Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 830 Posts

·
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we can say this is under construction now. i passed by today and they were digging out all the soil around the area and they were pumping out the water from the foundations they dug a week or two ago. it definatley looked under construction, builders everywhere. they were also building some shuttering.

im pretty sure we'll see some more action soon :)

Renderings:

i imagine a lot of you wont think its officially U/C yet. but its pretty much there

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Indexed. I don't find this as offensive as 1 St Paul's Place, but its still a bit dissapointing if you ask me. When you look at Sinclairs and Velocity that have been completed since this was designed you can see how good new builds in the centre of the city can look like.

·
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think the quality of the facade is where we are going to gain points on this building. it looks good in the rendering

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
I actually really like the design of this. Great that it's nearly U/C (I won't say it is till we see concrete ;)). Also, good news that two of the units are under offer.

On another note, I was thinking, architects (and us) have a completely different view of buildings to the average Joe on the street. They look at buildings and see 'a box', or 'a tall building' or 'a monstrosity'. We look at them and appreciate (weather negatively or positively) the architectural details. This means that buildings that we think are decent, others may not like. (Dunno if any of that makes sense). I mean take the SPP 1, although it's not the most innovative of buildings design wise I think it's actually quite interesting. The shape, flaps on the side, sandstone etc, are all nice features. However, people who aren't so interested in buildings will just see a block.

·
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the general public are happy with their ignorance, the kind of people that annoy me are the ones that complain that unusual buildings are too wierd or are out of place or the colour is too extreme, then they complain that all buildings are all boxy-squares and boring. i have met a lot of these people and have almost killed them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Who's the main Contractor working on this one?

I'm on holiday at the moment, so I've not had a chance to walk through the city centre this last week (probably not a bad thing, all things considered).

Regards

Doom

·
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well theres a bowmer & kirkland sign on the site, finnegan are building the car park and shepherd are building the tower.

·
Registered
137 Posts
well theres a bowmer & kirkland sign on the site, finnegan are building the car park and shepherd are building the tower.
Cheers Hella,

B&K did the hotel so that makes sense, especially considering how much work they're doing in Sheffield at the moment.

Regards

Doom

·
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i imagine that we wont see anything rise for a while, after all they have to dig the rest of the site out, then lay the foundations and we all know how long that takes. however this is a smaller building widthwise and heightwise in comparison to the tower so i think it will pich up speed after the preliminary works are done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We need a thread for some of the developments around kelham island, especially down the riverside, walked past there this lunch and theyve put some rather unusual sheet copper up the front of one new building. Very cool! Its the one right next to the pub on the riverside. Opposite the student halls.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I may well agree Apshelto but mention this in the skybar rather than this project thread.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
This isn't really U/C is it? ;)
Has anybody got access to ST Pauls 1, or the councils offices to look over the fence "so to speak" !!!! (with camera)?

Could do with a web cam on some of these jobs !

·
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well nothings happened for a bit... grr

if you go to the city lofts showroom on the first floor, the view is a little bit better. but thats as high as the public can get :(

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
Any of Hallam buildings offer a good enough view?

1 - 20 of 830 Posts