Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I'm glad you plodded through them because they were so interesting to look and I'd certainly have alot of fun doing a "Then & Now" photoshoot.

I'm amazed at how suburban South Brisbane looked at that time and yet you could be just minutes walk or drive to a busy downtown Brisbane.

Expo or no Expo, redevelopment and renewal of the area was going to happen no matter what.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Wow, the area felt like a small town out west (Roma?) and not like an area next to a CBD. Also the Ship Inn looked like it was about to fall down with no assistance whatsoever. Surprised/happy they kept it with the expo redevelopment.

·
Premium Member
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I went to school near here in the early/mid 80's so it was a bit of time trip to see all these old pictures of how it was back then. If you look at older pictures of Brisbane, up until the early 70's there will still wharves and warehouses up to the rivers edge. But they were removed and it became a grassy strip from Stanley St to the River. They used to have the Warana festivals down there (which I guess became what we call Riverfire, but without the city parade and rides at South Brisbane).

Seeing the old pictures, and it was a pretty run down in what had once been a busy port area, they did a great job of first getting Expo 88 to revitalise it, and making the wonderful Southbank that is so popular today.

I love that this picture has an Ascot Cab in it, when I was a kid there was Yellow, Black and White, Blue and White and Ascot (green) cabs in Brisbane.

This was the cover of the White Pages in 1984

Edit, one of the pictures above listed as 1985, showing what looks like demolitions to make way way for Expo could actually be earlier, because I've been looking some more and found other similar pictures listed as 1974 such as this one.

(note Captain Cook Bridge u/c)

Plus a view of the area looking from the riverback, listed also as 1974

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Nuts - I can barely identify any of the spots those photos were taken from. I'ts sad to see some of the individual buildings that have disappeared, but obviously the area has improved considerably and is all the better for the transformation

·
I said love, I said pet
1,715 Posts
Great thread. Looks frighteningly like the streets just back from Fremantle Harbour look today (Queen Victoria St, Elder Place, Beach St) - a complete hotchpotch of different uses with a falling down pub or two.

·
Registered
123 Posts
that's the mirror image of what a lot of areas adjacent downtowns in the u.s are like to this day. desolate, dilapidated and very non-urban like.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Hard to believe this is the same area today. Easily the best urban renewal outcome in Australia.

·
Optimist
7,414 Posts
I hope Brisbane can do it again for the Queens Wharf Precinct!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I remember that area well from when I was at St Laurence's in 1985. I went into that old library several times, it was actually pretty stupid to go in there at the time, friggin dangerous!

Those pics brought back a flood of memories for me. Of course it heaps better now, even is South Bank is overdeveloped ( IMO ) It was a gritty area in 1984/1985, but it was never gonna stay that way.

A few local students used to change their clothes after class and hang out at that hotel that used to be near the Mater also , Castle I think it was called, can't even remember now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also, thanks fellas for posting the great pics. BTW, I think those blue lines on the road in Stanley street where leftovers from the 1982 Commonwealth Games marathon.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
They would be and going by the Olympic marathon route in Sydney back in 2000, they were still on city streets well into the decade. Even in the late 2000's markings were still visible on Macquarie Street for instance.

Interestingly in some of the shots of Grey Street with the same markers, the council painted lane markings right over them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Jesus, how incredibly rough did that area look in the '70s and '80s?! WHAT a transformation!

They would be and going by the Olympic marathon route in Sydney back in 2000, they were still on city streets well into the decade. Even in the late 2000's markings were still visible on Macquarie Street for instance.
The blue marathon line can still be seen in some places today. One of the most obvious is on the City West Link - especially the bit where the lanes go underneath Victoria Rd, on the approach to the Anzac Bridge. :)

·
no, not that one.
91 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of what it looked like in the late 90s? I remember there was a canal like thing running through southbank, and the beach/pool was smaller.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts