Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this needs its own thread as the following report shows it is in fact 7 levels overall. Have moved some earlier postings to this thread.

Here is the text of a Hobart mercury report from today about the project.

HOBART'S CBD is about to gain a new seven-storey apartment block as developers shift their focus from the suburbs to the city centre.

The $18 million building in Bathurst St will incorporate 40 one and two-bedroom apartments.

Construction is under way on the building, the largest planned for the CBD in several years.

Justin Wilson, of PRDnationwide, which is handling sales for the developer Lanco, said city living was increasing in popularity because of affordability and a shortage of land and transport infrastructure.

"Demographic shifts are also at play, from younger people who want to live close to work with the city at their doorstep and the empty-nester baby boomers looking to downsize and have easy access to services," Mr Wilson said.

"As environmental awareness grows, CBD living also allows residents to reduce their carbon footprint because they can walk to everything, there is less heating and maintenance required and you've got transport and other infrastructure already in place."

Low maintenance, garage parking and safety and security were key factors driving demand, he said.

Mr Wilson said the revamp of the city centre, including Parliament Square, the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hotel on Collins, 100 Melville offices and Hadleys Hotel, made CBD living more attractive.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some old photos of the site...

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plus a render of the beast...

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few photos from Friday. Hazell Bros are doing a good job. This build is progressing quite quickly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
G'Day,

I am considering buying a managed investment property in Hobart and noticed 166 Bathurst , but it does not appear to be a managed investment property like Lanco's others.

I did notice though that this thread is headed 7 stories, but if the Council had it's way in the end (http://www.supremecourt.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0006/107394/J104-2008.rtf), it is really only 4 stories above ground.

Gazza

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G'Day,

I am considering buying a managed investment property in Hobart and noticed 166 Bathurst , but it does not appear to be a managed investment property like Lanco's others.

Gazza
I thought I read somewhere that some or all of the apartments on offer can be leased back to The Mercure next door with a guaranteed return but that may have changed. No doubt the agents can provide you with some details. PRD nationwide.

A chunk of Bathurst Street was closed on Saturday for concrete panel lifting and installation. Hazells are really cracking on with this one.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should be great once its build, nice additon to the skyline :)

Curious will Hobart ever see 80m+ buildings?
^^ The current height limit in the Hobart CBD is 42 metres. Cannot recall when the last time one was built which managed to get through the Council even at that height so I don't think I will see an 80 metre+ building in my lifetime. :eek:hno: Stll no 20 plus storey buildings being allowed means demand will create lots of 6-8 storey ones packed in creating density and that won't hurt.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Why is the restriction at 42m ?

For sure density in the city of Hobart :) and with Mt Wellington in the background look awesome.

Was in Hobart about 2mth ago and its a beautiful little city.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why is the restriction at 42m ?

For sure density in the city of Hobart :) and with Mt Wellington in the background look awesome.

Was in Hobart about 2mth ago and its a beautiful little city.
^^Not sure why the 42 metre limit was put in place. No doubt some planner thought it was a good idea at the time. Can't see it ever being changed.

The Riverlea development at 145 Liverpool Street is 41.95 metres (but due to the rise of the ground in that area its true height will be 50 metres) but although it was approved in 2008 no sign of anything happening. So I will stick with my opinion that Hobart won't see any buildings around 40 metres plus again.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A bit more work since last time. Almost up to ground level now.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another up-date. Concrete pour underway....

The pour from ground level.

What looks like will eventually be the basement car park entrance.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hazell Bros still working away. Although a long way from completion this building is already adding some density to this part of the city.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the render of this development, actually looks cool, hopefully it actually turns out like its picture
Thats because a mainland developer and financier are building it - but it still got a rough passage through the Hobart City Council and had to be appealed to the planning tribunal!!!:eek:hno:

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This building is still growing, but it must be close to its planned height now. Just the set back roof level apartment level to go, I think. Hazell Bros are very fast and efficient builders. :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
thanks for the great update op1. it's good to see this end of town getting some development action what with this site and the one on the corner of liverpool/barrack streets

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A bit more progress from last week.

Looks like Hazells are reasonably close to finishing the structural work and have started on the fit out. Given there are 40 apartments in the complex, it will be 4-5 months yet before we start to see the first residents moving in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts