SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kyiv's mayor Olexandr Omelchenko announced today that the construction of new stations will be completed and grand opening will occur on the day of celebrations of Ukrainian Independence on August 24th, 2005.

Note that since I came to this forum, 3 new stations had opened and these two now will open. 5 stations in a year - that's a record ;)

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New stations are usually design-less, so whether in 1960's or in 2010's, they'll always look pretty much similar. There are several types, a "tube" like the first picture and "sorokonozhka" with 40 columns, it's rectangular.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
^ Nobody older than 25 should be allowed to design any new projects in EE.

We need people who aren't afraid to take risks; enough with this municipal mentality that any project is enough - protest! Demand metro stations that will be tourist attractions! :D

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you see the first pic now?

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
argh.... you're missing the point here. These are not showrooms for beauty contests, - they are metro stations, which are a necessarily for transportation of tens of thousands of people on hourly basis.

What is fantastic about it is that in a short period of time, in one year, 5 stations are opening in Kyiv. And that's not even in all of Ukraine, 2 new stations opened in Kharkiv last year. Also construction of a vital downtown station in Dnipropetrovs'k is underway. That besides the continuation of construction of a first metro-line in Donec'k.

Metro is not a luxury, like a monorail for tourists or something. Metro is a necessary transportation without which hundreds of thousands of people won't be able to get to work/education facility on time.

For those who are not metro-geeks/enthusiasts:

In soviet union, when construction was relatively cheap and fully financed, approximately 5 stations appeared every 5-7 years.

·
Старий М
5,285 Posts
I don't care how it looks. I'm only happy that Kyiv is modernizing and adding necessary structures to make the city more productive and popular :)

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And it doesn't look any worse than an average metro station in the world.

And better than an average station in North America.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
^ I agree, it is very good as far as metro stations go, but that shouldn't be enough for countries "coming out" like our own. They should make EVERYTHING new as best they can, exciting. :D Inspiring. :D

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can always refer to new-york subway stations to make ours look good

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts