SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Design review is out for the 400' version of this tower. Most early renderings look like they just took the 240' version, and stretched it 16 stories. Included are a number of renderings of the 2nd ave corridor with the new 1st and Stewart hotel, 2nd and Pike tower, and the 2nd and virginia towers included. 4 projects I am excited to see get built.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/GroupMeetings/DRProposal3008980AgendaID2397.pdf

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Hm, I kind of liked it when it was shorter but oh well.
Maybe they could make it like 330 so it doesn't look like a long row of 400 footers.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm quite fond of the idea of a long row of 400'-ers. I like the incessant, dramatic verticality.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The floorplates are too large on all three of those, creating a wall of buildings along second. I think the new code mandates 10,800 max average. Assuming that's correct, the standard may have to be revisited.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I still like it. It would look fantastic if those three were built. Along with Heron/Pagoda that area would look good.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I think it looks great. I like the newer design. better roof line and taller! I like the taller feel and its ok that all three are close to the same height. There just needs to be more fill between them and Heron tower. One this area fills in it will all fit together.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The floorplates are too large on all three of those, creating a wall of buildings along second. I think the new code mandates 10,800 max average. Assuming that's correct, the standard may have to be revisited.
Perhaps I just shun sunlight.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
Officially dusted off!

October 28, 2011

Goodman/Urban Partners to build 249 apartments at 1915 Second
By MARC STILES
Journal Staff Reporter

Goodman Real Estate and Urban Partners plan to start construction of a 24-story apartment tower near Pike Place Market during the first quarter of next year.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I know this is heresy on this forum, but I'm glad they're going with the shorter version. The triplet 400' towers looked a little ridiculous. And I can only imagine the complaints about 'views' from each tower.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
^^Oh, and yes, hopefully they start dusting off plans for the Hotel on 1st and Stewart, and the 2nd and Virginia Twins soon enough too....

... And something for the parking lot that was going to be Hotel 1, 5th and Columbia, the Civic Center tower, 5th and Madison, etc etc :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've always liked 1915 second in short form, too.

There's something to be said for comparatively short and stocky high-rises -- the filled in part of Belltown near the sculpture park is as close as Seattle gets to something like West End or Park Ave in NYC, where the canyon of 12-16 story buildings extends for 30-40 blocks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've always been a fan of the Cedar or Douglas Fir or whatever the name of the tree on the rooftop is. Tall, mid-block infill with good design, replacing old crappy building and sparing some of the more significant neighbors... love it. We need more of that; 2nd Ave already has some blocks with this cool mix that's common in NYC or Chicago.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yay! I love that building design even I don't mind taller version, you guys know that I always like anything taller. I really hope 2nd and Virginia twin towers will start soon too.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
With 2nd and Pike and now this we know at least two really big projects will happen on 2nd this upcoming year. Hopefully its the beginning of the next boom!

41 - 60 of 320 Posts