Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
and COKE please
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was on the news tonight.
Will here more about it tomorrow.

Basically, Beattie wants to spend $2b (if it is a tunnel) on building a second rail river crossing in Brisbane.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Where abouts would this rail crossing be? Would it be near to the existing Merivale Bridge or further up towards the eastern side of the CBD with new city stations?

·
and COKE please
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didn't release any details like that.

Other than it would be 2 billion for a tunnel, or 1 billion for a bridge.
Go figure out a location which fits that description. It's needed because the merivale bridge will reach capacity in less than a decade.

My bet would be on it following the NSBT alignment from Park Rd to Fortitude Valley with three new stations along the route. Once BCC have finished with the tunnel machines, the State can use them again for this rail tunnel.

·
What a timeline we're in!
5,189 Posts
AG said:
Where abouts would this rail crossing be? Would it be near to the existing Merivale Bridge or further up towards the eastern side of the CBD with new city stations?
sounds good, i would support the idea if i was living in brisbane. Perth is spending 1.5, and people are complaining, they just don't see the merit of it, and this one will be the same, a great idea for an Australian city.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Yes they said something on the news about it just then. Something about several new underground city stations!!!!

jt

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
JayT said:
Yes they said something on the news about it just then. Something about several new underground city stations!!!!

jt
Thats right :D

It's times like these you gotta like Premier Pete.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
I saw that on an update earlier.

Another addition to the PT infrasturcture going on.

Im sure people will stil manage to complain were not spending enought though

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Malt said:
I saw that on an update earlier.

Another addition to the PT infrasturcture going on.

Im sure people will stil manage to complain were not spending enought though
No, I think I was the only one :p
Everyone else seems to be content with sitting in traffic 2 hours per day :D :jk:

But hopefully a new station will be included in the Petrie Bight district, because high density living really requires close access to PT, otherwise living in the city is sort of a contradiction. but who cares, they're building new crossings and underground stations!

I'm thinking this probably would be finished around the 2012-2015 mark.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Guys - here is a link to the rail page forum - they are just like us except they are railnerds instead of skyscrapernerds:D

If there is any news these guys will have it first!!

http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11302715.htm

jt

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Here is some info - from railpage
Premier & Trade
The Hon. Peter Beattie MP
14 April 2005

First Class Berth For City Rail In Infrastructure Plan

Premier Peter Beattie has revealed the South East Queensland Infrastructure Plan will include an investigation of a new Brisbane River rail crossing and an expanded inner-city rail system.

Mr Beattie said the project was just a taste of the Infrastructure Plan, to be released on 27 April.

"This $4.5 million investigation could lead to a second rail bridge over the Brisbane River, or a tunnel under the river, plus new stations and tracks," Mr Beattie said.

"It could possibly even lead to a new inner-Brisbane network of tunnels.

"We will need a second rail crossing of the Brisbane River at some future date, to meet demand from the one million extra people who will live in the region in the next 20 years - not to mention the extra tourists and business travellers.

"Estimates suggest the Merivale Bridge and CBD rail tunnels will approach capacity by 2016.

"We are talking about a huge investment of dollars and thousands of jobs for skilled workers.

"A river tunnel alone would cost well over $2 billion, while a bridge would cost well over $1 billion.

"It is imperative that the planning, feasibility and design work are spot-on.

"You could not have a tunnel unless you expanded the inner-city underground rail system."

The investigations will commence in 2006-07 and take an estimated three years.

"The rocketing popularity of the Citytrain network is driving planning for more rail services," Mr Beattie said.

"Last year, through our Smart State Building Fund, the Government announced a $247 million expansion of track and rail services on the Beenleigh-Gold Coast line.

"Add to this $123M for track duplication and extension of the rail line to a new station at Reedy Creek, which the government announced last month.

"Ultimately, many of these extra trains roll into Roma Street across the Merivale Bridge.

"I love this extra demand for rail, because it is a safe and environmentally friendly way to travel, and the more it is used the more we can invest in a world-class service for Queenslanders," Mr Beattie said.

The Merivale Bridge opened on 18 November 1978, to meet the needs of electrification of the Citytrain network which commenced in 1979.

"Back then, locomotives hauled passenger carriages," Mr Beattie said.

"Today about 90,000 passenger services and 3,000 freight services cross the bridge in each direction every year.

"The fact we are talking about another rail crossing 27 years after the Merivale Bridge was opened underlines the government's determination to plan smartly for the escalating popularity of South-East Queensland."

14 April 2005

Media contact: 3224 4500
http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/display-statement.pl?id=6230&db=media

jt

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
JayT said:
Guys - here is a link to the rail page forum - they are just like us except they are railnerds instead of skyscrapernerds:D

If there is any news these guys will have it first!!

http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11302715.htm

jt
Oh btw, I'm a member of railpage so if there's any info...not to fear...I'll post it here :D

I think I'm gonna give myself the title of "brissy transport info kid dude dipshit'
everyone happy with that?

·
Registered
295 Posts
There is a proposal I've heard has been floating around in QR evidently as long ago as the 70's. A tunnel with stations at Spring Hill, Central, Queen St Mall, QUT, then under rive to Wooloongabba.

·
Yeah but No!!
1,514 Posts
No we had state elections last year so we have a few years to go yet. Announcements like these are making me happy with Pete again, I had started to lose a little confidence last year but am happy with the infrastructure planning recently announced.

As for more rail stations and a rail river crossing, bring it on!!!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts