989!!!!!!! I like what this project brings.

Some of the north and NE facing condos in 1522 are going to have some of their lake views taken away. But they will still have good views, and it's not like this is anything close to what happened with Kilbourn Tower and the University Club Tower.

1 - 20 of 380 Posts